Chart comparing this decline to 1929, 1973, and 2008

Good information but there is one glaring difference from 1929. This downturn was caused internally from the government and 1929 was not. The Fed will keep propping up the market as it deems fit to. Keep your powder dry folks, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Interesting how folks see different cause and effect in these recession plots.

Good information but there is one glaring difference from 1929. This downturn was caused internally from the government and 1929 was not. The Fed will keep propping up the market as it deems fit to. Keep your powder dry folks, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Yes, every recessionary stock market is different. What do the ones shown here all seem to have in common? They all lasted a long time. At least 18 months and some much longer. And all the ones shown here went down much further then the current one.

Interesting how folks see different cause and effect in these recession plots.

Yeah, I recall plenty of people blaming the government for the Wall Street housing market fiasco. The current recession was preceded by the longest expansion in history and plenty of people were concerned that it was past due for a major correction, whatever the tipping point’s source proved to be.

It’s all just craycray IMO.

When we think back to a specific recession that we experienced, it makes perfect sense now, and is a smoothed-over memory. IOW, we got through it. Even read a book about it...

But those plots had many dramatic movements which were craycray.

Here is an updated chart through 7/10/2020.

I added the November election in the upper left. The dashed vertical line shows where the next year starts for the current 2020 sequence.

image1.jpg

@Lsbcal thanks. What does the chart look like when the market bottoms are aligned?

Here is an updated chart through 7/10/2020.

I added the November election in the upper left. The dashed vertical line shows where the next year starts for the current 2020 sequence.

image1.jpg
Thanks for all the updates, it is interesting. Amazing how fast this one went down and then back up - though I'll be very surprised if this one doesn't surprise us again (and again and again)?

Thanks for all the updates, it is interesting. Amazing how fast this one went down and then back up - though I'll be very surprised if this one doesn't surprise us again (and again and again)?

It is just starting. Wall Street does not reflect US economy.

Back
Top Bottom