Bond index funds are longer than they were.

Jmo1969

Recycles dryer sheets
The Barclays US aggregate index bond fund has increased from a 3.7year duration (2008) to a 5.6 year duration today. Basically the index fund you bought 5-6 years ago has significantly more interest rate risk today near the lows in yield. Something to ponder.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

How is this bond index determined, I wonder?

It is based on something objective and the duration lengthening is a fall-out of that criteria, and not because of yield chasing, right?

Most are based on Barclays aggregate bond indexes. I don't completely understand how they manage the indexes, but these fact sheets are good starting points

The Barclays US aggregate index bond fund has increased from a 3.7year duration (2008) to a 5.6 year duration today. Basically the index fund you bought 5-6 years ago has significantly more interest rate risk today near the lows in yield. Something to ponder.

It's been a good bet so far in 2015 as long rates continue to drop.

Personally I'm sticking with intermediate over short-term duration bond funds.

Last edited:
Most are based on Barclays aggregate bond indexes. I don't completely understand how they manage the indexes, but these fact sheets are good starting points
I glanced at one, and still do not understand exactly how each component is weighted. Perhaps it is simply by the amount of debt outstanding, similarly to the S&P being weighted by market cap. If so, then the lengthening of the bond index simply reflects the desire of bond purchasers willing to lend money to longer durations.

I glanced at one, and still do not understand exactly how each component is weighted. Perhaps it is simply by the amount of debt outstanding, similarly to the S&P being weighted by market cap. If so, then the lengthening of the bond index simply reflects the desire of bond purchasers willing to lend money to longer durations.

Yes - I believe it is an attempt to capture the characteristics of the total amount of debt outstanding.

I am in the same boat, so we are either dumb, they aren't very good writers, or it is really complicated.

I know that corporations have been issuing a lot of long term debt at the low interest rates. I would assume that would length the average maturity. But the bulk of the bond market is US government debt and mortgage backed securities and I don't think the duration on the debt has changed much.

A very detailed article written by James Moore and Scott Spalding on Pimco.com. Passive-Aggressive: Index funds and risk....

Ah, a simple explanation in, what else, Wikipedia. I never regret making a donation to them.

Most bond indices are weighted by market capitalization. This results in the bums problem, in which less creditworthy issuers with a lot of outstanding debt constitute a larger part of the index than more creditworthy ones.

Back
Top Bottom