Burns and FireCalc

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Scott Burns recommended/suggested that R.R. of Nashville experiment with firecalc.com. How many new posters will this bring in?

Q. Withdrawal of 4 percent plus the inflation rate of your retirement portfolio is considered a reasonable amount upon retirement. Say inflation is 2 percent. Does this mean that you can withdraw 4 percent plus 2 percent, or 6 percent, of the total portfolio for that year?— R.R., Nashville, TN

A. That isn’t how it works. The safe withdrawal rate is grounded in the amount of income you withdraw on your first year of retirement. That amount is then increased each year for the increase in consumer prices.

You can improve the odds that your portfolio will survive with a few simple changes. The easiest is to avoid increasing your withdrawal in any year that the value of your account has declined. You’ll find a lot more information on this subject in the column archive on my website. Look in the category “portfolio survival.” You can experiment with different distribution amounts by visiting the website, www.firecalc.com.

How to Calculate Your Annual Withdrawal Income in Retirement - Registered Investment Advisor

Based on the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this thread, it looks like Scott Burns has also referred to Firecalc in 2007, 2008 and 2009.
Still, the plug and added awareness is good.

Scott Burns recommended/suggested that R.R. of Nashville experiment with firecalc.com. How many new posters will this bring in?
Dory used to see that traffic bump years ago, but I'm not sure it'd even be noticeable today.

Back
Top Bottom