Broker For Medicare?

We purchased AARP/UHC direct without the use of an agent. I wouldn't go through an insurance agency based on the possibly needing an agency's assistance to resolve billing errors. Of course, YMMV.

I guess paying the same price and potentially getting an agent's help seemed like a good idea to me

One thing that surprises many on Advantage plans is that many, if not all, of those plans require that you receive care in your home state. For snowbirds, that's a problem. I believe that most, if not all, of the Medicare supplements allow you to receive care anywhere.

Standard supplements like plan G have no discretion and cover their portion of the bill regardless of the state. This is one of the potential advantages. Some MA plans are better than others in this regard.

Thanks to all who replied. As an update to this thread, I contacted my state's SHIP office and spoke with a counselor this morning. I was VERY pleasantly surprised with the individual's knowledge and manner.

For the most part he confirmed my research here and elsewhere, but it was comforting hearing it from someone else. He emphasized buying as much supplemental insurance that I could afford now due to Guaranteed Issue (now) and Medical Underwriting (later). He supported that with a funny saying about Medicare that I hadn't heard before: "You date your drug plan and you marry your Medigap plan".

I asked him about using a broker to complete my transaction. His thoughts were that, given what I already knew, and due to the simplicity of my situation, that a broker wouldn't add a lot of value. He added that brokers weren't completely unbiased as a result of their receiving commissions.

So...my next steps are to self-register for Medigap and drug plans.

Sounds like the OP's questions have been answered. I will share our experience for others. I consulted with Boomer Benefits. I wasn't completely comfortable taking their recommendations so I did my own research on Medicare.gov. I concluded that there recommendations were pretty good. They recommended a Part G plan that was close to the another plan I like but there were pros and cons. So, all in all, I think they give good advice.

I was disappointed with Boomer Benefits because they didn't make it clear that you can't directly compare prices of medigap plans that have different pricing models.[Attained-Age vs. Issue-Age vs. Community-Rated Medigap Plans ... for definitions, see: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Medicar ... _(Medigap) ]

Sounds like the OP's questions have been answered. I will share our experience for others. I consulted with Boomer Benefits. I wasn't completely comfortable taking their recommendations so I did my own research on Medicare.gov. I concluded that there recommendations were pretty good. They recommended a Part G plan that was close to the another plan I like but there were pros and cons. So, all in all, I think they give good advice.

Researching for my Medicare decision, and saw projection that Plan G premiums expected to increase faster than Plan N because of influx of older persons with pre-existing conditions taking Plan G by Guaranteed Issue after 2020.

Anyone have perspective on that?
Leaning toward hi-deductible Humana G+.
Plan G+ max annual $5,500 total hitting $2,700 deductible is only $400 > AARP-UHC Plan G annual $5,100 total.
Part B included in above totals (NYS).

Researching for my Medicare decision, and saw projection that Plan G premiums expected to increase faster than Plan N because of influx of older persons with pre-existing conditions taking Plan G by Guaranteed Issue after 2020.

Plan G+ max annual $5,500 total hitting $2,700 deductible is only $400 > AARP-UHC Plan G annual $5,100 total.

We have Plan N through AARP/UHC and are very pleased. Be careful of the high deductible plans. You may be healthy now, but I prefer to have a plan I want when I’m sick. That deductible is year after year, resetting every Jan 1. You may save a few bucks now, but will you later?

We have Plan N through AARP/UHC and are very pleased. Be careful of the high deductible plans. You may be healthy now, but I prefer to have a plan I want when I’m sick. That deductible is year after year, resetting every Jan 1. You may save a few bucks now, but will you later?

Yes, based on my research thus far I do expect Plan G+ to provide ongoing savings -as noted:
Max for Plan G+ ($2,700 deductible) is only $400 more than Plan G.
Time will tell if Plan G premium does rise faster than G+.

Plan N offers less coverage than Plan G.
I'm in NYS, which has community rated plans and allows swapping plans annually with no underwriting.

My 65th birthday is this month. Waiting until full retirement age for SS.

Called Boomer Benefits on October 3rd and got things rolling.
All done by December with easy pay for Part B,medigap part G,and part D scheduled and ready to go this month.

I really wonder if there is a very large group involved in this ”influx”.

We took Plan G and won’t worry about it because we wanted Plan G. We went to with UHC/AARP Plan G. For DH at 67 the premiums are currently $132 per month so I have no idea where your $5100 number came from. Different state I suppose?

I really wonder if there is a very large group involved in this ”influx”.

We took Plan G and won’t worry about it because we wanted Plan G. We went to with UHC/AARP Plan G. For DH at 67 the premiums are currently $132 per month so I have no idea where your $5100 number came from. Different state I suppose?
Yes -noted "NYS" at end of post, and you are apparently in TX.
NYS premiums are higher b/c of community pricing and the flexibility to change plans on short notice without underwriting.
My AARP-UHC Plan G premium would be $260/mo:
Plan G $3,120/yr + Part B $1,979 =$5,100.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom