Canadians living in the USA and receiving OAS

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have applied for my Canadian OAS, I only had a few years working in Canada, one has to have at least 10 years ........ normally. I have less, but there is a treaty with the USA that allows US work history to be taken into consideration, then 1/40th of the max ~$16 Canadian per month for every year worked in Canada. So, if one had say 9 years in Canada prior to coming to the USA and say 20 years in the USA, one should qualify and get 9/40ths of the max. As far as I can see OAS is not a pension as such and is not paid into, so is not subject to WEP.

Has anyone here been through the process of applying from the USA and being successful?

Are you a Canadian citizen or did you just work in Canada? OAS is only available to Canadian citizens.

Are you a Canadian citizen or did you just work in Canada? OAS is only available to Canadian citizens.

I am sorry, I thought that would have been assumed as I as asking the question in the first place. Yes, and a US Citizen.

Last edited:
^^ that is incorrect.

"""You can receive the Old Age Security (OAS) pension even if you have never worked or are still working.
If you are living outside Canada, you must:
- be 65 years old or older
- have been a Canadian citizen or a legal resident of Canada on the day before you left Canada
- have resided in Canada for at least 20 years since the age of 18"""

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/old-age-security/eligibility.html

Yes
Yes

Not in Canada, but according to the treaty as I stated in my OP, I can use the working years in the US to make up years to achieve the 20 requirement.

Back
Top Bottom