Circuit City - Extended Warranty

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I know, I know... but it seemed to make sense at the time. I bought a laptop at Circuit City. I purchased the extended warranty because it covered the battery. Bottom line, the cost of a new battery per year was less than the cost of the warranty. So I went for it. Otherwise, I would not have done it. My battery is starting to go bad (lasts about an hour). I called to find out details for a replacement. They are telling me that they have changed their policy... I have to send in my battery to get a replacement. The problem is that I have to do without one. I bought the thing to be mobile. They told me too many people were ordering battery replacements. So they changed their procedure about 6 months ago. They will not ship a battery until I send mine in to be checked out. What do they expect. :duh:

I complained with the store manager. I will see what happens.

I was told when I purchased it that all I had to do was call and get the replacement. I assumed I would need to ship back my old battery... but not before I received one.

If I have to go without a battery for 2 weeks. I will not shop with them anymore.

You don't go from being the top electronics retailer to closing stores and massive restructuring without trying!

(disclaimer, I worked myself nearly to death at BBY and don't like them either)

extended warranties = the variable annuity of the retail world (huge profit margin,
sounds like a good idea when the salesman pushes it, not so good later)

I know, I know... but it seemed to make sense at the time. I bought a laptop at Circuit City. I purchased the extended warranty because it covered the battery. Bottom line, the cost of a new battery per year was less than the cost of the warranty. So I went for it. Otherwise, I would not have done it. My battery is starting to go bad (lasts about an hour). I called to find out details for a replacement. They are telling me that they have changed their policy... I have to send in my battery to get a replacement. The problem is that I have to do without one. I bought the thing to be mobile. They told me too many people were ordering battery replacements. So they changed their procedure about 6 months ago. They will not ship a battery until I send mine in to be checked out. What do they expect. :duh:

I complained with the store manager. I will see what happens.

I was told when I purchased it that all I had to do was call and get the replacement. I assumed I would need to ship back my old battery... but not before I received one.

If I have to go without a battery for 2 weeks. I will not shop with them anymore.

I bought a laptop from them a few months back an acer did not buy the extended warrenty and the first weekend with the machine I had all types of trouble. Brought the machine back and they took the badboy off my hands and bought an HP for 50 dollars more no trouble.

A friend of mine used to work for an electronics store. He said it was an inside joke among co-workers when they sold a contract. He said they referred to it as 'selling air'. :p

The funny thing is when they try to sell you an extended warranty for somethng that cost $50.00.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom