Replacing a smart key - 2015 Hyundai Sonata

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Both smart keys for my 8-year-old Hyundai, with pushbutton-start ignition, have died. I'd been replacing the batteries more frequently of late, and finally, replacing the battery didn't work. It is still possible to open the car doors with the key (I only have one left - the other fell out of the fob and was lost), and for now, I can even start the car by pressing the fob into the pushbutton. But limping along like this is nervewracking. it's time to replace the smart key.

Both local Hyundai dealerships want $501.00 (with tax) (cash or check ONLY, must pick up at the store) for the key fob, and $175.00 to program it.

I found an identical smart key fob at Autozone, with a 20% off promotion, for $335.54 including tax (credit card accepted). However, it must be programmed at a dealership. Both dealerships say they cannot guarantee the programming would work (one said 50-50 chance it won't). I would still have to pay for the programming regardless.

What do you all say? Do I have to eat almost $700.00?

Call PopALock, they might be able to program a key.

It might be too late for you now, but for others, it is important to get the new fob while you have one working fob.

For most systems, reprogramming can be fairly simple, and done by the owner, if you have another working fob. Without that, I think you may need to go to the dealer. Do a search on this for your particular model.

-ERD50

A quick Google on this says that new Hyundai fobs need to be programmed at the dealer. However, used fobs can be easily reprogrammed by the owner. Used fobs are available in eBay.

Another alternative is to contact a local locksmith to see if they sell on a new FOB and he the programming capability

For the price difference, I might try the DIY method. It might work.

FWIW, although it doesn't help you, my 2012 fobs were working fine after 10 years when traded in. I bought a 2022 Hyundai to replace it.

Not sure on Hyundai, but for most vehicles, you can program the vehicle to match the new key *IF* you have two working keys. If you only have one (or none) key, then it requires a dealer or locksmith to connect into the vehicle's computer to program the vehicle to the key.

I'm not clear if you have a working second key or not? I think you said it is lost and so you only have one working key. Try a real locksmith that does vehicle programming, they should be able to do it for less cost than the dealer. The actual key cutting to be able to open the door is the easy part, it's matching or syncing the new key with the vehicle's computer that is the high cost part of the process.

A quick Google on this says that new Hyundai fobs need to be programmed at the dealer. However, used fobs can be easily reprogrammed by the owner. Used fobs are available in eBay.

Another alternative is to contact a local locksmith to see if they sell on a new FOB and he the programming capability

For the price difference, I might try the DIY method. It might work.

FWIW, although it doesn't help you, my 2012 fobs were working fine after 10 years when traded in. I bought a 2022 Hyundai to replace it.

Got a link for that? My quick search indicated that an expensive scanner was needed for a 2015 Hyundai Sonata.

https://www.programyourremote.com/c...ey-programming-instructions-listing-7589.aspx

How to Program a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Keyless Entry Remote Fob Smart Key

Step by Step How to Programming Instructions:

This vehicle is not on board programmable and requires a qualified professional to program smart key remote fobs.

I think OP will need to find a locksmith with an expensive scanner ($2-$3K, not DIY).

I'd call the locksmith and ask for reccs on buying a fob online, they may know the best ones.

-ERD50

In our area there is a locksmith who handles these things, and supposedly is much more affordable than ripoff dealers.

I am glad I have a key. Wife has a fob, and I really do not see the attraction. But that is the way this world has gone.

Our son had this problem with his Mazda , and we were able to have a local locksmith program a fob for him. They needed some specifics on the car that our son was able to get for them. About half the price quoted from the local Mazda dealer.

Maybe a cheap fix.

When my Ram 1500 key fob quit working, I found that the contacts inside the case were misaligned. The YouTube video below showed a cheap way to repair.

https://youtu.be/mDV75c-BGSk?feature=shared

Call PopALock, they might be able to program a key.

PopALock made my Explorer fob. I think it was around $275 or so. Of course, two weeks later we found the lost fob so now we have three.

Got a link for that? My quick search indicated that an expensive scanner was needed for a 2015 Hyundai Sonata.

https://www.programyourremote.com/c...ey-programming-instructions-listing-7589.aspx

I think OP will need to find a locksmith with an expensive scanner ($2-$3K, not DIY).

I'd call the locksmith and ask for reccs on buying a fob online, they may know the best ones.

-ERD50

Perhaps I was too hasty on that. Further digging seems to be focused on re-programming a FOB that you previously used successfully. Here is the first link I found where they say to use if you FOB doesn't work after replacing a dead battery.

https://www.vandergriffhyundai.com/...rogram-your-hyundai-keyless-remote-system.htm
How To Program Your Hyundai Keyless Remote System
The first step to take in reprogramming your Hyundai keyless remote system is entering the vehicle and closing all the doors. Second, use your key to switch on the "ACC" accessory function on the Hyundai's ignition system. Third, you will notice a button on the key fob that says either "unlock" or "open." Hold this button down on the key fob for several seconds. When the programming is complete, a light will start flashing on your car to let you know that the programming was a success.

It might be worth a try to get your current FOB to work without having to press it on the "start" button. It likely will not affect the short battery life. But it might.

I am gobsmacked at these prices for fobs. I would have thought they were $29 or so.

Cool! Are you able to use all 3? The dealership says my model of car will only accept 2 fobs at a time - if two new ones are programmed, and a lost one turns up later, it will not work.

PopALock made my Explorer fob. I think it was around $275 or so. Of course, two weeks later we found the lost fob so now we have three.

Some of the links above don't include remote start. Just FYI.

The dealership says my model of car will only accept 2 fobs at a time - if two new ones are programmed, and a lost one turns up later, it will not work.

Glad you mentioned this. I just tested them and all three work for the Explorer.

Just had an automotive locksmith come to the house and use a scanner to program two brand-new key fobs for half what the dealer wants. Which tells me that it probably should cost 1/4 of the dealership cost, if not less, but then again, I don't have a scanner.

The whole thing took about 1/2 hour.

Both local Hyundai dealerships want $501.00 (with tax) (cash or check ONLY, must pick up at the store) for the key fob, and $175.00 to program it.

(Bolding mine.)

What a red flag that is! So no recourse if it doesn't work short of suing in small claims court.

Glad to hear you got new ones with out involving those thieves.

Just had an automotive locksmith come to the house and use a scanner to program two brand-new key fobs for half what the dealer wants. Which tells me that it probably should cost 1/4 of the dealership cost, if not less, but then again, I don't have a scanner.

The whole thing took about 1/2 hour.

Good deal. You might have found something cheaper but it would have been slower and more hassle, and worry since you were down to your last key. This thread is a reminder to all though to check on when buying a new car, as it sounds like yours were on the far end of inconvenient and pricey - which one might not expect for a Hyundai.

FYI for anyone else who runs into this - Ace Hardware does it as well.

Just received this in the mail today...

Attachments

• ace.jpg
    ace.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 11
I wonder if this ad is for smart keys for pushbutton-start cars (the more expensive type of key), or just for the kind of fob that opens/closes the car, but doesn't have anything to do with ignition?

What triggered my question is that the ad says to keep one key in the car. That's a bad idea with my type of smart key, because the chip in the key is constantly communicating with the car, which runs down the key's battery (the locksmith told me this, but I'd already learned about it from somewhere else). And changing the battery in these key fobs is a nuisance, which eventually destroys the key (for their high price, they aren't made all that well).

FYI for anyone else who runs into this - Ace Hardware does it as well.

Just received this in the mail today...

I wonder if this ad is for smart keys for pushbutton-start cars (the more expensive type of key), or just for the kind of fob that opens/closes the car, but doesn't have anything to do with ignition?

What triggered my question is that the ad says to keep one key in the car. That's a bad idea with my type of smart key, because the chip in the key is constantly communicating with the car, which runs down the key's battery (the locksmith told me this, but I'd already learned about it from somewhere else). And changing the battery in these key fobs is a nuisance, which eventually destroys the key (for their high price, they aren't made all that well).

If I were selling $500 key fobs that use $1 in parts, I would make them fail after a few years also.

Back
Top Bottom