Cholesterol and diet - You there haha?

As opposed to the pharmaceutical companies? I think the people pushing the anti-statin viewpoint have a lot less to gain than the ones pushing the pro-statin viewpoint.

Other than that, I'll accept your fairer statement. Using nicer words never hurts.

Actually, I'll differ with you on that. The primary statins are all off patent, and are almost ridiculously inexpensive.

Besides which, the pro-statin viewpoint is also held by many people who have nothing personally to gain from their viewpoint (prescribing doctors, researchers).

On the other hand most anti-statin sources I've seen are blatantly self-promotional. The overall dollar amount that goes to these sources may be miniscule compared to the pharma market, but the personal gain these individuals derive is relatively large.

Besides which, the pro-statin viewpoint is also held by many people who have nothing personally to gain from their viewpoint (prescribing doctors, researchers).

I'll agree with that, I'm sure they are nice people.

BUT, if the entire hypothesis behind prescribing statins is WRONG, this is a moot point.

[...] I feel like you're patting me on the head when you say their "answers are always to some degree inaccurate."

Not at all - that statements reflects the objective truth of how I view the field of medicine.

I think that people expect too much, and therefore when they find some apparent discrepancy in what was once considered a medical "truth" need to come up with grand conspiracy theories to justify them.

Read Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes for a good story on how the actual science about cholesterol and heart disease was ignored, and a political agenda was put in as a substitute (boosted by George McGovern). He is a reputable science writer. [...]

You're making the point of my previous response to harley.

Gary Taubes is an excellent example of an individual who has a strong personal profit motive for sensationalizing a health story.

Also "reputable science writer" is not the same thing as "reputable scientist", and a book like he writes is not the same thing as good science.

I'm not saying there's no possible truth to what he writes, but I believe much of what he writes about is written with the motive of entertaining and engaging his audience as much as (or perhaps in excess of) informing them.

The primary sources are rarely as clear cut as authors like he represent, and the tactics used by these authors get in the way of an objective analysis of the sources.

Do I agree that past views on cholesterol and causes of heart disease were considerably different than today's body of knowledge suggests? Certainly. Do I agree that that implies some kind of grand conspiracy motivated by nefarious motives? Not so much. To me this is much more the normal evolution of scientific understanding.

Sure, there may be some political entities that gain in having one theory favored over another. But there are also many countering pressures (the self-promoters not being the least of them).

Who was it that said we have to wait for those that proposed the theory to die-off before we can move-on?

For what I read what you eat has nothing to do with cholesterol. It's different for different people.

I had a fasting blood test done after having been on a pescetarian diet for decades. I then went vegan for I think 10 weeks. I kept my weight and my level of exercise the same during this time period. My LDL dropped 22% after switching to the vegan diet.

This was just over three years ago. I added back wild caught salmon and locally sourced organic eggs to my diet about two years ago, but I eat those sparingly. I haven't had my blood tested since, but I thought the results of this experiment was interesting.

This past December I went to a new primary care doctor (we had moved a couple of years before and never found one). I was nervous he would recommend a statin. I had had been on statins in my late 40s and they actually did have a dramatic effect on my cholesterol levels and no known side effects, but I was hoping not to have to do anything. I had watched what I ate very carefully that year (I had a slightly high A1C at the end of 2014 which had startled me). I ate lowish carb using a meter to figure out what foods bothered me. I also continued the weight loss I had been working on for awhile.

But in late 2014 I still had a total cholesterol number that was a little high (225) and LDL was a little high (151) so I expected to need to argue on statins.

As it turned out before even seeing my 2015 labs he felt that I didn't need a statin. My triglycerides at the end of 2014 were 104 and HDL was was 52 and he felt that under current guidelines I didn't need a statin.

And, as it turned out after we did 2015 lab work things were better - total was 202, triglycerides were 69 (surely due to the lowish carb eating), LDL was 136 and HDL was 52.

But it was a relief to not need to argue with him about it. (I am not saying that statins aren't right for some people, just didn't think I needed them).

Just curious. Is there any evidence that show that lowering cholesterol with a statin will increase a person's life span (including all causes of death) for a person who is not diagnosed with CVD?

