Breakfast

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Starting with a link, but open for your thoughts, suggestions, rationale, and maybe, "how I/we have changed over the years."

BBC - Future - Is breakfast really the most important meal of the day?

Excerpt:
In one US study that analysed the health data of 50,000 people over seven years, researchers found that those who made breakfast the largest meal of the day were more likely to have a lower body mass index (BMI) than those who ate a large lunch or dinner. The researchers argued that breakfast helps increase satiety, reduce daily calorie intake, improve the quality of our diet – since breakfast foods are often higher in fibre and nutrients – and improve insulin sensitivity at subsequent meals, which can be a risk for diabetes.

:cool:

Tell us about Breakfast at your house.

Last edited:
Healthiest meal of the day for me. Oat bran cereal very high in fiber with 1% milk. No coffee. Sometimes some fat free Greek yogurt.

Very irregular around our house. DW and I are home all day, and we eat breakfast together on weekends but usually not during the week since she is up and w*rking while I am still snoring. :) Weekday b-fast for me is usually cereal or an English muffin..sometimes a couple of eggs. ALWAYS coffee, though.

Weekend b-fasts are a bigger deal. Omelettes, pancakes or waffles, eggs Benedict...that kinda thing.

Breakfast at our crib

A bowl of steel cut oats with quinoa, dried cranberries and walnuts. Sweetened with a spoonful of agave nectar. Cup-o-joe with skim milk.

Occasionally, we substitute poached eggs on whole grain toast.

We eat a hearty cooked breakfast, then the largest meal of the day sometime in the afternoon, and cereal or oatmeal or something else very light in the evening.

From the prior thread:

1.Steel cut oats in an instant pot with banana and berries.

2. Bacon and eggs, sometimes with leftover French fries cooked in the bacon grease.

3.McDonald's either a breakfast burrito or an egg mcmuffin. All their other items blow my calories away.

4. We go out for a Mexican breakfast. I love migas or huevos rancheros, DW loves huevos con chorizo.

Number 4 is new on the list.

Last edited:
Usually an cheese omelette with vegetable sides and corn tortillas. Sometimes yogurt with fruit and open-faced grilled cheese. Always some fresh organic fruit. Vegetable/fruit smoothie.

Light breakfast, heavy lunch, mid afternoon snacks(s), dinner, then graze until bedtime. :LOL: How I only weight ~225 is beyond me.

It is for me. You don’t want to be around me if I haven’t had breakfast. [emoji34]

My breakfast is usually a two egg omelette stuffed with veggies and sometimes bacon or sausage. Thank goodness eggs are off the food Enemies List. At other times it’s a waffle made using yogurt and garbanzo bean flour with my fruit compote topping. Occasionally I will dose it with pure maple syrup. Coffee of course.

Have cut way back on cereal for breakfast as the shrinking packages made me angry.

Now, I eat "Mexican": tortillas de maiz, refritos, meat/egg, shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa picante.

Breakfast is highly variable here. On gym days of course we both try to keep it light, sometimes all I'll eat is a hard boiled egg, her maybe a banana, wait an hour or so and then go to the gym. On non-gym days we're both more open to a heavier meal, often a large salad with either chopped grilled chicken or an egg, or an omelet with ham, cheese and veggies, or leftovers from yesterday. On the unusual occasion when we go out for a late lunch/early dinner and eat a lot, I might skip breakfast altogether the next day if I'm just not hungry.

I try not to eat on a schedule, but only when hungry. If that means "skipping" a meal then so be it. It seems to work for me, this morning I was 147.5 lbs. on the scale. I'm 5'9".

Most days I eat either
Bacon, eggs, and spinach
or Oatmeal with berries.

Both with tea.

The bacon I buy already cooked from Costco and the berries are frozen from Costco. Total preparation time is about 3 minutes 30 seconds.

Later in the morning I have a banana/chocolate protein shake (if it is a lifting day at the gym).

The bacon I buy already cooked from Costco.

I discovered a few years ago that I can make bacon at home that is so much better than anything I can buy that the effort is well worth it. I know that a number of others here make their own bacon as well, so it's not just me.

I discovered a few years ago that I can make bacon at home that is so much better than anything I can buy that the effort is well worth it. I know that a number of others here make their own bacon as well, so it's not just me.

My brother does this too and it is really good. I’m getting hungry thinking about it!

The bacon I buy already cooked from Costco

How is that bacon? I’m thinking of getting that for Christmas breakfast so I don’t need to spend a lot of time cooking a few (3-5) pounds of bacon. And, how do you heat it up?

How is that bacon? I’m thinking of getting that for Christmas breakfast so I don’t need to spend a lot of time cooking a few (3-5) pounds of bacon. And, how do you heat it up?

I think it tastes good. To heat, I just put a couple slices in the same pan as my eggs.

Last edited:
I try not to eat on a schedule, but only when hungry. If that means "skipping" a meal then so be it. It seems to work for me, this morning I was 147.5 lbs. on the scale. I'm 5'9".

My Dad is on the same diet. He only eats when he's hungry. He has gained 70 pounds of fat since retiring 5 years ago at age 64. That 'plan' can work either way.

This study just shows studies don't mean anything. Breakfast is my smallest meal of the day. I eat a bowl of oatmeal every day and that's it. I eat larger meals at lunch or dinner depending on my work schedule. My BMI has always been under 20.

Last edited:
Each Sunday I make a "quiche" with a Quinoa crust, 6 eggs, turkey sausage, a bunch of chopped spinach and just enough cheese to make it edible. I have a slice each morning. On the 7th day, we breakfast out.

I don’t get hungry until 9:30 or so. I currently toil for megacorp starting at 6:30, so I only have breakfast on the weekends, if at all. DW has cereal everyday.

I have breakfast every morning. I mix it up. Sometimes cereal, oatmeal, eggs, or waffles. Always have coffee.

Cup of coffee, cigarette, and lil chocolate donuts.

Back
Top Bottom