Branson, MO trip in July

Senator

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am planning a trip to Branson, MO just after I retire. I will plan on getting there on a Monday and leaving on a Friday, at least that is what I am thinking. I will be driving a car, and have a dog in tow. I may change the dates, or time frame, as I will be retired.

I am probably going to stay in a cabin at an RV Resort. That will be my RV lite introduction. At some point, I am thinking of getting a fifth wheel.

I think going to see an illusionist and zip lining would be fun. That takes care of one day.

Any suggestions on what to see or do on other days? How to get the best discounts? I know many places have Veterans discounts.

I would highly recommend you visit dogwood canyon. You can walk or bike on the trails. It is very pretty with rolling streams, waterfalls, bridges, wildlife and lots of greenery. My wife and I rented bikes there. They come with baskets so you can bring or purchase a lunch and take it on the ride and stop along the way. Home - Dogwood Canyon is the website.

Other than that, we saw a variety singing show in town which was pretty good. But personally we could only take 1 evening of the touristy town.

I would highly recommend you visit dogwood canyon. You can walk or bike on the trails. It is very pretty with rolling streams, waterfalls, bridges, wildlife and lots of greenery. My wife and I rented bikes there. They come with baskets so you can bring or purchase a lunch and take it on the ride and stop along the way. Home - Dogwood Canyon is the website.

Other than that, we saw a variety singing show in town which was pretty good. But personally we could only take 1 evening of the touristy town.

Thank you. That is definitely on the list! It looks like the dog can come too. These nature things are the things I like to do. A 6.5 mile leisurely walk gives a bit of exercise too.

If it's hot, there's a cave under Silver Dollar City. Don't think either are dog friendly. SDC is OK, if you're into that kind of thing.

ETA. There's always Springfield Cashew chicken, yum.

Last edited:
Take a spin down to Eureka Springs, Ark. It's a historical spa city with some neat old hotels. You can still get the spa treatment if you like. Otherwise the place has a great walkable downtown and fantastic scenery. The drive down from Branson is very pleasant too.

BTW, July in southwest Missouri will indeed be hot.

Good suggestions above (except for the Springfield Cashew Chicken!--although my "grew up there" DW would disagree with me. :LOL: ) And yes, it will likely be hot. We go there every year now for DW's family gathering and I enjoy it--even though I don't fish, not into the type of music upon which it revolves, and am not a fan of variety shows. Even with that, there is a lot to do/see.

If you are a fisherman, there are outstanding options in the area (or so I'm informed). Even if you aren't an outdoorsman, may want to stop for an afternoon in Springfield and visit the main location of Bass Pro. It is a good outdoor sports museum masquerading as a store.

If you are interested in the product at all, there is a nifty little distillery one block off of highway 65 just north of Branson: Copper Run Distillery - Artisan Distillery | Tasting Room | Online Store It is tiny, but good tours (used to be walk in; don't know if reservation needed now)

If you are interested in venturing out (like to Eureka Springs), and are a museum person, also consider Crystal Bridges art museum--a world class gift from the Waltons to the Mo/Ark ozarks: Home - Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

Second the Tablerock Dam tour and the museum that the Corps has there. Went through it last year and our entire group (teens to octogenarians, with a near-critical mass of engineers) enjoyed it.

Avoid the main strip in Branson if at all possible; it is often a gridlocked mess. With the new road construction over the past decade, it is doable--but for some reason, most people still insist on creeping down it, rather than zipping in to destination via a side road.

Take in some of the shows. Depending on what you like, there are several fun shows.

Above all, I'd recommend that you avoid the 4th of July as traffic will be at a standstill. Waiting until about 11 July would probably be good.
There are several zip lines in the area, and more to come. The one that seems to get steady positive reviews is north of town about 5 miles on hwy 65.
The lake is home to the Branson Bell, a paddle wheeler that features shows and a 5 course meal. The meal is actually quite good as is the entertainment.
Regarding illusionists, if Rick Thomas is playing, he is a must see.
Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede in another great show that also features a good meal.(no silverware allowed.)
If you enjoy Biblical themed productions, the "Sight and Sound" theatre is really quite amazing. Can't be beat for special effects.
All of these have their own extensive websites of course.

Enjoy!

Branson, MO in July?
Thank you but no thanks.
Been there in late October and it was still crowded.
Do not see the attraction.

If you have never done it before you can take a ride on the ducks. We will be going in May and staying at the Wilderness Club on Table Rock Lake. May is a great time to visit, not as hot or as crowded at July.

If you have never done it before you can take a ride on the ducks. We will be going in May and staying at the Wilderness Club on Table Rock Lake. May is a great time to visit, not as hot or as crowded at July.

I will definitely take in a duck ride. May may be a great time, but I am still working at that time...:nonono: Probably not too hard though...:dance:

I agree with everything above. You might want to stop at the Bass Pro store in Springfield.

+1

While you are there take free tours of the Table Rock Lake Dam and the fish hatchery.

There is also a fairly new "Dewey Short Visitors Center" at the dam. History of the dam and a little on area wildlife. From there you can take a 4.2 mile (roundtrip) lakeside trail that offers some interesting sights. It will end at a large marina where you can do most everything water and eat a great burger on the dock. Get a shaved ice afterwards. The trail is dog friendly.

+1

While you are there take free tours of the Table Rock Lake Dam and the fish hatchery.

Both are good, and both are free too.
We saw the fish hatchery, and the tour was very good with nice guides.
Later we walked along the river just below it, and here is my warning:

When you hear the siren, get off the riverbed immediately, so locals will delay a bit, but they will suddenly move too. As the river fills up fast and deep.
There are signs about it, but a person could misunderstand it.
We had no issues, but we were about 200 feet on the gravel riverbed from what would become the edge of the river.

There was free trolley/bus to take you all the shopping spots, so you can simply park and ride instead of fighting to find parking spots all over.

The School of Ozark (college) is very interesting, has a restaurant which is normal at lunch and fancy at suppertime. The students can get a degree for free, and you can tour around the place asking questions.

Back
Top Bottom