Chase Sapphire Reserve annual fee

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I paid my annual fee $450 last November. It went up to $550 for anyone with a later due date I believe. I only used a little this year and all other travels have been cancelled.

Today, I checked and see my annual fee charged again for $450, not $550. I wonder if Chase has gone back to the original fee for everyone since no one is doing much travelling this year?

Yeah, they credited back $100 for me back in March and I think it was supposed to continue for some time. I guess it's still ongoing.

It is not worth the fee right now, but I'm just holding on that I'll make use of it again in the near future. Rather than cancel and then reapply in a year or two.

At least they've made groceries 3x bonus and redeemable at 1.5x value (along with all other dining). Doesn't make up for the lost perks in travel, but it does help at least a little bit.

I paid my annual fee $450 last November. It went up to $550 for anyone with a later due date I believe. I only used a little this year and all other travels have been cancelled.

Today, I checked and see my annual fee charged again for $450, not $550. I wonder if Chase has gone back to the original fee for everyone since no one is doing much travelling this year?

Have you considered asking them to switch to another of their Cards such as the Freedom card? No fee on that card.

Nice! For us, even this year that it would be worth it at 550, but 450 is obviously a nicer price point. :)

Have you considered asking them to switch to another of their Cards such as the Freedom card? No fee on that card.

Thanks. I already have Freedom card. I am still hoping that we can resume travelling sometime next year.

For Reserve card, we get $300 travel credit, and the remaining $150 balance can be offset by the points earned with few thousand dollars of travel, which we can easily do, if the major countries start to open the gates.

We just got our renewal notice for the $450 as well. I was going to shift credit line to another card but the expanded activities counting as travel, point bonus for grocery and the ability to use their "Pay Yourself" allowing you to use your points at a discount to pay outstanding credit charges makes it worthwhile for us. We have a Dec payment coming on a 2022 trip so will have no problem getting our $300 credit.

Y...
It is not worth the fee right now, but I'm just holding on that I'll make use of it again in the near future. Rather than cancel and then reapply in a year or two.

My understanding of the fine print is the wait is 4 years if you want to get the bonus when re-applying for the card.

My understanding of the fine print is the wait is 4 years if you want to get the bonus when re-applying for the card.

Always gotta confirm before applying, but I believe it is 48 months since your last bonus. So not how long since you have gotten rid of the card but how long since you last applied.

Did they reduce any benefits of the card? I have had two cards (Southwest and Marriott) and planned to apply for one when they raised their price (and dump SW and Marriott). I believe the perk they added when the cost was raised was the Uber credit.

Can you share with me how you use the airline and hotel benefits? I’d really like to know more about the card from a user!

My daughter was involved in a competitive activity, so my two cards really helped, but now I’d like to have more options for flights and hotels. And now I’m lifetime platinum with Marriott and unlikely to go up another tier anyway.

Thanks.

Did they reduce any benefits of the card? I have had two cards (Southwest and Marriott) and planned to apply for one when they raised their price (and dump SW and Marriott). I believe the perk they added when the cost was raised was the Uber credit.

Can you share with me how you use the airline and hotel benefits? I’d really like to know more about the card from a user!

My daughter was involved in a competitive activity, so my two cards really helped, but now I’d like to have more options for flights and hotels. And now I’m lifetime platinum with Marriott and unlikely to go up another tier anyway.

Thanks.

I have a small list that I like about this card. This is not a comprehensive list of their member benefits, but just for my own justification.

1. $300 travel credit
2. 3X UR points for travel, restaurant
3. VIP lounge
4. Travel insurance
5. vehicle rental insurance coverage
6. vehicle road side service

I’ll add DashPass to the list. It didn’t expect to use it much when it was originally offered, but with the pandemic I find that I use it often.

My renewal comes up in January. I debate if I should cancel every year, but so far I still get a lot of value from this card. I suspect I’ll keep it for another year.

Edit to add: I was curious to see how much DashPass has saved me. According to their app, $71.89.

Last edited:
I have a small list that I like about this card. This is not a comprehensive list of their member benefits, but just for my own justification.

1. $300 travel credit
2. 3X UR points for travel, restaurant
3. VIP lounge
4. Travel insurance
5. vehicle rental insurance coverage
6. vehicle road side service

big bennie for us has been we can (during virus time) use it at Walmart superstores - at an exchange rate of a point = $0.015, or the same as the travel rate was. Earlier this year Home Improvement stores were included and it tickled me to rebuild our fence using $666 worth of points for $1000 in materials.

I found out from Bogleheads that Chase offers retention to certain customers due to no one is able to travel. I called them today, and was given $250 credit. I am not sure what criteria to qualify. I have 3 credit cards with them, and checking/savings accounts. YMMV.

I found out from Bogleheads that Chase offers retention to certain customers due to no one is able to travel. I called them today, and was given $250 credit. I am not sure what criteria to qualify. I have 3 credit cards with them, and checking/savings accounts. YMMV.

Is your next cost then 550 minus 250=300 or ? When I called a couple weeks ago, they had reduce price to 450 but I got nada when I asked about a credit.

I am thinking of downgrading the Sapphire Reserve to a regular Chase Sapphire card. I wonder if we could upgrade it again, if and when travel becomes feasible.

We had two cruises and a trip canceled out from under us in 2020. Besides the obvious disappointment, it was sad to see the points dissolve from our account.

Is your next cost then 550 minus 250=300 or ? When I called a couple weeks ago, they had reduce price to 450 but I got nada when I asked about a credit.

I was charged $450 early November, so already reduced. Now with $250 credit, I guess my effective annual fee for this cycle is $200.

Does this mean I can still book trips and get another $300 credit? I am not sure.

I am thinking of downgrading the Sapphire Reserve to a regular Chase Sapphire card. I wonder if we could upgrade it again, if and when travel becomes feasible.

We had two cruises and a trip canceled out from under us in 2020. Besides the obvious disappointment, it was sad to see the points dissolve from our account.

Try to give them a call and see if you can get the $250 credit.

Try to give them a call and see if you can get the $250 credit.

My CSR fee hit on the first day of Dec ($450); I've had had the card since Nov. 2016. I called yesterday to ask about a retention bonus and was told nothing was available. Crickets.

Payment is due Jan 1, so I'll call again in late December.

I'm sitting on 667k UR points (stockpiled for travel in 2020-2024) so I've got to keep a UR card (Sapphire) to keep the points. I could downgrade to CSP but I'd rather apply for a new CSP in August 2021 and get another 60K bonus (4 years after last CSP bonus). So ... I'll probably pay the $450, get the $300 in travel, and decide after I have the CSP in hand whether to continue the CSR or switch to Amex for my "premium" card.

My CSR fee hit on the first day of Dec ($450); I've had had the card since Nov. 2016. I called yesterday to ask about a retention bonus and was told nothing was available. Crickets.

I'm sitting on 667k UR points (stockpiled for travel in 2020-2024) so I've got to keep a UR card (Sapphire) to keep the points. I could downgrade to CSP but I'd rather apply for a new CSP in August 2021 and get another 60K bonus (4 years after last CSP bonus). So ... I'll probably pay the $450, get the $300 in travel, and decide after I have the CSP in hand whether to continue the CSR or switch to Amex for my "premium" card.

You know you can use the $300 credit on groceries and also you can get the 1.5 cents back to yourself on groceries and eating out until April. The return is the same as you would get booking travel through their site normally. Gives a little flexibility.

You could get a no fee Chase reward CC, then transfer the points to it.
There they can sit safely while you cancel out the CSR card.

When you get a new CSR or CSP CC , you can transfer the points back, along with whatever the Chase reward card earned.

Gal just got word that her CSR $300 travel credit can be used for gas and groceries up until July 2021 (?ish). Given we aren't planning to fly anytime soon this is welcome news on the CSR.

Back
Top Bottom