Claim about a new anti-aging drug: ISRIB

O2Bfree

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here's a claim about a recently-discovered drug to combat aging. Trials for efficacy and side effects could take up to ten years, so don't be throwing caution to the wind now.

https://komonews.com/news/nation-world/researchers-discover-drug-that-reverses-mental-decline-aging

Researchers studying cognitive deficits following traumatic brain injuries have discovered what they say is a revolutionary drug that could provide the cure for aging.

The study by the University of California San Francisco has shown promising results among mice, essentially reversing age-related declines in memory.

“We went on with this crazy experiment...and were able to return their cognitive function to as if they were never injured,” said Dr. Suzanna Rosi, UCSF professor in the departments of Neurological Surgery and of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science. “Since traumatic brain injury is really a form of accelerated aging, because your brain ages faster and develops those deficits, is it possible to even reverse aging?”

Researchers are using a drug called ISRIB (Integrated Stress Response InhiBitor). It works by rebooting a cell’s protein production after it’s been stunted by a stress response.

So it only helps with brain decline? Doesn't add years to most peoples lives. People will still die at the same age from heart problems, cancer, ect.

So it only helps with brain decline? Doesn't add years to most peoples lives. People will still die at the same age from heart problems, cancer, ect.

The article discusses mainly brain decline, which can shorten the lifespan. People do die early from Alzheimers for example.

Another article has more information:

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/12/419201/drug-reverses-age-related-mental-decline-within-days

Chronic ISR activation and resulting blockage of cellular protein production may play a role in a surprisingly wide array of neurological conditions. Here are the conditions where there is already evidence that the ISR plays a role, and which could potentially be treated with an ISR-resetting agent like ISRIB.

Frontotemporal Dementia
Alzheimer’s Disease
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
Age-related Cognitive Decline
Multiple Sclerosis
Traumatic Brain Injury
Parkinson’s Disease
Down Syndrome
Vanishing White Matter Disorder
Prion Disease

The years we have, could be far better ones if we didn't have to contend with brain decline. It is a horrible thing which can make you wish you were dead.

The years we have, could be far better ones if we didn't have to contend with brain decline. It is a horrible thing which can make you wish you were dead.

Agreed! Especially hard on loved ones.

Here's one for the humans - low dose Lithium has similar sounding attributes. An ingredient in the original 7UP -
Lithium’s range of beneficial effects, from mood modulation to neuroprotection, may be linked to its ability to boost levels of certain enzymes and other large molecules—in particular the protein known as brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). Sometimes called “brain fertilizer,” this protein fosters the growth of new brain cells and is normally stimulated by healthy activities such as exercise. (It’s the reason why I always tell myself, when I don’t feel like dragging myself to the gym, “This is more for my brain than it is for my body.”) But cell culture studies suggest that tiny lithium doses can also boost BDNF; raise levels of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF); reduce levels of “oxidative stress”; modulate levels of neurotransmitters such as dopamine, serotonin, and glutamate; and reduce inflammation in glial cells (the “support” cells for neurons, essential for brain function).
A handful of studies also seem to suggest that lithium’s cellular trickery could even help protect against the development of neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.
https://neo.life/2020/11/lithium-the-next-trend-in-microdosing/

Last edited:
Gotta follow this thread. Anything to protect those brain cells. No lithium in modern 7UP?

I agree and would make make a huge difference in peoples lives.

DW's father turned 95 a few days ago, (years back he told me he was ready to go...and he was still totally aware at that time).

Since that time it's been downhill, (and this is a guy who never had a major illness/health problem in his entire life...now he's fragile, falls, needs care); DW spoke to him last evening...he thought he was 105.....he then said "I'll let you talk to your mother", and handed the phone to her sister, (mother's been dead a couple years plus).

No thanks.

No lithium in modern 7UP?

From the Fargo season 3 animated robot -"I can help".
The molecular weight of Lithium is 7, and I suppose UP for it's levity, although I get a mild calming effect.

Originally known as “Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda", the Lithium was removed in 1949.

However it is available as a low cost supplement.
On light exercise or rest days, I take 5mgs of Lithium Orotate upon first wake after falling asleep to calm an overactive mind. The effects are mild enough to be Placebo so I'll use the YMMV caveat.

I don't want mental disease but I also don't want my brain being so resilient that I'll feel too much at the end of life when my heart stops. Work on that, doctors. This is why I want to move to a physician assisted suicide state.

I don't want mental disease but I also don't want my brain being so resilient that I'll feel too much at the end of life when my heart stops. Work on that, doctors. This is why I want to move to a physician assisted suicide state.
I don’t think those states offer much help for problems like dementia. I wish you could purchase a fast, painless pill like the supposed pill Gary Powers was purported to carry. I would like one of those tucked away in the use when needed drawer.

You have to be in your right mind to consent to assisted suicide. And family can't consent for you. Nor is there an advanced directive (that I'm aware of) that says "When 2 physicians testify that I am hopelessly demented, I want assisted suicide."

I don’t think those states offer much help for problems like dementia. I wish you could purchase a fast, painless pill like the supposed pill Gary Powers was purported to carry. I would like one of those tucked away in the use when needed drawer.

I do. I want to know what happens.

Of course I would want painkillers, too!

I don't want mental disease but I also don't want my brain being so resilient that I'll feel too much at the end of life when my heart stops.

Since I have one of those almost-extinct COLA'd pensions I want it just to give my ex-employer apoplexy.:LOL:

I do. I want to know what happens.

Of course I would want painkillers, too!

Nurses don't come rushing at the end of life when you lose the ability to breath to give you something super-fast acting to make that more comfortable.

Moving to another country isn't out of the question if they have better laws than the US but I don't know where yet.

But who there would actually get upset? Our HR/retirement people seemed kind of gleeful about employees who went on to collect a pension longer than they'd worked.

Since I have one of those almost-extinct COLA'd pensions I want it just to give my ex-employer apoplexy.:LOL:

But who there would actually get upset? Our HR/retirement people seemed kind of gleeful about employees who went on to collect a pension longer than they'd worked.

I guess the HR people were not funding the longer pensions out of their personal funds. The corporation has a fund they created for such pension benefits. Unless, of course, it's a gov pension then taxpayers fund it.

Yes, our pension is a genuine "entitlement" (and you're free to call it that; I definitely feel entitled to mine!) and I believe Walt34's is, too. :LOL::cool:

IUnless, of course, it's a gov pension then taxpayers fund it.

Yes, our pension is a genuine "entitlement" (and you're free to call it that; I definitely feel entitled to mine!) and I believe Walt34's is, too. :LOL::cool:

Not that your pension wasn't earned, but Walt put his life on the line daily as a police officer. I think his pension comes from local community budget funding.

For some reason I thought he was a federal LEO (law enforcement officer) for a national-level agency. Oh well; he has a well-earned pension, and that's what matters.

Not that your pension wasn't earned, but Walt put his life on the line daily as a police officer. I think his pension comes from local community budget funding.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom