broken (?) laptop key

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
I purchased a used laptop on eBay.
The Enter key is broken. Not disclosed by the seller.
Otherwise the laptop seems okay.
It is not a driver issue because it happens when I go into BIOS and need to hit the Enter key to save all the settings.

I pried off the key with my fingers.
It appeared to be okay but then I don't know what an okay key is suppose to look like.
What should I be looking for?

The page where you get a free shipping label to return the laptop to the seller.

Made me laugh.... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

But true.
Probably only way to fix is replacing the keyboard.

Alternatively, if a person was using it just as a stationary computer, one could plug in a regular keyboard and use that. Although not sure that will work in the bios.

Made me laugh.... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

But true.
Probably only way to fix is replacing the keyboard.

Alternatively, if a person was using it just as a stationary computer, one could plug in a regular keyboard and use that. Although not sure that will work in the bios.

I will give the seller a choice : partial refund so I can buy a new keyboard or return for complete refund.

Last edited:
When you removed the key there should be a small plastic raised knob that the key presses down on. Have you tried pressing down on the knob with your finger with the key removed? If that doesn't work then the keypad is probably shot. Sometimes dirt, dust, etc. gets down inside so the key cannot make proper contact with the knob.

Some keyboards are very easy and inexpensive to replace. Others, not so much. I find the off-lease professional laptops are made to be repaired. I have done this before for around $25 for the new keyboard. On the other hand some of the home-versions are more difficult and expensive. The last one I had with a key I couldn't "fix" was >$170 for a new keyboard as it was part of the top cover. To replace the keyboard, I would have needed to replace the whole assembly, the computer pieces had to be transferred over to the new cover. I decided the computer wasn't worth the repair.

Take a look on youtube for replacing the keyboard on your model to see what it entails. Depending on the computer, it may be less of a hassle to just replace the keyboard if you are handy.

When you removed the key there should be a small plastic raised knob that the key presses down on. Have you tried pressing down on the knob with your finger with the key removed? If that doesn't work then the keypad is probably shot. Sometimes dirt, dust, etc. gets down inside so the key cannot make proper contact with the knob.

That rubber knob is still there but pressing down on it does nothing.
Nothing seems broken based on photos from a website that does sell a key for this model laptop.

I initiated a return for full refund yesterday evening.
This a brand new seller on eBay.
He may not realize that he cannot ignore the request.
Ebay will step in on Feb 4 if I do not hear from the seller.
The fan also starts up really loud when the laptop is first turned on, so at this point, I am inclined to want a full refund.

Some keyboards are very easy and inexpensive to replace. Others, not so much. I find the off-lease professional laptops are made to be repaired. I have done this before for around $25 for the new keyboard. On the other hand some of the home-versions are more difficult and expensive. The last one I had with a key I couldn't "fix" was >$170 for a new keyboard as it was part of the top cover. To replace the keyboard, I would have needed to replace the whole assembly, the computer pieces had to be transferred over to the new cover. I decided the computer wasn't worth the repair.

Take a look on youtube for replacing the keyboard on your model to see what it entails. Depending on the computer, it may be less of a hassle to just replace the keyboard if you are handy.

For this model, it requires removal of the battery and removal of three screws.

There are a few options.
1. remap your keyboard so another key does the 'ENTER' function when pressed.
2. set up a bluetooth keyboard if your laptop has bluetooth feature.
3. set up an on-screen key board where the mouse clicks on the keys on the display equivalent of the ENTER key.

Someone doing heavy gaming on that keyboard. Bam Bam Enter key.
The contact which you can't see is broken.
Good idea to send it back.

Back
Top Bottom