Bodybuilding in geezerhood?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm 65, female and interested in getting back into bodybuilding after almost a 10 year lay-off :blush:; but, it is really hard to find much of anything on the net about this hobby after age 50. Heck, even after 40 it gets harder.
This seems as if it would be a really GREAT thing for us old folks to do--especially for us women who seem to be the victims of weak bones more than the guys. I'm wondering why there aren't more women (or men) interested in bodybuilding as they age?
Any men here or women that are into this now--especially if you are over 50 on this board? Any helpful information you would like to pass on?

Are you talking about serious bodybuilding, or strength training/weight-bearing exercises? If it's the latter, then yes, I'm 50 and have been working with weights at home for about 5 years. I'm not into it in any serious way, just trying to do enough to maintain some strength and stay in shape. I use this book for most of the exercises:

Amazon.com: Strength Training for Women (9780873227520): James A. Peterson…

There are lots of good books out there, this just happens to be the one I own. And I've also picked up a couple more good exercises (like kickbacks) from the internet.

I will be 56 next month and like ksr I try to do some weight training combined with aerobic activity and flexibility exercise. My goal is to zip the pants on my size 10/12's and not need an extra airline seat when I fly coach.:LOL:

Are you talking about serious bodybuilding, or strength training/weight-bearing exercises? If it's the latter, then yes, I'm 50 and have been working with weights at home for about 5 years. I'm not into it in any serious way, just trying to do enough to maintain some strength and stay in shape. I use this book for most of the exercises:

Amazon.com: Strength Training for Women (9780873227520): James A. Peterson…

There are lots of good books out there, this just happens to be the one I own. And I've also picked up a couple more good exercises (like kickbacks) from the internet.

Not meaning to get into it in the "I gotta take steroids to build up these pecs" way. More for strength training and getting the flab back into muscle way. You look better, but you feel SO much better when you are in shape or, at least, I surely did. Sitting on my can for all these years has done nothing (and I mean nothing) for me physically or mentally.:( Back to the gym for moi!

But why no contests for geezers out there in bodybuilding? Not enough folks interested?

The Crossfit site and the accompanying forum has lots of interesting and informative stuff. The exercises are more intense than I'm interested in, but the concepts of compound exercises, and heavy weights, are useful nonetheless.

Orchidflower,
Thanks so much for bringing this up. I think there needs to be more support for fitness for those of us 60+. As usual, methinks it will have to come from us. Right now I walk daily, and do some workouts with a wheelbarrow in my garden.

My problem is that I don't like gyms - I like to be engaged when I exercise. Maybe I'll have to take up wood-cutting:LOL:

My first suggestion is to talk to your doc about it. Next, start slowwwwwly.

I have areas that I can't put much strain on, so I have to avoid them. Been doing my own resistance training for a while now and am getting toned.

I use this....

Attachments

• DSC01568.jpg
    DSC01568.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 21
Orchidflower,
Thanks so much for bringing this up. I think there needs to be more support for fitness for those of us 60+. As usual, methinks it will have to come from us. Right now I walk daily, and do some workouts with a wheelbarrow in my garden.

My problem is that I don't like gyms - I like to be engaged when I exercise. Maybe I'll have to take up wood-cutting:LOL:

I bought a plastic bench that has different levels you can make it, so that you can move it to different styles (level, slanted, slightly slanted, etc.) and think I paid like $45 for it ages ago. And, of course, I have weights from 3-10 lbs., so I am able to do my workouts at home if I want; good question is why haven't I been doing that the last 10 years? I ask myself that very question all the time lately.

Yup, I get why some don't like gyms. My fantasy is that I'm going to be straining while lifting and pass gas in public...haha!:whistle::D Oops!!!!

But why no bodybuilding contests for the over 50 crowd I wonder:confused:?

bbbamI:
Great piece of equipment. Pricey? What brand is this? Assume you like this and it works well for you? Any advice if buying something like this?

It is a Pacific Fitness...we bought the 'death machine' about 15 years ago and I think we paid $900.

I like it because it's a quality piece of exercise equipment and enables me to work all my body parts with different weights and resistance. My advice to anyone thinking about purchasing something like this is to go to a gym and try out the different machines. Buying something you think you'll use is a mistake.

Take your time before you buy. :)

bbbamI:
Great piece of equipment. Pricey? What brand is this? Assume you like this and it works well for you? Any advice if buying something like this?

Bought a similar piece of equipment off of Craigslist for $45... :cool:

I go to an all woman gym and there are plenty of women doing weight lifting but from what I've observed the older woman with the best bodies do lots of yoga . I may have to trade my swim suit for a leotard .

Yup, I get why some don't like gyms. My fantasy is that I'm going to be straining while lifting and pass gas in public...haha!:whistle::D Oops!!!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But why no bodybuilding contests for the over 50 crowd I wonder:confused:?

I think there are contests. A couple of years ago I was looking for something about the private school that my son was attending and google turned up an article about the female head of the school who is in her early 60s. The article showed a before and after picture of her. The before picture was in her late 50s, overweight. The after picture was with her in a bodybuilder pose. Anyway it indicated that she at age 60 had won a master's bodybuilding competition in the over 35 division. I actually found it very inspirational to see what a dramatic difference there was between her appearance in only a couple of years.

I have no advice for you Orchidflower, but if you get into serious 65+ bodybuilding pictures are a must. Female bodybuilders are hot! :)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You mean I'm not supposed to do that? No wonder the gym is always empty... :whistle:

Well I'll admit the 'death machine' has gathered dust from time to time and maybe I was a fool (I'm good at that in many other areas as well) for paying $900 instead of a fraction of the cost.

Anyway....

Once you find a piece of equipment that works well for your body, shop around. If you can find a used one be sure to check out the stability. You also need to check the straps, cables and any areas where the equipment may be welded for wear and tear. Some exercise equipment has to be set up in a certain way, so be sure it's done right.

Now that my daughter has vacated my basement, I've thought about making it into an exercise area. The weight machine like bbbami has really looks interesting. I really do have problems with motivation tho soooo...... Gosh, my basement would be great for exercise if I would only motivate myself.

I have lost weight (about 23 pounds) over the last year. My daughter saw me today and asked if I was losing muscle. She thinks my calves are getting skinny. Weight training would be good.:duh:

I don't like gyms either. My problem is I don't like their fees or getting out in bad weather in the winter time.

One reason there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in weight training among women over 50, is that it wasn't considered "something girls did."

Nowadays I would say it is a sign of responsibility for older folks to train with weights, assuming your health allows it. Every ounce of muscle you lose, increases your potential dependence on others.

Amethyst

There are some great books on exercise for strictly women on Amazon.com; however, I got this book for my son for Xmas. Looked pretty good, and I think I am going to buy one for myself, too. It must have 900 exercises in it--some with machines, some free weights, some using a ball, just a whole variety:

Amazon.com: The Men's Health Big Book of Exercises: Four Weeks to a Leaner, Stronger, More Muscular You! (9781605295503): Adam Campbell MS CSCS: Books

Don't let the "Men's Health" title scare you if you're female. Exercises are pretty much all the same for both sexes.:rolleyes: And I think I paid a total of $15 or so for it (cheap) then.

Moemg: All the thin, fit women do seem to do yoga; but, have you ever seen even once a fat woman trying a class? Seems yoga only draws the thin, fit ones to begin with. Just IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom