CGX Offering Veterans Coins

RetireBy90

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Coast Guard Exchanges are offering a veterans coin to veterans on 11 Nov. For those that are retired military or veterans with Homeland Security ID the local CGX is a great store with exchange prices similar to Army, Navy, and Air Force exchanges. You can check if there is one near you at shopcgx.com

How does that differ from the regular https://www.mynavyexchange.com/

As to unit coins, after I retired I began hearing of them on TV.

Now 20 years later, they have began popping up at reunions.

Someone is making bank by minting those coins. I am confused though since they never existed during my 20-year Active Duty career, what are we supposed to do with such a coin?

My closest AFEES is on an Air Force base, I went there today for smokes.

How does that differ from the regular https://www.mynavyexchange.com/

Someone is making bank by minting those coins. I am confused though since they never existed during my 20-year Active Duty career, what are we supposed to do with such a coin?

My closest AFEES is on an Air Force base, I went there today for smokes.

I haven’t done any on-line with them except to find a location. The store is same as NEX and AAFES. And like the others no sales tax.

I never heard of coins while on active duty either, guess they are collectibles, if you go in for that.

No doubt that their presence has increased in the last 20 years, but they are not new in concept. I got my first one in 1993 for being part of a team which won a regimental competition. Now in my last month of active duty, I have 13 pounds of them. Most received as gifts, for winning something, high scores in a class, as thanks for assistance, for being a guest speaker at graduations(voluntold), commemorative type coins for a deployment, or exchanged between units. They are trinkets/keepsakes, and I'll make a display for them when I buy a house-currently in a rental. Some of them hold similiar value to me as my thankfully small collection of black bracelets.

You're right-lots of companies are making money off them them. Usually Korean or Chinese companies, but a few US based as well.

Army units, battalion or higher, actually have a small budget for them. Giving out official coins is regulated and can be audited. No restrictions on unofficial coins.

13 pounds of coins. Some are a bit gaudy.

IMG-1865.jpg

I never saw them while active, old squadron has made them for reunions.
Wife gets the from her travels, given,trade buy .

I first heard of them after I retired from active duty (yes, a very long time ago). I heard them called "challenge coins" since the idea was that if you were at the bar in the O club you had to pull it out of your pocket when challenged or else buy the bar a round of drinks. (Are there still O clubs?).

I've accumulated about half a dozen since retiring, one place or another. No real interest in them.

Back
Top Bottom