Bone Broth drinkers?

vafoodie

Recycles dryer sheets
I just started drinking bone broth for all the health benefits. I’ve added it to my IF LC regimen. So far, I’ve lost 3 lbs and have definitely seen improvement in my digestion. Anyone else try it?

Just another source of nutrients. It is supposed to be good for healing the gut lining. I made my own using the instant pot. It was very good stuff, but I don’t see how it would help with weight loss. Maybe it’s good to settle the digestive system.

Some people go on a bone broth fast.

Just another source of nutrients. It is supposed to be good for healing the gut lining. I made my own using the instant pot. It was very good stuff, but I don’t see how it would help with weight loss. Maybe it’s good to settle the digestive system.

Some people go on a bone broth fast.

We don't directly drink it, but we also us the instapot to make soup base from chicken and turkey bones. Aside: we don't care for turkey dark meat, but it's great it soup. Flavor is much milder.

I don't drink it straight, but do frequently add it to soups and stews instead of regular broth.

We make and store bone and vegetable broth all the time to use in soups, stews and such...
added a pint to the chili I made at work today...

DW got some from Costco and made some soup with it instead of chicken broth. We may try other brands, but all I could think is that it smelled like canned cat food. We went back to using chicken broth. Maybe we’ll try to make our own in the insta pot.

The home made stuff makes a nice nutritious hot drink. Of course that’s if you have a decent recipe!

Bone broth ... yum... now we're talking! :popcorn:

Just the name "bone broth" reminds me of the recipe for Witch's Brew in Shakespeare's Macbeth:

Shakespeare said:
Fillet of a fenny snake, In the cauldron boil and bake; Eye of newt and toe of frog, Wool of bat and tongue of dog, Adder’s fork and blind-worm’s sting, Lizard’s leg and owlet’s wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

I know it's not really anything evil but just the name gives me the creeps! :ROFLMAO: So no, I haven't ingested any bone broth (yet?).

Last edited:
I like beef bone broth, mixed with some worcestershire sauce, a drop or two of tabasco and some vodka. A bullshot

Taking bone broth one step further.
We were very poor growing up and this was a tasty and cheap meal. I loved this when I was kid, even now when I go back home, I always head to the butchers to get some. It grosses all my family out, they won't even try it.

https://www.tartantastes.com/2014/11/scottish-recipes-potted-hough.html

The Swedes (and probably most other cultures) have a similar thing, that DW will usually make at Christmas time, called "Veal Sylta". I only recently came to realize that "Sylta" is Swedish for "jelly" (it's also on the label of some Lingonberry preserves). And Veal is Swedish for... "veal" (although it seems the original Swedish is "kalvsylta" - calf sylta)!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jellied_veal

I guess the jellied parts (natural gelatin) can turn some people off, often ham has a similar jelly. At any rate, I like it, as do our kids.

Now "Head Cheese" - that's similar and good too, but needs some work from their PR department!

-ERD50

As long as the broth isn't like fat swimming in broth (like ox tails broth), thumbs up on broth.

I like bone broth, but often with beef, there is so much collagen in the broth that unless the soup is hot, the texture gets weirded out with some film developing on top... It's a turn-off...

Now "Head Cheese" - that's similar and good too, but needs some work from their PR department!

Not at all!
When I was a kid, we had a wonderful German deli in the neighborhood and two of my favorite things were head cheese and blood sausage.

Oh I definitely go for the oxtails!

DW makes the best oxtail soup. Bison tail also when we can get it. When the temperature drops in late fall it’ll be a regular menu item for us. :dance:

I don't think my mum ever made oxtail soup and I really don't know why, she made every other kind of soup. We always had the Heinz canned Oxtail and it was good but I bet homemade is even better.
Black Pudding, the British version of Blood Sausage was so good fried up for breakfast with bacon,eggs, tomatoes and fried bread or deep fried at the Fish and Chip shop.
This thread is making me so hungry....

The collagen in the broth is one of the main nutrient benefits of bone broth.

I just keep stirring as I drink it.

When we get our annual beef, we get an ample supply of "soup bones". DW takes some of the bones and puts the in the crock pot/slow cooker for 2-3 days. Some bones are harvested for their bone marrow which goes into a Octopus dish we love with Sangiovese, Fusilli, and a rich San Marzano tomato sauce. The bone marrow broth gets put into a conainer , then use it to supplement any beef dish. We have had it in a beef soup with mushrooms , onions and potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom