Cabin fever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our landscaping project is up to 45 grand, you should be able to do a nice pool for that!

I like my home, it's home sweet home, in a good location with lots of good stuff close by. Never a better time to make the home life rock!

You'd be surprised... for 11x30 (my backyard can't take wider with easement restrictions, etc.) and an nice travertine deck all around, tiny waterfall and bench, I'm cracking 50k. That's a couple steps above basic and a salt system, from a BBB accredited no issues provider. And no screen! I could probably get it for $45k with others that have lesser reviews, but I prefer the outfit that has less subs and more years in business...I'm sold, gotta keep working on DH who would use it maybe 3x per year

We have some coastal and wine country RV trips coming up, and are currently in Mammoth Lakes, CA for a week of hiking and bicycling by condo rental. It's lovely here, with much to see and do by hiking boot or bicycle, plus there is a terrific craft beer place that we stop by almost daily. All the seating is outdoors, and the tables are spread good and far apart across a large dirt lot, with Sierra mountain views thrown in at no additional cost.

I've stopped thinking about far flung travel for now, and am thankful we went so hard at it during the eight years we've been FIRE'd, so I have no regrets. We are planning to RV and road trip our western coastline up into Canada (if they'll have us!) for as long as this pandemic lasts.

I am also very thankful that we pulled the plug and moved to the coast three years ago. There is much to do there even during shelter in place, in that we were always allowed to use the beach for active pursuits.

Once the world realigns, we have Iceland and Scotland at the top of our Go There Next list.

Found a cure for my cabin fever. Sitting in the woods at 9600' in cool Colorado. Enjoying time in the motorhome with DW. Thinking of buying a lot here to spend our summers and ride the Rzr. Too hot back in Louisiana to spend the summer sitting inside the a/c.

We've gone tent/car camping and backpacking about every other week. And we have a small hiking group of friends who are isolating; we hike with them once or twice a week. We hiked to the top of Mt. Lola yesterday.

Now, we are nearing the end of 5 weeks of a relatively last minute trip to Alaska. (No crowds at all; people we talk to at national parks and surrounding businesses are estimating 5% of normal volume, so any business is appreciated! Of course, services are limited compared to normal, so need to be flexible.)

For us, the best cure for cabin fever is to travel--even though our anticipated three month international trip near the end of this year isn't going to happen....
2017ish, sounds wonderful to visit Alaska w/o the crowds. So sorry for your end of year trip. It sounded amazing and hope you get to take it soon (and we get to hear about it.)

There are some many things within a couple of hours from our home that we have not yet explored if we do feel any cabin fever.
Jollystomper,
Have you explored the entirety of Delmarva? We have been wanting to do the whole area, but my only concern is the food plant outbreaks. There’s a supposed great place for BIG blue crabs that we want to visit.

We are perpetual travelers/nomads in our 5th year & decided to stay in Portugal when the world stopped turning in March. Turned out to be a good decision for us, as we are home-free anyway. We visited Lisbon & Porto last year, but decided to check out the Algarve for 1st time this spring.... They were game as no tourists allowed in by then, so we entered into a (much reduced) lease to April 2021.
... It has been a calm & peaceful place to ride it out, and we are very grateful we decided to stay put. Making lemonade, lol.
Le sigh. This would be my dream quarantine. Lisbon, and south of it, all the way to the Algarve is one of our favorite places to visit, and we were scheduled to be there much of June. Even more sad when friends emailed “we’re opened up, are you coming now?” :'(
I suspect that much of the school year will be OL, so I am seriously considering trying to bargain an RV into our life. The only problem is DH is very serious about work (does anyone else still dress up 6 mo into telecommuting?) and would resist working from a pop-up table.

Writing from Big Sur, well, with intermittent cell coverage this takes a couple days to post, but who’s in a hurry. Tenting with DW, church friends at a distance (no singing). This is our 3rd trip to the coast. Feels safe. Don’t know how Florida kids managed to get Covid on the beach in open air, enclosed buildings with AC concern me more

Don’t know how Florida kids managed to get Covid on the beach in open air, enclosed buildings with AC concern me more

Close contact, even outdoors.
images

The families went to restaurants, the adults went to bars. Close quarters, indoors, AC. And if a thunderstorm comes along, they crowd inside.

The families went to restaurants, the adults went to bars. Close quarters, indoors, AC. And if a thunderstorm comes along, they crowd inside.
Yes, all typical tourism at the beach behavior.

I was at NC's beaches a few weeks ago for volunteering reasons (hurricane recovery).

Normally, falling off a ladder or roof would be my major concern. Here, it was getting diner. We tried just one time going to a restaurant. Very difficult to feel distanced. Even the breeze worried me as we were very clearly down wind of the crowded table 6 ft away.

And then the next night we got take out. It was raining. Everyone crowded inside, and we had to walk the gauntlet through the crowd up to the counter to get our food.

Yes, all typical tourism at the beach behavior.

I was at NC's beaches a few weeks ago for volunteering reasons (hurricane recovery).

Normally, falling off a ladder or roof would be my major concern. Here, it was getting diner. We tried just one time going to a restaurant. Very difficult to feel distanced. Even the breeze worried me as we were very clearly down wind of the crowded table 6 ft away.

And then the next night we got take out. It was raining. Everyone crowded inside, and we had to walk the gauntlet through the crowd up to the counter to get our food.

I'm noticing things crowding up here in my neck of the woods. While not nearly as bad as Florida beaches, it is getting harder to avoid others. Two months ago I could walk around my neighborhood, and getting nearer than 10 feet to a person required conscious effort. Now they seem to be coming at me every minute or so. Yet, masks are everywhere even outside. People step aside almost automatically. But, behavrious are easing up. My 7 Day Running Average for the county seems to be plateauing in the range of 120-140 new cases a day. This is far above the 25 per day the Guv wanted (granted that rate is far to low for a high population county).

Headed to Tallulah Gorge tomorrow. The little store that overlooks the chasm will close at the end of the month. :(

After staring into the ditch for a while, we'll probably scope out some waterfalls and wineries in the area. Will bunk in Helen after a good jagerschnitzel and sauerkraut dinner.

It was my hunting buddies son's birthday today and we were invited along for airsoft. Since it was outdoors and getting too close to someone means you get lit up with full auto plastic pellets, I figured it would be ok. Wearing a mask all day is tough in 95 degree weather.

Took DGFs grandson fishing yesterday. He caught 3 little bluegills and was proud as can be. Made my day to play with him and got us all outside on a nice day.
NY upped the list of States requiring quarantining after visiting to 31 yesterday, including Maryland where we planned on doing a few days at the ocean get away next week. We'll be looking for a few days lake front local instead I guess.

Heading off to a camping trip in the National Forest tomorrow. There will be people around because it is a popular area to camp, but I imagine that it will take a willful action on my part to get within 100 yards of another person unless I encounter them on the trails.

Just got back from an 8-day, 3,900 mile road trip from Kentucky to Montana and back. It was absolutely delightful.

All highway rest areas were open and exceptionally clean. Most people were very good about wearing a mask when inside any building, although still learning about social distancing.

Restaurants were generally very good about keeping people separated, and diners were generally good about keeping their masks on except while eating.

Hotels were all good about sanitizing, masks, distancing, etc. No problems there.

Overall, I would not discourage anyone from traveling now, as long as you take proper precautions. We were extremely cautious, but still had a great trip.

There was only one somewhat odd spot where we felt people had let their guard down a bit too much. We took a little side trip to see Devils Tower in Wyoming, which I had been fascinated by since seeing the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

I hadn't realized that it was the very first National Monument. Definitely worth a visit, but it was more crowded with tourists than I expected and they seemed to be so entranced by the location that masks and distancing were largely forgotten. Somewhat understandable, but a bit disconcerting. Fortunately, the visitor's center was still closed so we didn't have to mingle too closely with the throngs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom