Chernivtsi

Nemo2

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone been to Chernivtsi, Ukraine?

With constant reminders that the lifespan clock is ticking faster and faster, DW & I figure that, although we still want to do The Little Yellow Train in the Pyrenees, we should go further afield while we still can, and leave tamer places such as Spain & France for our dotage, (which some say I've already reached).

Chernivtsi, if we go, wouldn't be next Spring which is dedicated to Romania.....but next Fall or or....¿Quién sabe?

Go.

The real question is why not? Kiev is on our list.

Nope. Farther East & North in Ukraine but, not Chernivtsi.

What’s the attraction for you?

When we were in Bulgaria DW joined this blog:

https://www.mywanderlust.pl/ which focuses on Eastern Europe....Kami and other posters were very helpful with questions we had, and recently someone mentioned Chernivtsi......our reaction was "Hey, why not?"

Last edited:
Go.

The real question is why not? Kiev is on our list.

We'd already put it on the bucket list, but thought we might get a little more info from ERF members who had possibly been there.......(it wasn't the only place we thought of in the area....but it's a start. ;) )

Last edited:
I have not been to Chernivtsi, but I have been to Kyiv and I really enjoyed that city. One of my favorite things about it was the fact that a dollar goes roughly 3 times as far there as it does elsewhere in Europe. Metro tokens are 5 cents! Boryspil airport is modern and secure (they have curbside bag screening.) I highly recommend Kyiv. Lots of history there, but of course there is not a lot of signage in English. Some very basic knowledge of Russian and the Cyrillic alphabet will come in handy. Unfortunately, mine has all but evaporated :(

Traveling outside Kyiv by car can be difficult because the roads are in very bad shape. I assume that you can fly into Chernivtsi or Lviv, in which case I would say to go for it. I am currently wondering where else I can go this summer where my dollar goes as far and yet is as safe and easy for a tourist to get around in as Kyiv.

Poland is very cheap and beautiful! Krakow is one of my favorite cities.

Poland is very cheap and beautiful! Krakow is one of my favorite cities.

Thanks for the tip. I have flown through Warsaw on LOT twice (I enjoy their premium economy service) so I will have to put Poland and Krakow on the list for research.

NoiseBoy: Thanks for the endorsement; Bulgaria, which we loved, had many street signs in both alphabets......and we sometimes found it prudent to take street sign pics of places, (that we could show people when we looked for directions), we wanted to get back to, (where we were staying not least amongst them), and it was also cheap and enjoyable there.

Next Spring is taken with Romania......but next Fall perhaps.....(we're booked on a westbound transatlantic Barcelona-Miami in October, so if we can get there prior to that.....)

Added...can also second Krakow....great place.

Back
Top Bottom