Boomers preventing their own retirement?

I've had friends whose parents have subsidized their early adulthood, and personally I think it's due more to the parents being unable to let go. It's selfish, and I think it does more damage to the children than the parents would like to believe.

Right on the money; it's all about keeping them dependent and (selfish) parental control.

Lance

PS-When a mother/father says my 14 year old daughter/son is my "best friend, I want to throw up. How does one tell ones "best friend" to clean up their room, to come home on time and to cut the grass?

PS-When a mother/father says my 14 year old daughter/son is my "best friend, I want to throw up. How does one tell ones "best friend" to clean up their room, to come home on time and to cut the grass?
By those criteria our kid is pretty sure that we're her worst enemies.

Especially when she lets me kick her in the head.*

*Sparring at tae kwon do, wearing a helmet, and usually right after she's kicked me in the head... only enough contact to score the points and never hard enough to cause problems.

Lance:
Nords:
Well, I back you both up. I think we need more active fathers within the family system.

David Blankenhorn, Author of Fatherless America notes that 80% of the young men in juvenile detention facilities were raised without fully participating fathers. He also points out that prison is our #1 social program for young men. .. But that’s a whole other topic…

Be well, stay strong!
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement

Not really. I would say "you get what you pay for", but that isn't exactly true in this case... you (all of us, actually) pay far, far too much for public education, and the result that we get is a sad joke. Sending your kids to public indoctrination centers is far too likely to leave them with a legacy of misery... unable to think creatively or rationally, pumped full of liberal, politically-correct nonsense, and basically not able to compete in the real world.

if I had kids, I would send them to a private school that was accountable to me, that had to compete for my dollars and earn them with results.

Well, that's throwing down the gauntlet, ain't it? It may surprise you that the public schools that my kids attend are outstanding and accountable to the parents. They are every bit as good as the local private schools. The local schools (both public and private) enjoy outstanding reputations academically, artistically, and athletically.

Oh, I help teach at a private university / medical school, so I think I have a yardstick to help measure education. I'm sorry your local public schools are so dismal in your eyes. What are you gonna do about it?

Well done Nords :) I'm sure she respects you for enforcing the rules, even if she may, uhm "protest" at times :)

Off topic, but I think ER and parenting are a great fit. Kids need Dad and Mom to be around and parents have the opportunity to actually interact with their children as they grow up and become adults.

Preaching over :)

Back
Top Bottom