Carryon Luggage Hassles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am definitely over the 8kg limit which is typical for carryon.

Where is there an 8kg limit on carry-ons? My google search says no weight limit.

I hope that there isn't a weight limit. My backpack's dimensions are smaller than the max dimensions, but it weighs a lot. Probably over 25 lbs.

As an aside, we recently signed up for a float plane fly-in to Katmai National Park in Alaska. We had to state the weights of each person in our group.

I can see the day when the airlines will charge by the pound.

Wow

Even before I became a grump I felt like "if we're competing in the workforce then you can haul your own bag!" That being said I still open doors for the fairer sex.

Sorry to hear that you were threatened by women, who only want to have the right to support themselves. I am a small woman and help the elderly, the young, irrespective of gender, and bear no resentment toward them on their ability to earn more or less than me.

Last edited by a moderator:
.... I think my approach would be to stand in the aisle at my chosen seat until someone offered to assist me. Want to squeeze by? Sure, if you can. Or maybe I would sit down and leave the carry-on in the aisle until someone decided to help. That's no more selfish than what's been suggested as a "solution."

pb4uski's attitude is exactly what's wrong with flying, driving and lines in the grocery store. Me first, and the heck with everyone else. Some thought and discussion with compassion for others might help in finding a more equitable and efficient solution for everyone.

Like your "me first" attitude bolded above is useful? Like you think that you're entitled to someone's help with your carryon because you can't put them in the overhead bin yourself? You're the one who should be checking in your luggage!

Now that said, I help people put their luggage in and out of the overhead bins all the time because I want to be helpful.... but if some jerk came along and thought that they were entitled to my help then that is a whole other kettle of fish.

Smile and ask me nice and you are very likely to get help... be insistent that I must help you because you can't do it yourself but you still refuse to check your bag or just leave your stuff in the middle of he aisle and I'm unlikely to be very accomodating.

Sorry. If you don't like it ... too bad.

WADR, YOU are the one with the attitude problem.

Last edited:
Where is there an 8kg limit on carry-ons? My google search says no weight limit.

Depends on the airline. Lots of European and Asian airlines have limits.
This is a pretty good summary chart. https://upgradedpoints.com/carry-on-luggage-size-chart

Even when they have weight limits all of the airlines don't seem to enforce consistently. Some never seem to weigh, some weigh bags that look big or heavy. I've heard budget airlines like RyanAir are more likely to be sticklers for weight.

There are a lot of things that suck about flying and it's all part of the joy of flying. We can complain all we want but is what it is. I think that's why Southwest sends me free drink tickets every couple of months!

If I cannot put the bag in the overhead bin because of a disability, yes I think I am entitled to help. If a person who is disabled has to check his or her baggage because their disability prevents them from using the overhead bin, that to me is discrimination. That person is in as much of a hurry to attend to his or her business as you are and should not be stuck waiting for baggage so you are not inconvenienced on board the plane.

No! You are not entitled to help. The fact that you think you are is the problem.

There is no discrimination. Anyone who can safely put their carryon bag in the overhead bin can take a carryon. They can't expect others to do it for them nor can they expect the airline employees to do it for them. They could be fully able but with an injury of some sort that prevents them or some other reason, or disabled... doesn't matter... which is why it is not discrimnatory.

They can still fly... they just have to check their bags.

Why do you see that as a problem?

Last edited:
No! You are not entitled to help. The fact that you think you are is the problem.

There is no discrimination. Anyone who can safely put their carryon bag in the overhead bin can take a carryon. They can't expect others to do it for them nor can they expect the airline employees to do it for them. They could be fully able but with an injury of some sort that prevents them or some other reason, or disabled... doesn't matter... which is why it is not discrimnatory.

They can still fly... they just have to check their bags.

Why do you see that as a problem?

Suppose we are going to the same business meeting. You get to leave the airport earlier and get to the meeting. I have to wait at the baggage claim and arrive later.

To be clear, I don't think another passenger should assist me. I think the airline has an obligation to assist its' passengers. Pre-boarding and assisting with storing luggage is part of treating the customer fairly.

Suppose we are going to the same business meeting. You get to leave the airport earlier and get to the meeting. I have to wait at the baggage claim and arrive later.

To be clear, I don't think another passenger should assist me. I think the airline has an obligation to assist its' passengers. Pre-boarding and assisting with storing luggage is part of treating the customer fairly.

Wrong. Again.

And here you thought it was their job to do stuff like this. Nope. Flight attendants are actually not permitted to lift your bags because it causes too many injuries — a huge worker’s comp issue. “The rule is, if you can’t lift it into the overhead bin yourself, check it,” says Kathleen. A flight attendant can help you push your bag further into the bin once it’s up there or help you close the door, but that’s about it.

Passengers who can’t lift their own carry on bags drive me crazy. We deal with this everyday. I’m here to inform you that your flight attendant is not required to lift your heavy bag and put it in the overhead bin if you can’t lift it. We are here to assist you in putting your bag up which means you will partake in the bag being lifted and placed in the overhead bin. It’s a two man job when the flight attendant is involved. If you are 5’1, 85 years old, in a wheelchair, or incapable of reaching the overhead bin then you should check your bag. If you can reach the overhead bin but think it’s cute to pack your rock collection to take with you cross country please don’t even think about asking me to lift it up over my head. I’m not here to injure myself and miss out of work because you don’t know how to pack.

You clearly did not understand what I said. Or rather did not say. I did not specify who should assist the passenger or how. There are numerous ways to resolve this without discriminating against the passenger or injuring a flight attendant.

I am familiar with what some flight attendants say and do and how Southwest does not handle this well. It's not relevant to a well thought out approach to the problem, which should come from the airlines, possibly with some government or court supervision if they can't figure it out themselves.

Or maybe we should dispense with flight attendants altogether in favor of a couple of burly guys that can handle all kinds of passenger issues, including but not limited to placing luggage in overhead bins. They can toss people off the aircraft to speed up the evacuation process as well in the event of an emergency.

Depends on the airline. Lots of European and Asian airlines have limits.
This is a pretty good summary chart. https://upgradedpoints.com/carry-on-luggage-size-chart

Even when they have weight limits all of the airlines don't seem to enforce consistently. Some never seem to weigh, some weigh bags that look big or heavy. I've heard budget airlines like RyanAir are more likely to be sticklers for weight.

Yea, I noticed that Hawaii Air has a 25 pound carry on limit on our recent trip. My carry on with our scuba regulators in it weighed about 45 pounds, but they didn't check weights.

None of the U.S. majors publish a carry on weight limit, and I've never seen one enforced.

You clearly did not understand what I said. Or rather did not say. I did not specify who should assist the passenger or how. There are numerous ways to resolve this without discriminating against the passenger or injuring a flight attendant.

I am familiar with what some flight attendants say and do and how Southwest does not handle this well. It's not relevant to a well thought out approach to the problem, which should come from the airlines, possibly with some government or court supervision if they can't figure it out themselves.

Or maybe we should dispense with flight attendants altogether in favor of a couple of burly guys that can handle all kinds of passenger issues, including but not limited to placing luggage in overhead bins. They can toss people off the aircraft to speed up the evacuation process as well in the event of an emergency.

Or you could just stop being obstinate and check your bag. :D

FWIW, I understood exactly what your said:
....I think my approach would be to stand in the aisle at my chosen seat until someone offered to assist me. Want to squeeze by? Sure, if you can. Or maybe I would sit down and leave the carry-on in the aisle until someone decided to help. ...

Given that during the boarding the only people in the cabin are passengers and flight attendants, then whoever "someone" is was pretty obvious... it was lame of you to try to walk it back now and suggest that yet another party would be brought to the cabit to assist you.

Just check your bloody bag.

Last edited:
The jollystomper method for dealing with this carry on situation:

- If checking my bags vs. carry on will make a difference for getting to a business meeting, I get an earlier flight. Or go the night before. :)

- if my luggage can be carry on or checked, I will more do carry on on outgoing flights than returning home flights. I can better deal with a potential lost bag when I am home (and my bags have only been misplaced twice in 40+ years of Megacorp and personal flying).

- if my luggage can be carry on or checked, I will tend to do carryon if I am in an early boarding group, to minimize any hassle for myself or other passengers.

- I do not use a carry on that cannot go in wheels first, as to take up less width in the overhead.

- If checking a bag I will keep spare toiletries/shirt/pants/underthingies in a carry on just in case. This usually fits in something I can put under my seat.

- I have no problem helping someone lift carry on luggage into a bin that has room. I draw the line at taking mine or other peoples already stowed items out and playing musical bins to try to accommodate someone. That is a role I leave to the flight attendants.

- I remind myself that there are much worse things in the world than the carry on wars. :) The only fights I have personally witnessed on airplanes had to do, or started with, carryon luggage conflicts.

Well, that's not going to happen because the people that need help won't put up with being treated differently. Based on what I see on Southwest, that's not an insignificant percentage of the flying public.

The best and safest solution is to eliminate overhead bins, which are unsafe anyway in most emergency situations. Everyone checks their bags and the airlines, the relevant government agencies, and maybe the passengers come up with ways to reunite passengers with their belongings quickly and accurately.

What you said and I forgot to quote in my reply. If I'm in that situation, I'm not checking my bag. Neither are the other folks in that situation. Deal with it.

Wanna put a bet on that?

Sorry, but you are the one who is going to have to live to deal with not taking a carryon unless you can put it in the overhead bin yourself... that is NOT an accomodation that airlines are required to make under the law and it is unlikely to ever be one.... so deal with it.

I know you don't like it but tough nuts.

You have no power or right to insist that because you are not able to put your carryon in the overhead bin that others who can can't use them. Good luck with your crusade. You're pushing a rope.

Last edited:
Most budget European airlines have a 10 kg. or 22 lb. maximum weight on carry on bags. Ask what the size limitations are, and they'll tell you "put it in the rack." They don't know, but if it won't fit in the rack it'll have to be checked. European budget airlines use their 21" maximum as a source of additional income as 21" bags are actually 22" with the wheels on them. I've argued my bags on the flight a number of times when the gate agents were very busy. Boeing and Airbus planes easily take any 22" carryon in overhead bins.

Wanna put a bet on that?

Sorry, but you are the one who is going to have to live to deal with not taking a carryon unless you can put it in the overhead bin yourself... that is NOT an accomodation that airlines are required to make under the law and it is unlikely to ever be one.... so deal with it.

I know you don't like it but tough nuts.

You have no power or right to insist that because you are not able to put your carryon in the overhead bin that others who can can't use them. Good luck with your crusade. You're pushing a rope.

What a positive, helpful attitude you project... We will see how this plays out over the next couple of years.

What a positive, helpful attitude you project... We will see how this plays out over the next couple of years.

My attitude is like a mirror... positive and helpful is reflected... as is the opposite.... you reap what you sow.

But it seems that since you say that we'll see how this plays out over the next couple years that you have conceded that you don't currently have right to have "someone" put your carryon in the overhead bin but would like that right. Good luck to you with that... with your attitude, you're going to need all the luck that you can find.

My attitude is like a mirror... positive and helpful is reflected... as is the opposite.... you reap what you sow.

But it seems that since you say that we'll see how this plays out over the next couple years that you have conceded that you don't currently have right to have "someone" put your carryon in the overhead bin but would like that right. Good luck to you with that... with your attitude, you're going to need all the luck that you can find.

I concede no such thing. My observation is that Southwest has a lot of different responses depending on where and when I observe the interactions. I don't think Southwest has a good handle on this. Since the response is inconsistent, I expect someone to push this to a confrontation that will result in a court action or some regulatory ruling, especially if the issue is not confined to Southwest.

Next up: How about those "service" animals vs the people with allergies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom