Can anyone read this?

I've spent an hour or two on this since last night so here are my observations. Not done, but it's a start.
There is no y in the German language.

line 1 Johannes Henrius Latinized two s's written differently though
line 2 et Anna Gertrud et means "and" in Latin the Y is not a Y, it is a J. J is used in German when the next word begins with an I ie Jngeborg instead of Ingeborg. I cannot make out the last word unless it's bigger
line 3 u sometimes an abbreviation for uxor, or wife in Latin, hoest? meaning host?, inqly which may be inqls (the y looks like the ending s in Henrius in line 1, no y in German) inqls may be an abbreviation in Latin for inquillinus, meaning tenant, lodger, fug?, wirth?? ?? old German for inn, innkeeper

I know it's not a comprehensible sentence to us, but again, things were spelt phonetically and not by Websters. Trying to go between my German to English and Latin to English Genealogical Dictionaries, is a lot of flipping back through pages, and books. I'll get back to it later.

Last edited:
I am German and have looked into quite a lot of old handwritten family documents, for myself and friends, mixed latin, austrian, low german languages and dialects.
I could not read your text.
It might help if you could give a hint which area of Germany is involved or, as others have mentioned, a longer excerpt of the document.

Feel free to PM me. If you are concerned of privacy, I am a lawyer, so under obligation of discretion ;-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom