Brag

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OK, I'm usually not the bragging type
rolleyes.gif
But I can't help it this time. At the ripe age of 62, figuring all my best sailboat regatta days were in the past, the sailing gods took pity on me. Last week I crewed on a friend's boat and we won 3 of 3 races. Today I raced my own boat and won 2 of 2. That's five straight victories in two weeks. Makes it extra sweet in that I had not raced my own boat in two years. So now I can quit while I'm ahead to a point I will never reach again...well, there is one last regatta next weekend
wink.gif

Congratulations. Hope that next weekend treats you as well.

Nice winning streak! But, IMHO, if you really want to brag, you need to tell us a tale of the special tactics you used to beat the competition. Otherwise, we might think it was a lucky streak. :)

Nice winning streak! But, IMHO, if you really want to brag, you need to tell us a tale of the special tactics you used to beat the competition. Otherwise, we might think it was a lucky streak. :)

It's easy to win if you are the only one racing... :D

twaddle, I primarily rely on the old adage: [SIZE=-1]"Age and treachery will always defeat youth and skill." [/SIZE]
evil.gif
One of the racers was maybe 22 -- could have been my kid ... oh no, could have been my grandkid
tongue.gif
He will learn not to challenge geezers
knuppel2.gif

[SIZE=-1]
Texas Proud, now you're revealing my secret [/SIZE]
smiley.gif

This morning, having sobered up somewhat from the after race party, I realize I omitted the most important reason for my victory: having DW on the boat keeping me from making dumber mistakes than I usually make -- not to mention bringing delicious food to eat between races.

The races were very challenging, with wind shifting 180 degrees (!) from start to finish. The forecast was 10-15 from the west, in reality it started from the north and clocked around east to the south. In one race, we raced to windward both going to the mark and returning from the mark. Then there was current that went from 0 to about 2 knots.

In the first race we switched positions with the second place boat (out of six) at least 4 times in the race, so it became a great tactical race. In the second race we played wind and currents just right, and got so far ahead of the fleet we almost lost sight of them. I love that type of situation. Then the wind died and the current was against us, so for a time we were making negative progress to the finish, while the boats in back kept catching up. Luckily the wind returned, or I would not have been able to pull out of a very deep depression.

I better stop before I get into the "there we were ..." moments.

I'm 62 and have been sailing since I was 14. I've only raced once in that time. I always figured that it would be a good idea to race so no one else would be in last place. The only race I participated in, we came in so late that the race party had broken up before we got back to the dock. :cool:

Guesss I'm just a cruiser at heart. Glad to hear someone actually wins those things/

Jim.

S/V Wind Angel

Twaddle, maybe I'm dense, but could you explain your signature motto---especially the last part ending with "..........buddameouk"?

Won my last race around 1980 or so, a huge regatta with multiple classes within the race. It was a memorable moment as the gun fired at the finish line with second place barely in site. Got many congrats from the group at the after-race-party that evening, and some of the other captains were very skilled at sailing. It was a moment I never felt I needed to repeat.

I haven't race once since that day.

Congratulations SoonToRetire. I know where you're coming from.

I'm 62 and have been sailing since I was 14. I've only raced once in that time. I always figured that it would be a good idea to race so no one else would be in last place. The only race I participated in, we came in so late that the race party had broken up before we got back to the dock. :cool:

Guesss I'm just a cruiser at heart. Glad to hear someone actually wins those things/

Jim.

S/V Wind Angel

Jim, beautiful Irwin Ketch! Thanks for providing your link, that gives me more to read through, I love these personalized boat sites. I'm not a cruiser but glancing at some of your stories I've had some of the same problems when we've chartered, such as jamming windlasses. Best of luck in your cruises, and hope you document them online so we can all share in your adventures.

When we started racing we were usually DFL if you know what that means (Dead F* Last). Actually, we began our DFL finishes after we improved. At first we had a hard time even figuring out the course. Then we were able to find the start line and begin the race, but would not finish. I remember a couple of times we spotted the finish line from our usual last place, but we could not get closer. Then we saw that the line was moving away from us. Turns out the committee boat had given up on us, had pulled up anchor, and was dragging the pin away as we were chasing it!

Now we're better but I keep telling myself this racing stuff is bumping up against my age and we should start cruising. But we don't have a cruiser, so that limits things a bit. We did have a Watkins 27 that we used to cruise a bit close to shore, but DW didn't appreciate the beauty of simple living in 250 sq ft of space in the same way I did, so we eventually sold it.
sad.gif
Would love to have something like your Irwin, though!

Heh SoonToR, Maybe I missed it but what boat were you racing?

Jim (GladToBeFree), Beautiful Ketch and great story. Doesn't that boat have a shoal draft swing keel? Just curious how efficient-reliable it is [have my forever dreaming eye on a 39' Irwin Citation]

Used to race in a Hobie fleet with an old grad school buddy many moons ago. Competitive but lots of fun.

Heh SoonToR, Maybe I missed it but what boat were you racing?

Jim (GladToBeFree), Beautiful Ketch and great story. Doesn't that boat have a shoal draft swing keel? Just curious how efficient-reliable it is [have my forever dreaming eye on a 39' Irwin Citation]

Used to race in a Hobie fleet with an old grad school buddy many moons ago. Competitive but lots of fun.

The boat came with three options for a keel. One of them was a swing keel, but I've never seen one. I don't know if any were sold. This one has the shallow draft (4' 9") keel. Doesn't go to windward worth a hoot. Thanks goodness for 140 gallons of diesel and a 62 HP motor.

The 39' Citation seems to be a quality boat. There are a number on the Irwin mailing list sponsored at sailnet.com. If you are interested in Irwins that mailing list is a good resource as the folks there are very friendly and helpful.

Fair winds!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom