Cheney Response on the War.

. . .But the "framing" here is not that complicated: . . . . do you support the . . . withdrawal of the American troops in Iraq.

I would stipulate that the proposed question is likely not phrased correctly. Virtually everybody in the US favors withdrawal of US troops from Iraq. We differ in terms of when we believe such a withdrawal should occur:
- - on a calendar-driven timetable or
- - when it appears prudent based on the situation in Iraq

Similarly, if the question is "Do you oppose the war in Iraq?" I would have to know what the proposed alternative is. Every thinking person opposes war in the abstract, but in the real world it is often preferable to the alternative.

IEvery thinking person opposes war in the abstract, but in the real world it is often preferable to the alternative.

If Iraq was not attacked by the US - what was the terrible thing that would have happened to the US - the worse alternative? it wasn't like the cold war when russia had weapons that were pointing at us.

I guess that was where the fear campaign came in - with colin powell going to the UN with those vials of powdered sugar and diagrams of mobile weapons trucks?

The danger is that when we are so ready to use War - versus pursue alternatives - when we were wrong (as we were with Iraq) human lives and billions in infrastructure was/is lost (both bombed in Iraq and dilapidated in the US cuz we have no more money).

ChrisC;632939. said:
But the "framing" here is not that complicated: do you support the withdrawal of the Union troops from the South (which was the original point you made about popular opinion being contrary to Lincoln continuing the War) or the withdrawal of the American troops in Iraq, that's a simple question where I believe the "evidence" would suggest that for Lincoln he had a majority of the nation behind him to continue the War whereas for Bush he does not appear to have a majority of the population to continue the War.

Very nicely explained, but I disagree with you about the evidence.
I doubt there is conclusive evidence either way, but to me the election 1862 suggested the Peace Democrats i.e. Copperheads were near a majority in 1862 and 1863. Especially when you couple that with Lincoln being such an unpopular President until after his death.

Have you read Team of Rivals, by Doris Goodwin? It is all about Lincoln as political genius. I have to confess I started reading but stopped after 100 odd pages into the 800 page book, it is supposed to be the best description of the politics of the civil war. One of these days I'll finish it, if you've read it I'd be interested in your opinion..

The Peace Democrats platform of 1864 was strongly in favor of immediate negotiations with the South. "The Democrats, were energized by what they saw as the morass of a stagnant Union war effort: death, debt, and destruction with no end in sight" None other than the editor of the NY Times Horace Greeley wrote an open letter to Lincoln urge peace negotiations with the South.
Given the parallels am I really stretching that much in my comparison?
Lincoln was ruthless about shutting down the the worst of the Copperhead newspaper and even in some case tossing the editors and leaders in prison.. (And people think the Patriot Act is bad...)
In 1864, McClellan got 45% of the vote despite a lousy record as a general, a string of recent Union victories, and running against a political genius and gifted orator by the name of Abe Lincoln.

So you can read this as Northerner's were strongly supportive of staying the course. Or you can interpret the results as do, which is if Grant, and Sherman didn't come along and starting winning, Lincoln was toast in 1864, cause the average American didn't believe that abstract causes like the Union, and abolishing slavery were worth the butcher bill.

I'm not suggesting that public opinion should always dictate foreign policy; however, I do believe that in matters of War, if public opinion is not followed, then there should be strong, compelling reasons to continue a War, especially a War waged initially as a so-called "preemptive war." Whether you support the troops or approve of current military tactics or strategy has, in my mind, nothing to do with the basic question of whether we should continue this War. So, if you frame the issues as support for the troops or the surge, I do think this is irrelevant to the polling issue of whether the War should be continued, an issue the President should periodically question in light of public opinion on that score.

I agree with you. I think we'd agree that with the benefit hindsight preserving the Union and abolishing the hideous evil of slavery was worth 620,000 dead out of 32 million Americans. Clearly Lincoln saw a compelling case to continue the war and his perseverance is now deified. However, as far as public opinion goes at a best case Northern's were fairly evenly divided about the wisdom of continuing the war and if you included Southerns the country vehemently opposed Lincoln. Now the reasons for continuing the war in Iraq don't raise to that of the Civil War, but thankfully neither do the costs. Frankly, I don't think the average Americans are particualarly good at balancing long range gain vs short term pain. American Presidents are typically wiser.

In Dick Cheney's case the response SO seems to be appropriate because it is coming from a man that when he had a chance to go serve and fight in the Vietnam War - he wined for and got mulitiple deferrments.

Just like Old George W - Cheney is quick to send our sons and daughters to go fight, to die and to be wounded but when the opportunity presented itself neither one of this so called men stepped up to the plate.

With that being said here is the GREAT Kenny Rogers and the First Edition

YouTube - Kenny Rogers and the First Edition - Ruby

GOD BLESS US ALL

Lets be fair, there was no substaintive difference between the Clinton and Bush 43 adminstration about the threats Saddam posed.

George Tenet was first appointed to the head CIA by President Clinton, not Bush.

Bush could have dumped Tenet... not much different keeping him than appointing him.

Look. All of the comparisons with Dems in the world does not change one fact. Bush pushed hard to invade and he was wrong. Even Colin Powell admits it. Powell views it as a blot on his career (as stated in an interview).

Bush was overzealous and made a bad decision. It has already come out that he would not listen to people that had points of view that did not conform to his desire to invade.

So... It is fair. He is getting the credit he deserves - and it is very negative.

Have you read Team of Rivals, by Doris Goodwin? It is all about Lincoln as political genius. I have to confess I started reading but stopped after 100 odd pages into the 800 page book, it is supposed to be the best description of the politics of the civil war. One of these days I'll finish it, if you've read it I'd be interested in your opinion..

No, I haven't read Goodwin's book on this score. I'll add it to my long list of Civil War/Reconstruction books that I plan to read in retirement. You raise some good points about public opinion regarding the Civil War; and your interpretation is not a far stretch; after all, the invasion by Lee into Pennsylvania in 1863 might have been premised on the idea that bringing the War on "Northern soil," if coupled with a Confederate battlefield victory, might have turned most public opinion against Lincoln and continuation of the War effort.

Thanks for the discussion.

Bush could have dumped Tenet... not much different keeping him than appointing him.

Look. All of the comparisons with Dems in the world does not change one fact. Bush pushed hard to invade and he was wrong. Even Colin Powell admits it. Powell views it as a blot on his career (as stated in an interview).

Bush was overzealous and made a bad decision. It has already come out that he would not listen to people that had points of view that did not conform to his desire to invade.

So... It is fair. He is getting the credit he deserves - and it is very negative.

No doubt about it, you are a world class "armchair quarterback".

I'm sure that your employer, who is providing you with a handsome income would be thrilled to know that you spend a helluva lot of their time posting on an internet board in an effort to solve the worlds problems.

But my guess is that they would be even happier for you to spend a little more time solving the problelms that you can truly make a difference with from their point of view.

Get to work! (You'll feel better about yourself, and who knows, you may be in a postion to make a real difference).

I'm sure that your employer, who is providing you with a handsome income would be thrilled to know that you spend a helluva lot of their time posting on an internet board in an effort to solve the worlds problems.

But my guess is that they would be even happier for you to spend a little more time solving the problelms that you can truly make a difference with from their point of view.

Get to work! (You'll feel better about yourself, and who knows, you may be in a postion to make a real difference).

ROTFLMAO...........:D:D:D

Did someone post that Saddam was only an *******? Geez gas and torture you own people only gets you an ******* label. Getting soft. :D

Excellent interview. A good man, and also a realistic one.

Ha

Did someone post that Saddam was only an *******? Geez gas and torture you own people only gets you an ******* label. Getting soft. :D

I was thinking the same thing........ While my personal feelings disagree with GWB ref the Iraq war, I do remember the situation with Sadamn, his booting out the weapons inspectors, his brutal policies and the mass deaths that resulted, his boasting of WMD, etc., as more than him being an a**hole. I think he's being inappropriately trivialized here.

My own feelings are that had the war been avoided, something else very significant would have had to be done with Sadamn before long.

Again, I'm not a supporter of the war. But I'm not one who writes off Sadamn as just an a**hole we could just forget about either.

I was thinking the same thing........ While my personal feelings disagree with GWB ref the Iraq war, I do remember the situation with Sadamn, his booting out the weapons inspectors, his brutal policies and the mass deaths that resulted, his boasting of WMD, etc., as more than him being an a**hole. I think he's being inappropriately trivialized here.

My own feelings are that had the war been avoided, something else very significant would have had to be done with Sadamn before long.

Again, I'm not a supporter of the war. But I'm not one who writes off Sadamn as just an a**hole we could just forget about either.

People remember what they want I suppose.

I am sorry Colin Powell didn't run for President, a real centrist, with a great resume, and an impressive speaker.

I am sorry Colin Powell didn't run for President, a real centrist, with a great resume, and an impressive speaker.

Maybe if Mr. Obama wins the Democratic nomination he will pick Mr. Powell to run as his Vice President.

The possible selection of Mr. Powell would offset any perceived advantage
that Mr. McCain would have on military and foreign policies.

GOD BLESS US ALL:angel:

Maybe if Mr. Obama wins the Democratic nomination he will pick Mr. Powell to run as his Vice President.

The possible selection of Mr. Powell would offset any perceived advantage
that Mr. McCain would have on military and foreign policies.

GOD BLESS US ALL:angel:

That would be an inspired choice, but Colin is a Republican and I am not he would take it. More importantly I don't think his wife would feel much safer if he was the first black VP vs the first Black president.

No, I haven't read Goodwin's book on this score. I'll add it to my long list of Civil War/Reconstruction books that I plan to read in retirement. You raise some good points about public opinion regarding the Civil War; and your interpretation is not a far stretch; after all, the invasion by Lee into Pennsylvania in 1863 might have been premised on the idea that bringing the War on "Northern soil," if coupled with a Confederate battlefield victory, might have turned most public opinion against Lincoln and continuation of the War effort.

Thanks for the discussion.

I thank both you and clifp for your discussion on this subject. I have found it very interesting to read.

i think he gets the credit he deserves also.

the more irritating sub issue
to me, is all this talk about how GWB or Cheney or whomever
somehow masterfully hoodwinked the good american public into going along
with all of this. Sorry, but Everyone tooling around w/ their american flags
waving from their cars at the time didn't give me that impression at all.
i think we should all take a collective look in the mirror when it comes
to all the criticism going on..

Your argument is so compelling. Geez, after all of the raucous debate you step forward as a tower of intellect and have helped me to see so clearly the error in my opinions. :rolleyes:

But I have to tell you. You need to work on your debating style. Nothing like a load of insults layered on top of derogatory assumptions to convince someone they are wrong.

It is election season you know. You and I do not have to agree. That is the great thing about the US. But we can both express our view in the voting booth.

Hey... I am a former Marine also. Semper Fi. I will leave off the spew of profanity (Marine Corps style) for the sake of the other people on the board ... :D

One point of clarification - I do not do this posting at work. Matter of fact, at work... I work, pretty hard I might add.

Unfortunately for all. That war was a mistake. There have been a number of insiders that have gone public about the GWB rush to war.

Powell admits (in hind sight) there was not justification for the US to go into Iraq. They put the decision off on faulty intel. The intel was faulty intel... I think they got trapped into a collective group think trap... Intel is often fuzzy, people try to interpolate and extrapolate meaning. When the so called "proof" is not fairly obvious and they are trying to interpret it... which way does one lean when considering invading a country that is not an immediate threat. It seems to me one should have enough proof to be correct. It is obvious the information was wrong.

Here is another insider. Bush Sought ‘Way’ To Invade Iraq?, O'Neill Tells '60 Minutes' Iraq Was 'Topic A' 8 Months Before 9-11 - CBS News

These are credible people. Do you really think it is all a big lie?

If you step back and look... it is fairly obvious.

Some would way that Saddam was a monster and should have been removed anyway. I cannot argue that point... he was. I cannot argue with the logic that it would be good to remove him from power. It seems logical, it appears moral. But the world has many others just like him. Are you ready to invade those countries?

About all we did was topple one side and create a civil war where the violent struggle for power will continue for years. It will take decades to establish a real democracy. If we leave early, there will likely only be sham elections to keep the group in control in power.

Here is the test. It is not perfect logic (rhetoric :D), but it attempts to make the point.
  • Are you willing to pay for it in money. For example:
    • Would you write a $100k check out of your assets to fund an invasion of Iraq (not talking taxes... out of your bank account). I would not.
    • Would you write a $100k check out of your assets to fund the protection of the US if an army of 200k troops were headed for the US... You bet I would. Because all would be lost if we were conquered.
  • Are you willing to pay for it with blood... Not someone else, but you! Or perhaps your son or daughters life or well being... maimed for life. Or... Would you actively encourage your child to go give their life for this cause?
This puts a different slant on it if you think about it on personal terms. How many tyrants are we prepared to remove from power?

Last edited:
Well, no actually we voted Gore into office and then a "fast one" was pulled.

Bush's war is to make him, Cheney, and their rich friends richer. It has nothing to do with anything they have claimed. They have been proven to be bold-faced liars and they aren't even pretending any longer.

5 Stars to you Zoey, I feel the same way...but too many don't believe it and think Florida which is where it happend... was all up and up...that is also where they used to like to sell you some swamp land:confused::rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom