Chemical de-glossers before painting.

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have a number of closet doors that were painted in a high gloss enamel latex paint. they need new paint. Normally, I sand them, but a neighbor has told me about using chemical de-glossers to remove the sheen. After that, one coat of primer and the the paint.

I as because I am using a product called Liquid Sandpaper. I used it on part of the painted area and left another part alone. I can't tell the difference between them. They both look rather glossy to me.

I would appreciate advice from those who have used these de-glossers. Did they work well? Any problems show up after a few years?

Last edited:
I tried liquid sandpaper as well, with similar results to above. Back to real sandpaper!

I use it sometimes. It works OK for me. It “deglosses” the surface you are going to paint. It has no effect on the gloss of the newly painted surface. That is determined by the paint you’re applying.

Have fun!
Murf

Based upon the advice of a neighbor, I tried applying the deglosser with a fine sponge sanding pad. That's a big help in removing the gloss, but I end up doing some sanding which is what I was trying to avoid. The deglosser means I don't have to rub quite as much and quite as hard. But, I was hoping to to avoid having to sand at all.

I'm not seeing much of an advantage. Maybe I am doing it wrong?

I’m not sure what your expecting it to do or what it’s not doing for you. Maybe post some pics?

Have you tried wiping a piece down with it and then painting it?
All it’s intended to do is provide some “tooth” for the paint to adhere to.

I think I’d try a test piece & see how the new paint adhered.

Good luck!
Murf

I’m not sure what your expecting it to do or what it’s not doing for you. Maybe post some pics?

Have you tried wiping a piece down with it and then painting it?
All it’s intended to do is provide some “tooth” for the paint to adhere to.

I think I’d try a test piece & see how the new paint adhered.

Good luck!
Murf

The impression I get from the write-ups is that it turns a glossy painted surface into a flat paint surface. Somehow it dulls the enamal surface and turns it flat. But, I don't see much loss of gloss unless I use the sandpaper sponge to apply it. Well, if I have to do that, why not just rub the surface with sandpaper? That's why I am asking if others have had experience with using deglossers on high-gloss painted surfaces before painting.

Are you prepping the existing surface for paint or are you trying to take the sheen off the painted surface you already have? I guess I’m a little confused.

If your using it to prep for paint, I will suggest following the instructions, then painting the prepped surface and see how it goes.

If you have ruff spots, chips, etc. in the original finish, it will not really do anything for that. It’s just used to help the new paint bond to the surface.

Good luck with your project!
Murf

I'd do a light sanding & use a shellac (or bonding) based primer. But if it has been painted multiple times I would consider updating with some interior doors that are appx $50-60 ea and primed.

Many paint layers and you are victim of whoever painted it prior and many times people paint latex on top of oil & that's never a problem you want.

So is it a huge no-no to just paint over a glossy surface? I thought there were spray primers you could use for that application?

Asking because I have some cabinet doors I would like to paint to match some other cabinets and now I’m wondering if I’m setting myself up for failure.

So is it a huge no-no to just paint over a glossy surface? I thought there were spray primers you could use for that application?

Asking because I have some cabinet doors I would like to paint to match some other cabinets and now I’m wondering if I’m setting myself up for failure.

I wouldn’t recommend it. I’d at least wipe them down with TSP to clean anything off the surface. You can prime if you want. If the surface is nice & smooth I use liquid sandpaper / deglosser then paint.
Generally, you will have trouble getting the new paint to adhere to a smooth / slick surface. Sanding is also a good option.

Good luck!
Murf

I repainted all but one of myinterior doors during covid. Pulled them. fill and sand any holes. Kilz. Paint with Flotrol added with a small foam roller intended for cabinets. Nice and bright. Rehang with new hinges and doorknobs. Makes a world of difference

Woukd only consider liq sandpaper if its built in and the paint trial didn't stick. Would degrease and let dry. Then foam roll

Had a pro come paint my contractor grade bathroom vanities and wood builtins. She just primed and painted. That's what she does for a living. No weird prep. Look great. Holding up fine

Thanks for all the advice.

I finally found out how to use the deglosser properly. I apply it with a clean brush, let it sit for 3-5 minutes to soften up the paint coating, and then give is a light scrub with one of those cheap, nylon scouring pads used for washing dirty pots and pans that you don't want to scratch. One round of that treatment, and the gloss is essentially history. Now I will prime and paint.

+1 on the foam roller for a nice smooth surface.

Years ago, I did try using a high quality primer (Kilz, I think) directly on gloss and then painting over it. But, after a few years the paint started chipping and peeling. Thus my desire to degloss first.

Last edited:
When all else fails, read the directions. [emoji41]

I’m glad to hear it’s working for you! Although, you shouldn’t really need to prime after the deglosser but I guess it can’t hurt.

Murf

Last edited:
When all else fails, read the directions. [emoji41]

I’m glad to hear it’s working for you! Although, you shouldn’t really need to prime after the deglosser but I guess it can’t hurt.

Murf

In OP's defense, the directions don't mention waiting 3-5 minutes, nor the use of a nylon 'greenie', just a coarse lint free cloth.

QKLS285 / J9626
DIRECTIONS FOR USE: 1. Wear chemical splash goggles. Shake well. Use full strength to saturate a coarse, lint-free
cloth. Apply pressure and rub surface in a circular motion. Fold and re-saturate cloth frequently to prevent re-depositing
of soils. Change cloth as needed. Kitchens and areas with heavy grease or wax build-up may require cleaning with TSP
or a TSP substitute. 2. Apply new coating anytime after surface is dry.

https://images.thdstatic.com/catalog/pdfImages/83/83afb015-928b-4363-8455-5d9cb89d240e.pdf

-ERD50

Yes they are very sparse! I’ve never used that brand. Sorry for the sarcasm. Glad you got it going your way now!

Murf

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom