Buying your way into a prestigious university...

The silver lining is that maybe now the "Higher Education Admissions System" will be forced to become transparent.

One can hope but I worry that this will only send many such back-door, quiet admissions further underground. Sadly, I don't see any change ahead.

The silver lining is that maybe now the "Higher Education Admissions System" will be forced to become transparent.

I feel badly for the tens of thousands of Asians who have been systematically discriminated against for decades for the sin of being "too smart".
+1

My best friend went to Wharton to get his MBA in Finance. He always joked how the undergraduate students paid huge tuition fees to be in the Ivy League, however they never had a single class taught by the famous faculty members. They may well have been in a good state university for far less money--and transferred to Wharton for grad school.

Agreed.

And when you see Wharton/Harvard/Yale/Stanford on the resume, coupled to a "you should interview this guy" call from the Chairman of the Board, it's [-]easy[/-] a good career move to stop asking too many hard questions and just hire away.

Call me jaded, but I thought you could get into any private university if you donated enough money. So why bother trying to up SAT scores? Or trying to fake athletic abilities to get into public schools?

Call me jaded, but I thought you could get into any private university if you donated enough money. So why bother trying to up SAT scores? Or trying to fake athletic abilities to get into public schools?

Bold by me. The concept of spending $500,000 to get 2 kids into into USC just blows my mind. If you are going to spend that kind of money, at least shoot for the ivy league.

But, on a serious note, I find this whole thing disgusting. Parents, kids, everyone.

Side note. I had cousin that went to UCLA Law School (years ago, maybe 1965 or so). Even though he was living in CA at the time (while still in the Navy), he got the good advice to use his parents home in MA as his address, because they were trying to get more folks from outside CA. It worked. He is retired in CO today, I suspect with a pile of money.

I guess my question in all of this is what's the point? If your kid doesn't have the ability to get into a top ranked university then they'll just crash and burn when the serious work starts. I went to "name" schools and watched lots of kids flame out when they didn't have either the brains or discipline required.

Sneaking a kid into a school where they don't belong isn't doing anyone favors.

Right. It’s really stupid.

You also want to hide having much Asian DNA if you want an equal shot at getting into elite schools.
[mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
The very worst thing that these parents did was to tell their children, in effect, "you're not good enough on your own."

I think people and their kids of this ilk are way beyond that. IMO it's all about 'how it looks' and the status of what school you go to etc.

The kids might be the worst offenders, demanding/expecting to be sent to X school regardless of their credentials. Lori whatshername's kid was bragging online how she had no intention of going to classes and just wanted to party.

Yeah, I guess these parents better give up on the idea that their kids will ever be independent and out on their own. Because they are being taught otherwise.

Although, I guess they still have to take classes and make grades.....

Oh - just go to party? Well - I'm not so sure you are going to graduate with a degree.

Bold by me. The concept of spending $500,000 to get 2 kids into into USC just blows my mind. If you are going to spend that kind of money, at least shoot for the ivy league.

But, on a serious note, I find this whole thing disgusting. Parents, kids, everyone.

Agree to a point but USC has come really far academically in the last 25 years. I know people that have gotten in to Cal and Stanford and not USC. Plus, if you plan to work in Southern California I would say there is nowhere better to go than USC. I realize you can never go wrong with an ivy league school and all other things being equal one should do that but I am just saying USC is in the top 20 in most ratings I have seen lately. Of course that might change now. Lol.

This scandal didn't surprise me at all. I'll bet there are plenty of university executives sweating tonight at every college in the US wondering if their school is next.

I'm going to try to watch a great old movie "Back to School" with Rodney Dangerfield and see how he did it back about 30 years ago.

This scandal didn't surprise me at all. I'll bet there are plenty of university executives sweating tonight at every college in the US wondering if their school is next.

My University is a Land Grant School. We'll take everyone! Send us your poor, your entitled masses...

:D

We touched on some of this in a thread about 5 years ago, which was started with a story about someone writing their daughter's application essay. http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/ivy-league-school-admissions-74965.html

I feel the same now as I did then. The very worst thing that these parents did was to tell their children, in effect, "you're not good enough on your own."

Doesn't matter if they're good enough. Some might even actually be good enough. But they know everyone else (of their ilk) is cheating so being good enough isn't good enough. They just need the ticket punched. You can be smart and get an education anywhere

W
I feel the same now as I did then. The very worst thing that these parents did was to tell their children, in effect, "you're not good enough on your own."

This - either the children feel even more entitled or deep down they realize they are a fraud and/or have benefited from fraud.

One other aspect - depending on your degree type, this cheapens the value of that degree for those who have them. Many times saying you graduated from one of these schools might increase your estimation in someone's eyes based on a perceived reputation of the difficulty of being accepted.

I give a brief story - I went to a state school and majored in engineering. I have a fellow HS graduate who went to MIT. I visited him last fall and we walked around MIT. I asked him the attrition rate of an MIT student - 10%. The attrition rate at my school from the engineering program was probably 75%+. Of course one could argue he was exposed to and possibly received many more opportunities that I in our respective educations and careers, however, interestingly, that was not the case and when I did interact with many of his alums, I was on par or exceeded many of them in my educational and experiential endeavors.

The point is - we all worked hard, however, in the long run, depending on your degree, what you accomplish and where you go many times depends on your desires and endeavors and not necessarily what name is on a piece of paper on your wall or in your files.

For those parents and students, the long-term effects of those decisions will linger not only for them but will reflect on others who will suffer from collateral damage.

I don't hold too much respect anymore from where someone graduates - too many variables determine that. I would look at their grades, references, experiences and watch their behavior. Integrity and honor mean more in the long run.

I guess my question in all of this is what's the point? If your kid doesn't have the ability to get into a top ranked university then they'll just crash and burn when the serious work starts. I went to "name" schools and watched lots of kids flame out when they didn't have either the brains or discipline required.

You seem to be suggesting that applicants with enough ability to succeed there will always get accepted to their chosen school.

That's simply not the case.

Maybe it's different now, but my aforementioned 'dum-dum' classmates who's daddy bought their way into Ivy League schools in the early 70's somehow, someway (somepay?) managed to get a sheepskin after 4 years.

From what we could see, they were able to take easy classes and spend the rest of their time drinking, joining private clubs and touring Europe. There was literally no way they had the ability to get through even a mildly difficult curriculum...they could barely manage high school.

Yet, here they are today: "A proud alumni of X University!"

Last edited:
marko

<b>”when you see Wharton/Harvard/Yale/Stanford on the resume, coupled to a "you should interview this guy" call from the Chairman of the Board, it's [-]easy[/-] a good career move to stop asking too many hard questions and just hire away.”</b>

A recent harvard law graduate said in their first orientation the schools president said “dont worry about that paper chase stuff- you’ve made it”. What he was referring to was Social Capital. Harvard on the resume means $50,000 more. Instant money.

“This year’s graduating class of Harvard MBAs pulled down a record $160,268 in total first-year compensation. That starting sum, adjusted for the percentage of MBA graduates reporting sign-on bonuses and other guaranteed first-year compensation, represents a 3.6% improvement on the year-earlier total of $154,750.” For the law school starting salaries averaged $143,000.

A recent harvard law graduate said in their first orientation the schools president said “dont worry about that paper chase stuff- you’ve made it”.

That's what I was trying to say in my most recent post.

Once you're in (hey, you've always been 'in'), you're in. Just don't do anything bad that'll get you on the front page of the paper and that diploma is waiting for you four years from now.

A recent harvard law graduate said in their first orientation the schools president said “dont worry about that paper chase stuff- you’ve made it”. What he was referring to was Social Capital. Harvard on the resume means $50,000 more. Instant money.

“This year’s graduating class of Harvard MBAs pulled down a record $160,268 in total first-year compensation. That starting sum, adjusted for the percentage of MBA graduates reporting sign-on bonuses and other guaranteed first-year compensation, represents a 3.6% improvement on the year-earlier total of $154,750.” For the law school starting salaries averaged $143,000.
This is the usual spiel from most elite / top tier universities, it’s the message to parents telling them why they should expect little or no financial assistance and pay so much money for their children’s education, it’s more than worth it.

The people in the OP and topic are not there for the boost in income, they’re there because they’re buying prestige and credentials instead of earning them like the rest of us, and we see that as crossing the line of “fairness”.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom