Carbon Fiber Stock

retire@40

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've been hearing a lot of talk about the uses and benefits of carbon fiber.

Anyone investing in carbon fiber companies like Hexcel (HXL) or Zoltek (ZOLT)?

That stuff is going take off and make those who invest all rich.

1968 - I was working on the American SST at Boeing. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D. Titanium anyone!

I do remember Dustin Hoffman and pssst Plastics in The Graduate.

Perhaps sufficient time has past to make a big enough market - it has penetrated a lot of areas since the 60's. Boron fiber was in the race then also.

heh heh heh - :cool: Basically I have no idea. Hexcell's bread and butter was aluminum honeycomb back then.

I've been hearing a lot of talk about the uses and benefits of carbon fiber.

Anyone investing in carbon fiber companies like Hexcel (HXL) or Zoltek (ZOLT)?
It's still OOM more expensive to produce CF composites than any of the established mainstream composites - fiberglass is the most common. Not only is CF itself expensive (and currently getting worse), so are the epoxies typically used with it (vs polyesters for fiberglass). And all the associated equipment is more expensive because CF and CF dust are very conductive so they wreak havoc on electrical systems (glass fibers are not conductive which simplifies things) for composites manufacturers. Not an issue with the finished composite part.

CF makes sense where a) lighter weight/higher strength justifies the much higher costs and/or b) where state-of-the-art performance regardless of cost are in play. So you see CF composites on race cars/boats/planes (the new Boeing jet), high end sporting goods and other products, but still very small niche products compared to most of the products made with composites today. Maybe someday, but nothing radical in the near term IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom