Can't Justify an Expensive Hobby Even If I Can Afford It

I gave up my plane a couple of years ago, still miss it, but the wife was a nervous flyer and it was mostly mine. The cost was getting hard for me to justify.

I did replace it with another hobby, but not quite as expensive boat. The boat pic was taken after Ian went through the backyard, notice the pool cages.

And I’m not sure how anyone justifies golf, and I’ve been doing it for years.

Attachments

• 1033A4E5-A8E6-45FD-916E-F29E38BE3827.jpg
    1033A4E5-A8E6-45FD-916E-F29E38BE3827.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 75
  • CDCF4EB4-2F7D-4CAF-8218-8F360EFA2575.jpg
    CDCF4EB4-2F7D-4CAF-8218-8F360EFA2575.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 100
I'm trying to justify spending money on a snowmobile. Lots of things to consider. My age and physical condition is one, I really shouldn't be out with the younger guys busting the powder only to over exert myself or actually hurt myself.
I've had to face that too in my riskier activities. These days I can still do pretty much anything I want but I find that I now pace myself and think about what I'm doing and how I could get hurt... Doesn't stop me but it does give me pause... In the past I never thought about the danger. How I made it to this age without serious injury (or worse) has been nothing short of a miracle.

My sister in law doesn't have time for hobbies as she travels a lot. I guess that's her hobby. She's been on 12 trips abroad this year and others within the States. And shes been doing this for several years although maybe not to this extent. Sounds like work to me.

For me I play golf and travel to my condo on the gulf coast frequently. So those two things I enjoy and occupy my time. Not cheap either but I haven't lost any sleep. The condo has increased in value so it may not end up being costly at all but market conditions will tell the story whenever I decide to sell.
Travel really is a hobby for people who do it often for pleasure. That’s what we spend the most $$ out of our budget on. And we allocate plenty to it.

I'm trying to justify spending money on a snowmobile. Lots of things to consider. My age and physical condition is one, I really shouldn't be out with the younger guys busting the powder only to over exert myself or actually hurt myself.
At our cabin there are many miles of groomed trails to ride from the cabin. Thinking a 2 up touring sled might be better (safer) than a powder machine. My DW will probably come with me but she can't see much sitting behind me. I do have an older smaller sled she can ride. I do have friends who have offered me to borrow their spare machines and there is a rental place a mile away. The biggest problem is we'll only spend a month up in the winter. Kinda hard to justify spending $$ on a sled, even a used one, with that short a time to use it each winter. Then there is the expense of getting it running each winter. Might be better to just rent one.
Yet you are going to all the trouble to relocate your household for a month each winter, and you maintain ownership of the cabin and I suppose will for years, so why scrimp on something enjoyable to do while there? Even if only for a few years?

I fly quite expensive turbine radio control models. My spending on the hobby does compete for funding with the rest of my budget. I set limits to it and just managed it as any other discretionary item.
As long as I managed it my spending responsibly , I see no problem, nor judgment needed.

Awesome! Any bigger and you could get in it and fly it!:D

At our cabin there are many miles of groomed trails to ride from the cabin. Thinking a 2 up touring sled might be better (safer) than a powder machine. My DW will probably come with me but she can't see much sitting behind me. I do have an older smaller sled she can ride. I do have friends who have offered me to borrow their spare machines and there is a rental place a mile away. The biggest problem is we'll only spend a month up in the winter. Kinda hard to justify spending $$ on a sled, even a used one, with that short a time to use it each winter. Then there is the expense of getting it running each winter. Might be better to just rent one.

That sounds reasonable and it leaves you with more money for another hobby during the summer.

Cheers!

It's easy. I play golf 2-3 times a week. It's so much less expensive than what I spent boating for 30 years, golf is a screaming bargain by comparison. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Ditto, although I find it pretty easy to justify. Great friendships, good exercise (I usually walk), and challenging. We tend to play a local muni for weekly rounds, which is around $20 if walking. We’ll splurge on a nice course about once a month. Equipment is an entire universe to itself, though. I have a fitting scheduled early next year…..

RVing is the hobby that I’d love to pursue and can afford to, but the mentality that helped me achieve early retirement just won’t allow me to do it. So we find lodging in national parks or rent VRBO cabins/homes.

We spent what many would consider a small fortune on our 2017 new--to-us coastal home in S. CA. No regrets because we enjoy the lifestyle changes it has delivered every. single. day.

Same with our depreciating-value travel trailer. It elevates our lives in so many ways.

Perhaps this all falls under the category of `when you know, you know.'. If the hobby is delivering value+, no second guessing occurs. If it doesn't, then it does.

For 12 years we rescued older dogs and always had 4. After 5 years I added up what we spent in vet bills only and it was 30k. I was shocked. Now I only have 2 and may only have one in the future but will never be without one.

Where is your front license plate? :cool: Or was this picture taken in the first few months after you bought the car?

attachment.php

In Michigan we don’t require a front plate. Hopefully audreyh1’s state doesn’t require a front plate.

I think if you "100%" can afford the expense, without harming further budget, why do you need to justify it?
Unless your spouse is not on board with the cost. That, however is a whole other issue.

In Michigan we don’t require a front plate. Hopefully audreyh1’s state doesn’t require a front plate.

Even if it did ...

When we lived in Ohio, which required a front plate, DW never put one on any of her cars -- she just didn't like the looks of it.
None of the surrounding states had a front plate requirement, but Ohio kept it until recently.

Surely one of the most extremely minor rules you could break.

Thanks to the OP, I just bought myself a “mountain biking fundamentals” course. I’d been thinking about enrolling, but since it’s a new hobby for me (I ride mostly gravel or rail-trails) and one that DH will not pursue, I was feeling a little guilty about spending the money. But when I read the OP my initial reaction to that post was “you say you can afford it so what’s the question?” I then realized I was doing the same thing.

The mtb course was on sale today. It cost less than $200 - not even a blip on our spending. It will help me learn correct technique, which in turn should keep me safer and make the rides more enjoyable. I was stupid to hesitate. My new mountain bike was delivered last week and will be built soon, and in April I’m taking a class to help me get started. (But first I think I’ll buy some knee pads)

It does (Texas)... Hated that front plate on my Vettes... They make after market plate holders that allow you to use the front plate without drilling holes in the the front bumper. Well worth it, IMO
That was shortly before we got our license plates.
Super, just wanted to be sure you were keeping it legal. :)

Many decades ago, I got to ride in a sled on group outings via snowmobile. It's got a bad side, which is the breathing of exhaust fumes. It was quite smelly. I'd rather sit backwards on a snowmobile than ride in a sled.

Travel really is a hobby for people who do it often for pleasure. That’s what we spend the most $$ out of our budget on. And we allocate plenty to it.

We also enjoy travel, like to see new places, I guess it is a hobby.

Perhaps OP's hobby is like travel, a person can do a LOT and spend a LOT, or just do a little and spend correspondingly little.

One thing to consider, is some hobbies can only be done up to certain physical abilities or ages.

It does (Texas)... Hated that front plate on my Vettes... They make after market plate holders that allow you to use the front plate without drilling holes in the the front bumper. Well worth it, IMO

Super, just wanted to be sure you were keeping it legal. :)

We took the opportunity to change to the new conservation license plate featuring the Lucifer Hummingbird which can be found in Big Bend National Park.

Attachments

• 9E423F53-FE07-49D3-AF09-6AF740451D92.png
    9E423F53-FE07-49D3-AF09-6AF740451D92.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 279
I'm one of the people who used to have an airplane, a Piper Tri-Pacer in the mid 1970's for a couple of years. I was single at the time and had a ball with it but I also wanted a house and there was no way I could afford both.

So for going on 30 years now I fly R/C airplanes, although I'm not in the same league as Peres99 flying turbine jets. Mine now are mostly foam electrics, and about a dozen very small ones that I can fly in the back yard in the winter. On the plus side, on the rare occasion when "bad things happen" it's not a budget-buster and nobody gets hurt. One of the interesting things I found is that the people involved in both R/C airplanes and full-size airplanes are pretty much the same and that adds greatly to the enjoyment. Like me, many R/C hobbyists have participated in both scales of aviation.

I think if you "100%" can afford the expense, without harming further budget, why do you need to justify it?
Unless your spouse is not on board with the cost. That, however is a whole other issue.

I'm single and my hobby is travel.:D Fortunately my late husband also loved it so we had similar priorities.

I do track expenses by category and this year's travel figure was a new high. Partly it was my "I don't care what it costs" Business Class round trip to and from Munich in May, part was my 3-week E Europe trip (some paid in 2021, airfare paid with points), some advance payments for next year. It's been a long dry spell!

As long as I don't go over the amount I withdraw from my savings for the year (3.5% average w/d rate) and I'm comfortable with the balance between spending on necessities, giving to charity, saving for my grandchildren's education and frills, I don't sweat what I spend on frills.

Tonight I'm spending a night in a local hotel with my granddaughters. They are so excited! DDIL's family is having their major Christmas celebration a month form now to accommodate family work schedules and be together for the anniversary of her Dad's death in January of this year so we'[re not doing much here except going to church.

I know I won't be mobile forever- already slowed down a bit by slightly leaky heart valves that leave me short of breath on fast uphill walks/bike rides. So, enjoy hobbies while you can. Life has no guarantees.

I thought my woodworking and photography hobbies would be more expensive in the early years as I acquired the tools to get the hobbies up and running. But I later found that the acquisitions never stop. There's always a new woodworking tool, piece of wood, camera to buy or photo location to travel to. And there's always somewhere new to go hiking, even if it costs $10k to get there.

The deeper one gets into hobbies, the more expensive they get.

I thought my woodworking and photography hobbies would be more expensive in the early years as I acquired the tools to get the hobbies up and running. But I later found that the acquisitions never stop. There's always a new woodworking tool, piece of wood, camera to buy or photo location to travel to.

The deeper one gets into hobbies, the more expensive they get.
Very, very true... For me anyway... I spent much more on my lifelong hobbies in the last five years during my hay-day (before I started to cutback), than I did in the "50 years" altogether before that.

Last edited:
Justify to who?

I don't have to justify anything to anyone. I do have to ensure that my wife and I have enough money to live the life we want as long as we are on the right side of the grass. We are in it together and decide what to splurge on together

I would say Flying Business class on international flights could go into the justify to others question as an example. As long as we together decide, then that is what we are going to do for the travel Hobby

Cars can be an expensive hobby and it is hard to justify how much we spend to purchase or modify our vehicles or toys

Some would spend a lot on an RV and that could go into the hard to justify column. I imported mine brand new from Australia . . . . My wife was fine with it

The below is over $160K worth of toys. Someone asked me how I justify taking an $80K vehicle, add about $30K in modifications and then take it offroad where it gets banged up. Then pull and expensive imported Australian Camper over mountains. My response has been to not wheel it if you are afraid to break it. Or for any hobby, go all the way or not at all :)

Justify to who?

Attachments

• Gami3.jpg
    Gami3.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom