Burglars jamming wireless systems

My 25YO Ford Ranger is parked outside. I would think that tells them to hit a neighbor with a more expensive car advertising for them. Security is about 1) make it harder to hit you than the computer/house/car Nextdoor and 2) make it cost more to beat your protection than what they can steal.

But do you live in a "high-end" home? That may be enough to generate interest. The thieves don't know what you have in the house until they get in.

I don't have enough cash/jewelry for any sophisticated thieves to be interested.

-ERD50

for our new house, I specified that the fiber entered underground. So it is about a foot down coming through a tube that pierces the concrete basement foundation. From the outside there's no way to know where that entry is being made much less of being able to cut it.

A number of years ago I did have a business burglary where the bad guys cut the telephone line. After that one I brought the phone line in underground but left wires exposed and sure enough another attempted burglary they cut the decoy wires but they didn't find the actual telephone cable.

I love it.

Thanks for sharing some of your strategy and tactics on this.

-gauss

But do you live in a "high-end" home? That may be enough to generate interest. The thieves don't know what you have in the house until they get in.

Nope, right at the median for the area. But you never know.

DD/SIL home was just hit, broke in through a basement window, cameras caught the guy going in/out in just 3 minutes total, didn't seem to get anything, but got into the bedroom and went through some drawers. Missed an expensive watch and cash from their wedding. Might have been scared off by something?

Makes me consider a DIY alarm system. Sirens, bright lights, a LOUD recording "POLICE HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED", "TEAR GAS CANISTER TO BE ACTIVATED IN 10-9-8-..."

-ERD50

Basement windows in the past were the favorite method of B&E's around 50% . Many of them were committed by neighborhood kids.

I put Interior (openable) Bars on my windows of every house I've lived in on the basement windows, it's just too easy to break in that way.
I don't like the look of exterior bars on windows

Last edited:
I don't have enough cash/jewelry for any sophisticated thieves to be interested.

-ERD50
Out of the approximate 30 houses just on my block mine is the only original modest house (1465 sq ft) left that was built in the 50s. All the rest are new house built within the past 5-15 years and are McMansions with a few more than 6000 sq ft. We don't have anything worth stealing except our cars and if we aren't home then we are in them. The only things of value to us are a few inexpensive sentimental items from parents and grandparents and our 2 cats. There are much better pickings at all the other houses.

Cheers!

Many well protected houses actually have jammer detection devices and use them as an early warning for an imminent threat.
Battle of the tech! We all need to search for jammer detectors, and only a few need to be sold.

Analogous to the lo-jack story. Before that car location system was sold, a certain class of vehicles had a super high rate of theft. Then a small percentage of owners had lo-jack installed, and the rate of theft dropped dramatically. The whole class of owners got the benefits.

These look cool, but what can you hook them to?

In my house, there's literally nothing to attach to, that a thief couldn't move or unscrew to remove the bag. I'm sure the thief could manage to tear open the bag later on..

Well, maybe the refrigerator door handle would pose a significant obstacle (It's a SubZero), but that would also be slightly impossible to hide.

I always travel with the 3L size pacsafe bags, never use the in room safe

https://pacsafe.com/collections/acc...ts/travelsafe-3l-gii-anti-theft-portable-safe

Last edited:
These look cool, but what can you hook them to?

In my house, there's literally nothing to attach to, that a thief couldn't move or unscrew to remove the bag. I'm sure the thief could manage to tear open the bag later on..

Well, maybe the refrigerator door handle would pose a significant obstacle (It's a SubZero), but that would also be slightly impossible to hide.

They seem meant for travel, so there's the added challenge of finding a place in a hotel room. Maybe a pipe under a sink, if it is exposed? I suppose a drawer handle would be a deterrent since they've have to smash the drawer or lug around something obviously not right to have. A closet rod might be screwed in the wall tight enough to be a challenge.

Maybe you use it as a decoy, with nothing of value in it, and your valuables hidden elsewhere, but you're still out the $100 for the bag itself. Make a cheap decoy bag, maybe.

I don't leave much of value in a hotel room. What I worry most about is my laptop, which is too big for that bag and not so easy to hide.

For my house, I just try to have it more secure than average with Ring cameras, lighting, etc. Many houses on my street and community are 2nd homes, often vacant, so they are easier targets. And in general thieves don't find too much of value in 2nd homes, so we rarely get break-ins.

Scary. I guess I'll have to move that $4 million of cash that I have in the house and put it in the bank tomorrow.

It wasn't Bob Menendez by any chance? Just wondering. 😂

They seem meant for travel, so there's the added challenge of finding a place in a hotel room. Maybe a pipe under a sink, if it is exposed? I suppose a drawer handle would be a deterrent since they've have to smash the drawer or lug around something obviously not right to have. A closet rod might be screwed in the wall tight enough to be a challenge.

Maybe you use it as a decoy, with nothing of value in it, and your valuables hidden elsewhere, but you're still out the $100 for the bag itself. Make a cheap decoy bag, maybe.

I don't leave much of value in a hotel room. What I worry most about is my laptop, which is too big for that bag and not so easy to hide.

For my house, I just try to have it more secure than average with Ring cameras, lighting, etc. Many houses on my street and community are 2nd homes, often vacant, so they are easier targets. And in general thieves don't find too much of value in 2nd homes, so we rarely get break-ins.

They do make a bag big enough for a laptop. If I can't find anything to hook to in the room, i run the cable though the handles of our carry-ons and a backpack. Nothing will stop a determined thief, but this will work against the causal one. We keep our passports and backup credit cards in it when we are out.

5 years ago I bought the cheapest Black Friday laptop I could find ($200). I take that when we travel, I don't do banking on it and it has no financial or personal information, it's really just used for internet/email, etc. If it gets stolen it's no big deal.

5 years ago I bought the cheapest Black Friday laptop I could find ($200). I take that when we travel, I don't do banking on it and it has no financial or personal information, it's really just used for internet/email, etc. If it gets stolen it's no big deal.
Exactly. I carry a cheap tablet like a Nexus or a Samsung. Absolutely no financial information and has never been used to access the financial institutions I use. It's always been a mystery to me why most people seem to require access to financial information while traveling. We didn't have access before portable computers and the internet came along and we all AFIK got along fine.

We don't have much worth stealing in our house, no valuables other than a nice acoustic guitar, no jewelry. We do have a high end fire table but it weighs almost 200 pounds :LOL:

Any burglar that breaks in will be disappointed that they didn't choose better.

We have hardened / reinforced Doors and Zombie Bars on all windows.

It will take Villians having some tools and some time and effort with a lot of racket to gain entry.

Plenty of time for ms gamboolgal and I to prepare to hold a proper prayer meeting with the Pilgrims.

iSmz8xXm.png
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom