Cheapwad Finds--Opposite of Blow That Dough!

Yeah, he gets a $100 a book! Publish or perish.

It was a text conversation with my son. I said "$600?? Did you mean $60?" He said "Nope. $600 to buy, and $300 to rent. No used copies because it was published in 2021" I told him that econ theory hasn't changed much in the last 5 years (I'm a retired CFP) and that the previous edition would probably work, but I was pretty happy with this year's edition at $32! I don't know about the Prof, but there are 4 authors, so it could be!

It was a text conversation with my son. I said "$600?? Did you mean $60?" He said "Nope. $600 to buy, and $300 to rent. No used copies because it was published in 2021" I told him that econ theory hasn't changed much in the last 5 years (I'm a retired CFP) and that the previous edition would probably work, but I was pretty happy with this year's edition at $32! I don't know about the Prof, but there are 4 authors, so it could be!

I created a lab course for the university I w*rkd for (part time.) My prof and I created the lectures for the course. We seriously thought about writing a book that students would have to buy for future courses. We decided against it because we both decided we had better things to do and that we couldn't live with ourselves charging what the book would need to cost just to cover our time to write it. So, we just provided hand-outs that didn't have to be perfect in format or go through university/publisher review and editing.

Much better. Good on you. :)
Yes. Last semester he had a calculus prof who requested an older edition of a textbook and we were so grateful. We were able to buy it for $10. Current editions were over $200. College is expensive. Thank you for not making it more burdensome for your students!

I'm pushing the envelope in reusing vacum cleaner bags. I used to dump all the dirt out of the bag and reuse, since the in hole was convenient to dump out of. But with the current vac, the in hole won't allow any dirt to be dumped out. I went on youtube and found that people actually cut the bag open, in this case, dump dirt out, the reseal the cut with tape, staples and/or binder clips! Who knew? I plan to do this when the current bag fills up. Going to be fun.

I'm pushing the envelope in reusing vacum cleaner bags. I used to dump all the dirt out of the bag and reuse, since the in hole was convenient to dump out of. But with the current vac, the in hole won't allow any dirt to be dumped out. I went on youtube and found that people actually cut the bag open, in this case, dump dirt out, the reseal the cut with tape, staples and/or binder clips! Who knew? I plan to do this when the current bag fills up. Going to be fun.

If I ever get to the point I feel it necessary to do something like this I'm going to seriously consider asking DW to go back to work.

Vacuum cleaners still have bags??

One thing I thoroughly enjoy is not dealing with bags anymore. Well worth it.

If I ever get to the point I feel it necessary to do something like this I'm going to seriously consider asking DW to go back to work.
I keep asking DW to go back to work just for the hell of it but she keeps refusing. She keeps using that lame excuse that she enjoys retirement. [emoji6]

I don't know how you would get it sealed tightly enough that some dust doesn't come through and go all over the holding area?

Got a bag of "free" coffee from Starbucks!
With so many in our family liking coffee, we purchased plenty of bags and gift cards for the holidays and fall/winter birthdays to earn enough stars.

Oh! You have to CHANGE those bags. No wonder the vacuum doesn't seem to w*rk.

Thankfully we here on the Forum chose to skimp on dryer sheets instead of vacuum cleaner bags. "Recycles Vacuum Cleaner Bags" just doesn't have the same "ring" to it though YMMV.

Had a grad school professor who changed a few paragraphs in his textbook so he could sell a new edition.

Made the old ones worthless for resale, so we all waited until he was on the phone in his office and then piled all the old ones in front of his door, reaching nearly to the ceiling.

Contrast the above with my college roommate's professor father who wrote the standard undergrad textbook in his field which went unchanged for over a decade.

Even though one of my kids attended a military service academy only the core requirement textbooks were issued for free.

I still had to pay for his textbooks for the non-core classes...mostly rented.

I get $1.55 off per gallon using Kroger Fuel points and Kroger credit card (up to 35 gallons per fill up).

DETAILS: Kroger frequently has a digital coupon to get 4X points most Fridays (spend $250 & get 1000 points). Save $1 per gallon using 1000 points. Kroger Credit card now adds $0.55 per gallon for one year (no limit, but must use at least 100 fuel points). Also, I have 5 - 5 gallon gas cans I put in the trunk to make sure I get the full 35 gallons (I save $7.75 per 5 gallon container, so, is worth the effort for me to "haul gas"...store in shed, not garage). BTW: I upgraded the 5 gallon cans with air vent caps & longer pour spouts that don't leak (Amazon purchase).

I get $1.55 off per gallon using Kroger Fuel points and Kroger credit card (up to 35 gallons per fill up).

DETAILS: Kroger frequently has a digital coupon to get 4X points most Fridays (spend $250 & get 1000 points). Save $1 per gallon using 1000 points. Kroger Credit card now adds $0.55 per gallon for one year (no limit, but must use at least 100 fuel points). Also, I have 5 - 5 gallon gas cans I put in the trunk to make sure I get the full 35 gallons (I save $7.75 per 5 gallon container, so, is worth the effort for me to "haul gas"...store in shed, not garage). BTW: I upgraded the 5 gallon cans with air vent caps & longer pour spouts that don't leak (Amazon purchase).

Here in TN we can use as many points per fill up as we have. I have a friend who is in Ga and doing a remodel. He can only do $1 per fill up. He has given me gas points for the last 3 months and I am filling 35 gallons each time for like 6 to 9 cents a gallon.

In Ohio, Kroger has $1/gal discount and 35 gal fillup limit also. I always max out the 35 gal limit and as much price discount as I can get. Can burn a decent amount of gas mowing 2.5 acres.

The problem we had using K-points for gas was that K-gas started at 10 cents/gallon more than most other local stations (and 45 cents more than Sams.) Add to that issue, K-food prices are higher than discount grocery stores such as Aldi, Sams, Walmart, Costco, etc. Saving a few dollars on K-gas never made up for the cost of food. Obviously, YMMV.

The problem we had using K-points for gas was that K-gas started at 10 cents/gallon more than most other local stations (and 45 cents more than Sams.) Add to that issue, K-food prices are higher than discount grocery stores such as Aldi, Sams, Walmart, Costco, etc. Saving a few dollars on K-gas never made up for the cost of food. Obviously, YMMV.

I've noticed and complained (to myself) about the same thing. We can easily get $1 off by buying a $250 Amazon card but when you go to use it, if Costco is 40 cents cheaper, it really takes away for the deal you think you're getting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom