Celebrate birthdays at work?

At my firm you get your birthday off if it falls during the workweek. Seems to me they dont like celebrating much of anything around here. Besides when the people pay their bills.

Andre1969 said:
"That'll be 8 dollars".

I know this is a birthday thread, but this line reminded me so much of a promotion party hosted by a very cheap frugal guy at his own house. As the night was winding down, he pipes and says "That'll be 5 bucks a head for the pizza!"

Andre1969,

That kinda drama is one of the reasons I loathe these things. Although I will say my last job at megacorp was smarter about it. If it was your birthday, you got to pick whatever cake YOU wanted. They would buy several cakes to suit the birthday people. If you didn't like the cake, you didn't eat it and could just pick something different when it was your birthday.

We don't celebrate birthdays as a matter of course, here in MegaCorp. However, when our SVP turned 40, they had a small party for him.

When I worked in an office they got tired of all the birthday stuff so they started giving everyone the day off for their birthday. But then some people would float that to a Friday or Monday so that they could have an extended weekend. Others carried it to Thanksgiving or Christmas or whatever. It completely lost it's function along the way.

My husband's office is a nice, close bunch of people that all get along well. But they have more parties than I've ever seen. They do the cake and cards in the office and then they also go out to lunch, with my husband (the boss) paying for the birthday person's lunch. He always buys them a gift, too. This can easily add up to $40-$45. I've pointed out that this seems a little out of line. But he likes to show he appreciates them and they do something similar for him on his birthday. He thinks it's worth it in "good will".

They were getting out of control at Christmas, too. But the last few years they cut way back on gifts to others in the office and instead have a "giving tree" where you can buy gifts for needy families or developmentally disabled adults. That seems to be a much better idea.

A couple years back I was in a small office (~20 people) that did cake & song for each person in the office. Though I agree with the person that said singing shouldn't be done past age 13 or so, I liked my coworkers in the office so taking 15 min out of the day to stand around and socialize was fine.

Moved from there to a Megacorp job, typically no birthdays but about every 2-3 months, there would be a party for something or another (retirement, year end, bigwig's birthday etc.) for the finance group of 60+ people. Beer and wine was provided so they weren't bad. Good turnout, too :LOL: (Megacorp also supplied taxis home for anyone who needed and usually a few people would take advantage)

Report prints out boss tells managers and if you're working that day they will say Happy Birthday.

Back
Top Bottom