Borax in laundry…

I’ve started using the “sanitize” cycle on our front-loading LG washer about once a month on our cotton towels. It really minimizes any musty smell that bath towels start to get after awhile. I don’t use the cycle on every towel wash, because it takes 1 hr 50 minutes on extra hot/cold, but it has rescued my towels from being tossed.
I was trying to get to come out softer, without using fabric softeners. I assumed the “problem” was soap residue, so I was going for better cleaning and rinse. So I’m landing on baking soda w less detergent in wash and white vinegar in rinse, seems to be an improvement in clean for sure, soft not so sure…

Interesting about the TSP. May try it. My whites get gray/light brown/yellow after more and more washings, using regular detergent. I know I have some rust in both the dryer and washer, but am not willing to replace them since they are still working! Regular liquid detergent does get the gray out, but only when you pour it directly on the clothes. The parts that weren't poured onto stay gray.

I have added about 1/3 cup baking soda to our laundry for a long time, starting with kids cloth diapers 36 years ago.
Helps with odors, whitening, softening.

What about just putting about 20% more detergent into the wash?
Soap residue is the problem with most detergents, more detergent wouldn't help that. You can read up on how baking soda, Borax and/or vinegar work with detergent if you're interested.

So it sounds like this might be a good approach to use once in a while, to get old residues out, w/o risking longer term damage to clothes that some have reported?

Not sure what "once in a while" should be, and/or if one of these replacements (Borax, TSP, baking soda, combo?) should replace all/most of the old laundry detergent, to help get rid of the residue?

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom