Cheapwad Finds--Opposite of Blow That Dough!

Kroger has pineapple on sale this week for 99 cents, limit 5. I bought all five and cut them into chunks and froze them. We use pineapple in our smoothies. We used to get frozen bags of pineapple at Costco but they have been out since COVID. We used to spend close to $10 per bag. The five pineapples created two bags larger than we used to buy at Costco. $20 versus $5 is a pretty good savings.

They're $1.29 at the Krogers around us. Still a good deal. May have to pick one up to use on some shish kabobs. Or maybe a swineapple. Tried this once. It was good but kind of a lot of work getting the pineapple hollowed out without cutting through the bottom. I used strips of pork tenderloin for the filling.

https://tipbuzz.com/swineapple/

I added up all my little senior discounts, Facebook specials, reward points, cash back, etc. and for November so far it is $522. The biggest savings was from shopping at Grocery Outlet. They have the savings over local grocery store prices on the receipt and this month so far that was $140, with the regular savings plus a military discount. The second was marked down, unsold play tickets from a Facebook special that were $72 off the regular price for two tickets. The third was a Groupon special for general admission and a special exhibit ticket for a local art museum for $44 off for two with deal stacking.

I don't put much faith in the store savings numbers, unless they are comparing their normal price. Because I might not buy the thing at the highest price store in town.

My Grocery score yesterday was:

• 2 dozen eggs for only $1.99 each
  • 9 lbs of sweet potatoes at $0.19/lb
  • 2 gallons of milk at $2.50 per gallon
  • 4 lbs of boneless skinless (flavorless) chicken breasts at $0.99/lb

My wife wins our family's award for money saving move this year.

We bought a used Mazda and got a good deal - at least relative to current pricing.

Part of the good price was that someone had used the wrong cleaner on the info display in the car, so it had a damaged surface and was gray in some parts.

A new unit would have been $1200.

Did a bit of online research and the cause of the visual issue is that the cleaner had damaged the antiglare coating.

She used a bleach wipe to finish removing the entire coating which left a pristine screen that would on its own have been acceptable but did glare quite a bit in sunlight.

For $12 she bought an anti-glare sticker off of Amazon.

Its nearly perfect now!

Net savings: 99% :D

DWs have many uses.:LOL: I never buy any clothes other than shoes and tidy whities. DW knows my size and when she can't stand my old clothes any longer, she heads to the resale shops and brings back a new "wardrobe" for me - rarely spending more than $100. She is very tolerant and so only gives up on me after 4 or 5 years before replacing my religious (holey) clothes. What I DO notice is that as my clothes age, my closet gets leaner and leaner. If I ask where my favorite T shirt got to, she'll suggest that the washing machine got angry with it one day. DWs are a real asset though YMMV.

Those are great prices. Not available anywhere in my area.

It was jewel osco , the sweet potato price was due to their "jewel4u" online/app thing.
Their milk is always 2 for $5 if you buy 2 Jewel branded milk.

Personally I find it very annoying to have to click to activate a coupon, so I make sure to basically only buy the great specials at their store, and regular shopping is at a store that does not require an app. :LOL:

I don't know if prices like that have EVER existed in the Islands. High grocery prices are something you get used to here - until you walk into an Aldis in the Midwest. Even then, those are stunning prices.

Kroger had the sweet potatoes for .19 too. Got a bunch and DW made a big batch of sweet potato soup and froze it.

I don't put much faith in the store savings numbers, unless they are comparing their normal price. Because I might not buy the thing at the highest price store in town.

This is the latest savings chart from checkbook.org here - Which Grocery Stores Offer the Best Prices and Quality? - Bay Area Consumers' Checkbook

The GO savings are off the big chain store regular prices and are pretty accurate for our area. If I only shopped at stores like Lucky's or Safeway my grocery bill would be double what it is now. We save more than the survey results because we don't have a specific list each week and shop opportunistically, loading up on the bargains.

We buy most of mostly organic produce, eggs and and meat, plus wild caught fish, so our grocery expenses get really high if I don't watch prices. I didn't bother one month recently and the grocery cost for the month went to $900. So this month I'm back to shopping at GO or loss leaders and personal coupons at Safeway.

Last edited:
Found another great discount on expensive fat-marbled beef. Half off due to expiration date coming up. This might be habit-forming !

My favorite soda can sell for as high as $2.50 a 2l bottle but occasionally bottles are on sale for 3 for $5 or sometimes even 4 for $5 but this week are 5 for $5!!!!!!!!! :dance: Wooohoooo!!!

I am ashamed to say how many I bought...in multiples of 5, but it was a LOT. :fingerwag: And I may not be able to resist going back yet again.

My favorite soda can sell for as high as $2.50 a 2l bottle but occasionally bottles are on sale for 3 for $5 or sometimes even 4 for $5 but this week are 5 for $5!!!!!!!!! :dance: Wooohoooo!!!

I am ashamed to say how many I bought...in multiples of 5, but it was a LOT. :fingerwag: And I may not be able to resist going back yet again.

When I did a lot of BBQ’ing, I would buy a lot of charcoal when it would go on sale. It was a little embarrassing to check out with that much charcoal, but when the price is good and it’s something you’ll use, you back up the truck! Good going.

I've mentioned before that my "drug" of choice is Diet Pepsi. Sales often approach the prices above for 2 l bottles. The problem I have is that DP in plastic tastes bad to me. I don't know why, but I only like DP in aluminum cans.
Since DP prices have risen so rapidly, I've cut my usage in half. It's better for me and better for our finances. YMMV

I've mentioned before that my "drug" of choice is Diet Pepsi. Sales often approach the prices above for 2 l bottles. The problem I have is that DP in plastic tastes bad to me. I don't know why, but I only like DP in aluminum cans.

Since DP prices have risen so rapidly, I've cut my usage in half. It's better for me and better for our finances. YMMV
DDs love Diet Coke so I bought a case for this weekend. It's almost doubled in price since last Thanksgiving. I'm getting part of my caffeine fix nowadays from homemade ice tea.

Sent from my LM-Q850 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

for you canned beverage drinkers -

a fun informative video

I've mentioned before that my "drug" of choice is Diet Pepsi.

DDs love Diet Coke so I bought a case for this weekend. It's almost doubled in price since last Thanksgiving. I'm getting part of my caffeine fix nowadays from homemade ice tea.

I quit Diet Coke, coffee, and everything else with caffeine in it, about 8 months ago. Thought it would be a healthy thing to try, for the first time ever.

So now, I nap a lot more than I used to because I'm not even a little bit wired on caffeine. No caffeine withdrawal headaches, though, so it could be worse. Diet Coke always seemed to help with sinus/allergy issues that everyone around here has so I kind of miss my Diet Coke for that reason.

An egg for $1.99 does not seem good to me .... am I missing something ?

When I did a lot of BBQ’ing, I would buy a lot of charcoal when it would go on sale. It was a little embarrassing to check out with that much charcoal, but when the price is good and it’s something you’ll use, you back up the truck! Good going.

I bet your return on the investment (in money saved) beat a lot of your stocks, bonds, CDs and bonds this year. :D:D

Yes, load up the shopping cart for $1 per 2 liter. I like diet Coke, and around here the $1 price is long gone. About the best sale lately is approx $1.40-1.50 per 2 liter. Definitely inflation in soda prices.

... but it is not actually what is "written" !! (I'm just playing with you ..... but it's good to proof read and think about what you write ...............):cool:

Ouch.... nabbed by the language police!

Funny as people did interpret it differently.

It was two dozen eggs that I bought, at $1.99 per dozen.

... but it is not actually what is "written" !! (I'm just playing with you ..... but it's good to proof read and think about what you write ...............):cool:

Ah... I get it... $1.99 for each egg would be a bit much.

FWIW I just ordered a couple of pairs of glasses from Zenni. They are running a promo until 11/29: 25% Off ORDERS $80+ 30% Off ORDERS $125+

I saved $45 by stumbling into this offer today.

Back
Top Bottom