Bring your State to the Party!

This thread is making me want to get out on the road and do an extended culinary road trip. :)

From Indiana, a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich...

IMG_0469.JPG

From Texas, BBQ baby!

IMG_0470.JPG

Malnati's, eh? I'll look for it my next trip out

(Cleverly disguised as a “Lou” from Lou Malnati’s—which also makes awesome not-deep dish pies)

My innocence is showing. All the deep dishes my Chicago relatives ever introduced me to were Gino's or Giordano's.

But they were fabulous!

Okay - full disclosure - I hijacked this topic from Reddit a few years back. However, I believe the members of this forum will be much more creative and informative.

So, here's the setup; FIRE.org is finally having the ultimate extended family picnic (per Dory) :greetings10:

Please bring some dish that is from your state / region / city, or country. Also, any other regional contribution. Most important, keep it lighthearted and fun. :dance:

I'll kick it off with North Carolina:

Dish - livermush (it actually tastes good, but belongs in the same health food group as bacon, sausage, etc)

Side - moonshine delivered in a Nascar vehicle at 200 MPH (turning left, of course) :D
Thanks for starting this.

BTW I'm 61 years old and that's only the second time in my life I've ever heard of "livermush" and both times were this week. Not surprisingly the fellow mentioned he was from North Carolina.

He was also talking about catching "cooters"(at least I thought that's what he was saying) from pond banks. I guess a cooter's a snapping turtle? Those can be tasty too.

Last edited:
Apps:Ceviche, Baked Scallops w/parmesan cheese,Octopus and squid calamari.
Soup: Chupe de Camarónes
Main: Tallarin or Lomo Saltado, Pollo ala Brasa
Dessert: Queso Helado (cheese ice cream), Torta tre leches
Drinks: Pisco Porton served straight, Pisco sour.

Adding additional Michigan favorites including:
- Pasties

For those unfamiliar with the UP, it should be made clear that these are pronounced PASS-tees, and are an import from Cornwall where they were a standard miner's lunch. Usually potato, turnip, and a bit of beef in a baked pastry shell. NOT the other kind. :LOL:

Pasty

Virginia can bring country ham on home made biscuits, baked macaroni and cheese, peanuts for appetizers, peach cobbler for dessert, and sweet iced tea. We also can provide lots of local wine, beer, and moonshine.

Apps:Ceviche, Baked Scallops w/parmesan cheese,Octopus and squid calamari.
Soup: Chupe de Camarónes
Main: Tallarin or Lomo Saltado, Pollo ala Brasa
Dessert: Queso Helado (cheese ice cream), Torta tre leches
Drinks: Pisco Porton served straight, Pisco sour.
No anticuchos?

What a thread!!!Thanks to all for sharing!

I have a couple road trips coming up. As I hit different states (well over a dozen), I'm gonna try some of the vittles listed. Very much looking forward to it. :dance:

For the question about cooters, I don't know for sure (only been here for 11 years). :)

You gonna stack those enchiladas N.M. style? Better make those bad-boys with Hatch chiles and not some lame a$$ Anaheim peppers!

Of course stacked is better than rolled and no one around here uses Anaheim chile peppers. Rolled enchiladas are served only in restaurants when you get a combination plate. I also like an over easy egg on top for the red enchiladas but since it was a picnic, needed to keep it simple.

Is someone bringing regular old-fashioned fried chicken (not the hot spicy stuff)? Because I really would travel for that!

Is someone bringing regular old-fashioned fried chicken (not the hot spicy stuff)? Because I really would travel for that!
In post 33 I asked for KC's, Go Chicken Go gizzards, they have regular chicken too. I've eaten there for 35 years and never tried the chicken parts, only organ meat! It's not like anywhere else. :cool:

I want to make sure there's enough Genny Cream Ale too. That's been a rare treat since I left PA/NY. I seem to recall a case shipment, counter to counter on an airline from Scranton to KC. It wasn't legal but my manager used it as a bribe to get our team in for a Sunday design session..

Well, count on the Canadians to bring dessert:

Beavertails
Butter tarts (w/raisins)
Nanaimo bars

and to sip, Niagara Ice Wine.

southwestern PA (Pittsburgh area)

kielbasa, haluski, pierogies, and gobs for dessert. We have lots of craft beers now but how about an IC Light instead.

I'm with bestwifeever, really good fried chicken not that greasy KFC stuff.

Forgot to bring dessert, OWOWCOW, best ice cream ever, Ice Cream Shop Bucks County | Best Organic Ice Cream NJ One of their stores is about a 1/2 hour from my house. My favs are Garden Berry and Honey Lavender. Glad it's not closer!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom