Cause an Accident, Get Handcuffed?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So, I was driving back home a short while ago where along side I see three cars and a police vehicle. My first gawk and I see two people standing by their cars and talking on their cell phones. Then a little closer, I see one guy standing upright. As I glance closer, I noticed that he has handcuffs on him. The cars did have some damage but didn't look like major damage.

My assumption is he caused the accident and as a result got handcuffed? Is that a regular thing to do? Unless he got cuffed perhaps with previous trouble with the law?

What was interesting is the police officer wasn't even near him but talking to one of the other people who was on her phone.

I haven't heard of that in decades but it is possible. If he resided out of state in a state that did not have a reciprocity agreement with then the officer can and will put handcuffs on him, take him before a judge or magistrate and there he is giving the opportunity to either pay the fine or request a court date and post bail. But reciprocity agreements are pretty much universal across the country now.

Far more likely is that the officer ran a wanted check and he had an outstanding warrant for some misdemeanor offense and never took care of it.

Could be all kinds of reasons. Outstanding warrant seems them most likely, but he could've gotten into an argument with one of the other persons involved or with the officer and gotten cuffed, or maybe he was intoxicated, just for a couple off the top of my head. Thinking he got cuffed just for causing an accident is the least likely of those, IMO.

What I found surprising was the guy who was cuffed physical appearance didn't look disheveled or like he had too much to drink or anything. At first I thought he probably needed assistance from an accident but when looking closer, noticed the shiny hand cuffs around his wrist.

Failure to pay child support.

Not a LEO, but yeah, based on my knowledge of the procedures, unless the guy who was cuffed is believed to have been driving while under the influence, outstanding warrants are most likely.

Not a LEO, but yeah, based on my knowledge of the procedures, unless the guy who was cuffed is believed to have been driving while under the influence, outstanding warrants are most likely.

A friend of my GF had that happen to him a couple weeks ago. He got pulled over for speeding, but got cuffed and stuffed for a speeding ticket he forgot to pay several years ago. The dreaded outstanding warrant got him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...He got pulled over for speeding, but got cuffed and stuffed for a speeding ticket he forgot to pay several years ago. The dreaded outstanding warrant got him.

I have often wondered how people "forget" to take care of a ticket.

I agree. The guy makes good money, so it wasn't about the cost,as I'm sure he found out it was more by not taking care of it when he should have. But, I'm the type of person when a bill comes in I write the check and mail it off the next day.

Or maybe LEO was just in a bad mood. A few yrs ago, after writing me a traffic ticket a big city LEO threatened to "cuff" me and "take me downtown" for asking a simple question about the traffic situation involved (totally calm and respectful interaction up to that point, BTW). FWIW- At the time I was just a neat, sober, passive, middle class white guy driving a clean late model midsize American sedan with not so much as an outstanding parking ticket on my record............
........Thank you for randomly choosing to hassle me today, officer :LOL:

Its not a problem here in socially progressive Thailand. "Officer, here is the money, please pay the fine for me."

Since the Thais have a 'paperless system' no receipt is given and one more tree is saved :D

Or maybe LEO was just in a bad mood. A few yrs ago, after writing me a traffic ticket a big city LEO threatened to "cuff" me and "take me downtown" for asking a simple question about the traffic situation involved (totally calm and respectful interaction up to that point, BTW). FWIW- At the time I was just a neat, sober, passive, middle class white guy driving a clean late model midsize American sedan with not so much as an outstanding parking ticket on my record............
........Thank you for randomly choosing to hassle me today, officer :LOL:

Definitely happens. I've been cuffed and hassled twice (in my younger, less affluent looking days) just for saying no when the officer politely asked me if I'd mind him looking around in my car. Some cops don't like being told no or questioned.

Once I just had to stand there with the cuffs on for about 15 mins while he looked into my windows. He kept saying if I didn't have anything to hide, why refuse? That really pisses me off.

The other time he made me stand around for over an hour while he called for backup and they browbeat me and threatening me with calling for a K9 unit, hoping to get me to change my mind. But eventually they let me go with just the speeding ticket.

Now, however, I've discovered the beauty of cruise control and my lead foot and smart mouth haven't gotten me in any trouble (with the police, at least) for years. Knock on wood.

I'm the type of person when a bill comes in I write the check and mail it off the next day.

"Check?"

"Mail?"

You know it's 2014, right? ;)

Try Internet banking. You can pay that bill in seconds and save a killing on stamps and checks.

"Check?"

"Mail?"

You know it's 2014, right? ;)

Try Internet banking. You can pay that bill in seconds and save a killing on stamps and checks.

Ain't happening! I can write a check and stuff it in the envelope before you can get your passwords entered. :) I do have a few auto bill payments and I balance my account online. My checks are free, I maybe write a half dozen a month, and the post office is on my walking loop. Besides someone has to perpetuate the stereotype that old people are resistant change. It might as well be me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom