Changing Spouse's SS to Spousal Benefit

lem1955

Recycles dryer sheets
I am 67 and 7 months old. My spouse is 77 and 1 month old. She took SS at 64 before we were able to marry. Her benefit would be larger as a spousal benefit than it is under her own record. I am considering applying for my SS next year probably at age 68. How do we go about changing her benefit to spousal? Can you point me in the direction of the info on the .gov site? Should I arrange a meeting to discuss with a SS rep?

Spouse can't get spousal based on your PIA until you file for your benefits (unless there are age/birth year windows that are available to you that don't apply to me).

I would call them and do it over the phone. You should be able to do both on a single phone call. First yours, then hers.

I would call them and do it over the phone. You should be able to do both on a single phone call. First yours, then hers.

Yes, I've found the phone reps are great. You can both be on the same call and get everything set. You may need to make an appointment for them to call you, but if so they certainly will call, and on time too!

Thanks for the assistance. I will call on the phone when the time is right!!

Back
Top Bottom