Changing jobs with just over a year to go?

DangerMouse

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm just wondering if anyone is or has been in a similar situation.

We only have 16 months to go, however I don't think I can remain in my current employment situation. The person at the head of my department is a total dickhead, does nothing and causes major issues, Senior Management know this but believe in giving "second chances". In the meantime I'm expected to do what are essentially his duties because he is incompetent.

I have two options, the first being shut up and do it and let the stress build and the anger fester. My second option is to obviously jump ship to what may or may not be any better. At this time I am thinking option 2 is where I should head. I am not overly concerned about getting another job as it is a candidate's market, and even if my salary should drop slightly that would not be the end of the world.

My husband thinks I should stick where I am and put up with the crap, whereas I think a fresh start is called for as 16 months is a long time to be unhappy.

Has anyone else faced a similar situation?

I haven't faced that but let's ignore your intent to retire in a year for a moment - would you look for another position? If the answer is yes then I think you should think it through further.

The following applies whatever you do: don't disclose that you intent to resign in a year or so. No one will invest themselves in a short timer.

First I would try to find another position within the business. You won't need to tell HR or management why you are seeking another position, in fact don't 'dis' your current manager. (If you leave you would not likely be able to participate in the new employer's 401k.)

There are some jobs where changing employers has little consequence.. nursing, pharmacy come to mind at the moment. The new employer will have some recruiting cost but not a lot. If I were in one of those professions, given your circumstances, I would leave in a heartbeat.

[typo]

Been there, done that.

I'll probably get boos and hisses, but here goes. It all boils down to money.

Make a list of your pros and cons. What would you lose finacially if you left your current job? What would you gain finacially if you got a new one? If money and benefits are not an issue....leave.

I had all kinds of bosses in my career. I liked what I did, the benefits and salary were great. So when I got a pecker head for a boss, I b*tched when I felt the need, but my bottom line was money and the future. It was tough sometimes, but for me, in the end it was worth it.

I wish you the best of luck.

Although 16 months isn't a long time over the course of a career, it does seem like an awfully long time to be unhappy.

I would analyze the financial impact (are there stock options or something you would be giving up?) and if the impact is minimal I would do what it takes to make my last working months as happy as possible.

I did give up a job, intending to get another one - but I chose to move with DH's job instead and never got around to looking for that next job! (Maybe that is what your DH is afraid of - tee hee!)

I'd go for it. You always get a little "honeymoon" up front to learn the ropes, after which you've only got 12 months to go!

Hard to see how it could get much worse, but it MIGHT get a lot better. You might also make new friends, etc. etc.

No guts, no glory! :)

A question or two.

You say you are going to retire in a year. What keeps you from doing that now? If you need to vest in a retirement plan then you are stuck for the duration. If you don't have a vesting schedule then get out.

I was faced with a similar situation. I got out the second I could take an ER and then found another company in an area I wanted to live. They paid the relocation and all I had to do was complete one year. I am still here but for a lot of different reasons. If money is your motivator to get to FIRE then go with the job with the best $$. Bank it and then get out as soon as you can.

Tough call. :-\

So many factors and probably no clear answers. You could change jobs just before your current boss is moved/fired, so you would have moved for nothing. You could change jobs to a great boss and she could be moved/fired and replaced by a jerk that you then have to live with. You could think you're moving to a good job but find out it's not so great after you get there. . .

It's probably worth looking around. But after you've looked, you probably have to decide based on your own gut feel. :)

I'm somewhat in a similar situation, although a bit more difficult (family-run construction company).

While I'm not FIREd yet, I'm getting ever-so-much-closer with each passing day. If I stayed and put up with the crap my brother, brother-in-law, sister, father shovel at me every day and let them drive me up the only wall they haven't taken me up yet worked with my various family members, I'd probably make it 100% FIREd in 2-3 years. However, saying I dislike my job is like saying the NY Times isn't a big Bush Jr Fan. :) Because I don't have any pensions that I'm going to lose out on or any other benefits I'm missing, I'm planning on making my exit in the next 12 months.

However, as others have suggested, make a complete list of what you would be losing if you left your current job. Then look at the list, see what kind of a job and benefits you could get elsewhere, and ask yourself if work is really that bad after all, to not put up with it for another scant 18 months?

I know FIRE is so close....but if the financial penalty for leaving now is severe enough, do you want to be at another job 3 years from now because you left your present job too early, instead of sipping a margarita while posting on the ER board in just 18 months because you toughed it out?

Back
Top Bottom