Boxes for CD moving/storage?

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I’m wondering if anyone has found good boxes for moving and/or storing standard sized compact discs. What size/source/capacity?

I have a few hundred that I’ve now ripped to computer/external drive but I’m one of those who likes to retain the original.

Thanks for suggestions/tips!

I use these:

https://www.target.com/p/snap-n-store-disc-storage-box-black/-/A-51231364

They hold the cd with the case. Unfortunately, that takes up a lot of room. I’m thinking of separating my disc from the case and just keeping the disc. I’d store them in one of those spindles that blank CDs come packaged in.

I’m also thinking about just getting rid of all of it since I haven’t listened to a physical cd in I don’t know how long. Actually, I don’t even listen to my digital version. I just stream now.

I bought sleeves that hold 2 CDs and liner notes.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QMQSC3D

I verified that they fit the CDs as advertised, but haven't started otherwise. They'll take up a lot less room without the jewel cases. I figure I can find a shoebox or two to fit them, or get something like the case Jerry showed.

I'm going to at least keep my favorites because I have a 100 CD player that I still listen to thru my home surround sound system. I want them with the liner notes so they are easy to find. Anything I care at all about I've ripped to mp3. Maybe I should redo my favorites to FLAC or some other lossless format though I can't really tell the difference.

We donated over 500 CD's to our local library after we ripped them. We also gave away the big CD player, amp, and speakers (boat anchors)

I got something like this, a 4x4 disc album. I just crammed all the liners that had anything interesting on them in the pocket inside the front cover, but you could put it in the same sleeve or one adjacent to the disc. These save a LOT of space, so it's worth it, IMO, since I only ever take them out to re-rip them to a new device.

I recently completed a cross-country move which included a few hundred CDs (I like to hang onto this stuff too). I had many medium size packing boxes to fill with all belongings. The weight of CDs en masse mounts up quickly so to distribute this weight I packed a few dozen discs into the bottoms of the first several boxes I packed, filling the majority of each box with lighter items.

I brought all mine in the move, though it's questionable, as I have them all digitized (lossless FLAC - and backed up).

...They hold the cd with the case. Unfortunately, that takes up a lot of room. I’m thinking of separating my disc from the case and just keeping the disc. I’d store them in one of those spindles that blank CDs come packaged in. ...

Ya got me thinking. The only thing I might want is the liner notes. I don't need the disc or case, I've got digital copies of the disc. That would save a lot of space and weight.

Hmmmm, maybe, maybe a scan of the disc if the artwork is interesting?

... I’m also thinking about just getting rid of all of it since I haven’t listened to a physical cd in I don’t know how long. Actually, I don’t even listen to my digital version. I just stream now.

I signed up for a streaming service (Qobuz), however the UI is awful. I like to listen to albums, and it seems much more 'track' oriented. I need many different categories of playlists of albums, not tracks.

And I've got some odd stuff in my collection, and vinyl that was never put on CD. So streaming isn't the total answer for me. But it sure opens up a world of stuff I sort of wanted, but if I bought every CD I sort of wanted, I'd need a warehouse (and a job to pay for them).

We donated over 500 CD's to our local library after we ripped them. We also gave away the big CD player, amp, and speakers (boat anchors)

Technically not legal to rip them and pass on the originals. Not that anyone will track you down, just sayin'. I'm a bit torn on that myself, though I have purchased a couple oddball CDs from thrift shops, so that's just the other end of the deal, I guess.

... We also gave away the big CD player, amp, and speakers (boat anchors)

I won't ever willingly give up the big amp and speakers!

I recently completed a cross-country move which included a few hundred CDs (I like to hang onto this stuff too). I had many medium size packing boxes to fill with all belongings. The weight of CDs en masse mounts up quickly so to distribute this weight I packed a few dozen discs into the bottoms of the first several boxes I packed, filling the majority of each box with lighter items.

Yes, good idea to break up the weight. Movers want to stack everything, and timing wise, the heavy box might go on top. Movers ask that all boxes be filled with something, so they won't crush when stacked.

-ERD50

I’m wondering if anyone has found good boxes for moving and/or storing standard sized compact discs. What size/source/capacity?

I have a few hundred that I’ve now ripped to computer/external drive but I’m one of those who likes to retain the original.

Thanks for suggestions/tips!

Container Store has great ones. They are clear hard plastic, smaller than a shoe box, and very fit for purpose.

These are great ideas, everyone - thanks!

The reference to the Container Store sounded similar to what I have in mind. A search turned this up:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/iris-large-media-storage-box/d?q=Cd+boxes&productId=10028031

I’ve been on an Amazon buying spree lately due to Discover offering a 5% cash back through the end of 2021 so I have this on my list.

Fortunately I’m not in a hurry as my collection is currently on nice wooden display racks that I’ve had for years so they can stay there for a while. But practically, I’m like many in that I can play everything through a thumb tap since the collection has been ripped (a mind-numbingly boring task!).

Iris Media Box holds CDs one direction or VHS the other, two sizes avail.
IRISusaINC.com

Back
Top Bottom