I saw an ad for a well known statin a few nights ago. A guy is joyous because his LDL and total cholesterol is low due to his statin. But, nowhere does the happy fellow mention that he will actually live longer or have a better quality of life. :confused:?

Last edited:
I saw a doctor about 5 or 6 years ago and she was so focused on my LDL number to the exclusion of everything else that I couldn't believe it. I tried to discuss my very low triglycerides and very high HDL, but her eyes glazed over and she suddenly had to get to her next appointment.

LDL is simple, quick and easy to fix with a pill. Whether it has any relevance on its own for those without other risk factors is unknown.

LDL is simple, quick and easy to fix with a pill. Whether it has any relevance on its own for those without other risk factors is unknown.

I think there is evidence for the association between LDL and heart disease. See for example this risk calculator based on the Framingham Heart Study. It shows the strong associations between future heart disease (hard CHD, e.g., heart attack) and LDL, among several very common risk factors. https://www.framinghamheartstudy.org/risk-functions/coronary-heart-disease/10-year-risk.php. Fortunately, high HDL helps to decrease risk somewhat, but it doesn't fully offset the effect of high LDL.

The basic problem is that the effect is small--you could double your 10 year CHD risk from having high LDL, but that might only be an absolute increase in risk from 2% to 4% over that 10 year period. On the other hand, the longer you hope to live, the more relevant those risk factors beccome. Plus, this is only for 'hard' CHD. For myself, I hope to avoid even mild CHD...

Last edited:
For what I read what you eat has nothing to do with cholesterol. It's different for different people.

Just read in paper today in daily Dr. Keith Roach column he wrote "the consensus of most experts is that dietary cholesterol has little or no effect on development of heart disease".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just read in paper today in daily Dr. Keith Roach column he wrote "the consensus of most experts is that dietary cholesterol has little or no effect on development of heart disease".

Yes, you want low blood cholesterol, not necessarily low dietary cholesterol. It seems to me that this is a fine point that gets lost in the discussions. Some people, I assume, can eat all the eggs they want and still have low blood cholesterol. Lucky people!

Do your homework before falling for cholesterol and heart disease lines. It has been known for decades that this supposed causation is dishonest. Why did the original Framingham study have to hide its data? (look for Dr. Eades' Framingham follies article). Why do objective studies continue to replicate those results? Why did Ancel Keys have to select pieces of his data to make the case for saturated fat/heart disease connection? Why is the number needed to treat for statins 100----and that is 100 reported by Pfizer. The true number is north of 250. Think about it!

Do your homework before falling for cholesterol and heart disease lines. It has been known for decades that this supposed causation is dishonest. Why did the original Framingham study have to hide its data? (look for Dr. Eades' Framingham follies article). Why do objective studies continue to replicate those results? Why did Ancel Keys have to select pieces of his data to make the case for saturated fat/heart disease connection? Why is the number needed to treat for statins 100----and that is 100 reported by Pfizer. The true number is north of 250. Think about it!
Welcome to the forum, Augeor. If you have issues with some of the thoughts expressed in this thread, perhaps you can share your views and give us specific links and sources.

While you're at it, why not stop by and introduce yourself, here Hi, I am... - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Just curious. Is there any evidence that show that lowering cholesterol with a statin will increase a person's life span (including all causes of death) for a person who is not diagnosed with CVD?

I saw an ad for a well known statin a few nights ago. A guy is joyous because his LDL and total cholesterol is low due to his statin. But, nowhere does the happy fellow mention that he will actually live longer or have a better quality of life. :confused:?
What I had heard/read was that there was an inflammation lowering effect (nothing to do with cholesterol levels) that had a slightly positive effect. There was nothing suggesting that the CVD was better or worse, but there was a small effect. And I think it said something about how other inflammation lowering techniques were more powerful and had fewer side effects. None of the statin manufacturers are going to do the study of who lives longer, statin taker or baby aspirin taker, but my bet would be baby aspirin taker.

According to Statins for Heart Disease Prevention (Without Prior Heart Disease) | theNNT "We feel comfortable that either there is no true mortality benefit in patients without CAD [in taking statins], or that the benefit is too small to be universally agreed upon."

Back
Top Bottom