Buy CDs in an IRA - what are the mechanics and gotchas?

I did one a few months ago. Transferring IRA money from Etrade to a credit union. I filled out a form online at the credit union website to open an IRA. Then a form to transfer from Etrade at the credit union website. Then the credit union took care of it. I don't think I contacted Etrade at all.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

In that case were you transferring the entire amount in the IRA or just a portion?

Thanks!

All of our IRA's (Traditional and then additional ROTH later) were initiated at PENFED (first CD was purchased about 1976). Each year we added the contributions to new CD's. In 2006 PENFED let us consolidate all of the CD's into a single CD for each type and we wound up with 2 Traditional IRA's and 2 ROTH IRA's. At that point we did not have any earned income so when we reached RMD ages it was very simple to calculate the annual RMD amounts (single CD each) - PFCU even paid the RMD's any way we wanted (Annually (start or end of year), Quarterly or Monthly}. When my DW passed her Traditional and ROTH was simply moved to my account and the RMD on the traditional amounts calculated by them and is now paid monthly. Very simple process, convenient for me and efficient on PFCU's part. I am sure all financial instructions that allow IRA with CD's could be the same.

So, all of our IRA's have been in CD's with one bank... for as long as I can remember, maybe 35 years or when IRA's were first offered. That bank, which was Met Life at the time, became GE, and now (ugh) Synchrony or Optimizer which becomes confusing.
Historically the bank has paid the highest interest and has always been, # 1, 2 or 3.

Rollovers have been automatic, with a choice of one to five years. We keep a small savings account with the same bank, and if and when we decide to take money out, its a usually just a single page form to fill out and usually takes about 6 or 7 days to process. This time the withdrawal was a disaster. A long delay in processing, and then an error in my form, which they didn't inform me of ... then another form to make the transfe... nor fax or email or phone mail only. ... Five weeks to withdraw my money. Look at "Synchrony Bank Reviews on Yelp or Consumeraffairs or any rating website. Hmmm... what does a cumulative "one star" rating mean?

Anyway... decided to transfer my CD IRA's to another bank... pages of forms and explanations... Since I only had a month to rollover to another bank, and knowing what I know about money float and deliberate time delay... I just let the CD's roll over where they were. My anger with Synchrony turned into a long letter to the FDIC, which resulted in a three page letter of reply from the Synchrony risk management group. Twists and turns and lies.... I gave up... they're bigger than me. It was my "gotcha".

BTW... checking Bankrate, Synchrony is still on top of the national CD rates.

Until Synchrony, no problem... always nice people, and no one hour phone waits.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add that it is my belief that these "trustee-to-trustee tansfers" can typically be initiated by either the current or new institution. I won't say one way is better than another, but it is easier for me to initiate the transfer at Fido. They even have a list of my credit unions on file and they mail the check to me payable to: My Credit Union, IRA Trustee FBO My Name. This way gives me more assurance that the correct funds are liquidated (e.g. income or bond fund vs. stock funds). I can verify with Fidelity that my 1099 will be coded "no penalty". If time is short, I can pay to have the check sent overnight. I have seen a number of the forms used by various credit unions and they are confusing ( even for the credit union employees). I believe the terms "rollover" and "transfer" are used interchangeably which can lead to confusion. Whenever I have walked into the credit union with a transfer check made out this way, the credit union rep is surprised and relieved that hardly any additional paperwork is required. I do have the luxury of being in driving distance of Penfed, Navy Federal and two other local credit unions that have great CD deals from time to time.

In 2006 PENFED let us consolidate all of the CD's into a single CD for each type and we wound up with 2 Traditional IRA's and 2 ROTH IRA's.

That's good to know....I was thinking about asking PenFed if I could consolidate. I have at least 5 individual CDs with the same maturity date. Way back when I was worried about needing to break a CD and I thought splitting the deposit up would make it easier to use in case of an emergency. I remember how hard it was to sign up for a 10 yr term in 2011 but locking up 5% feels pretty good right now!

So, all of our IRA's have been in CD's with one bank... for as long as I can remember, maybe 35 years or when IRA's were first offered. That bank, which was Met Life at the time, became GE, and now (ugh) Synchrony or Optimizer which becomes confusing.
Historically the bank has paid the highest interest and has always been, # 1, 2 or 3.
That's scary. With the acquisitions and name changes, I got confused between GE Capital Bank and GE Capital Retail Bank....they are not the same. I accidentally opened my account with GE Cap Retail Bank which does not offer IRAs but the rates are good and I have made exactly one transfer from this account so far and it went smoothly. GE Capital became Synchrony and GE Capital Retail was just bought by Goldman Sachs and I have zero faith that GS will embrace small consumer accounts like mine so I am already in the process of looking for an alternative (Ally?).

Thanks for all the detailed replies folks. It really helped!!!

I haven't delved into the universe of brokered CDs myself yet, as I only own them in regular accounts, and I have simply transferred the funds to whichever bank was offering the CD.

Rollovers have been automatic, with a choice of one to five years. We keep a small savings account with the same bank, and if and when we decide to take money out, its a usually just a single page form to fill out and usually takes about 6 or 7 days to process. This time the withdrawal was a disaster. A long delay in processing, and then an error in my form, which they didn't inform me of ... then another form to make the transfe... nor fax or email or phone mail only. ... Five weeks to withdraw my money. Look at "Synchrony Bank Reviews on Yelp or Consumeraffairs or any rating website. Hmmm... what does a cumulative "one star" rating mean?

Anyway... decided to transfer my CD IRA's to another bank... pages of forms and explanations... Since I only had a month to rollover to another bank, and knowing what I know about money float and deliberate time delay... I just let the CD's roll over where they were. My anger with Synchrony turned into a long letter to the FDIC, which resulted in a three page letter of reply from the Synchrony risk management group. Twists and turns and lies.... I gave up... they're bigger than me. It was my "gotcha".

BTW... checking Bankrate, Synchrony is still on top of the national CD rates.

Until Synchrony, no problem... always nice people, and no one hour phone waits.

I feel your pain Older.... I made one rollover transfer and what a breeze...Went to well one more time in same 12 month period and was told I needed to do a trustee transfer. Got the paperwork sent to me and my eyes glazed over... I went to the bank that had my CD and said "Lets renew it for 12 months". So I am raking in a .35% rate for one year just so I can avoid the paperwork. When it matures again all I have to do is have the bank type VFTC on the check with my name on it and send it to Vanguard. No paperwork needed....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's scary. With the acquisitions and name changes, I got confused between GE Capital Bank and GE Capital Retail Bank....they are not the same. I accidentally opened my account with GE Cap Retail Bank which does not offer IRAs but the rates are good and I have made exactly one transfer from this account so far and it went smoothly. GE Capital became Synchrony and GE Capital Retail was just bought by Goldman Sachs and I have zero faith that GS will embrace small consumer accounts like mine so I am already in the process of looking for an alternative (Ally?).

I'm a bit confused bc the Retail Bank became Synchrony and does offer IRAs.

.............................. Look at "Synchrony Bank Reviews on Yelp or Consumeraffairs or any rating website. Hmmm... what does a cumulative "one star" rating mean?

99+% of those reviews are for the credit card division which, I assume ,
is separate from the banking part.

Back
Top Bottom