Class of 2012

DH is retiring in June. I cannot believe all the paperwork he must submit - for pension, for insurance....and all of it has deadlines. He has at least 10 pieces of paper to get in, two of which must be notarized. Neither one of us is that organized. :(

We talked to a "counselor" at one of the places who was not that helpful. (He has three years in as a state employee and 26 in as a teacher - so two different entities with which to deal). I just nag, lol.

Add "us" to the list. DH plans to take early retirement in 2012 at age 55 after working for the same company for over 31 years.

We have been planning for this since we were 24. To make it better, there are rumors that the company he works for is going to offer managers a incentive package to retire. Last year they offered one to VPs and directors, but the rumor is that they still need to get more lean and mean at the top. Since DH was planning on retiring anyway, this would be icing on the cake.

Wow, not many in the Class of 2012!! I had to find the thread so that I could give an update and was shocked to find that I was the last one to post, so I guess I'll be talking to myself. ha ha ha

The VP announced that there WILL be an incentive package to get managers to retire. I imagine we'll find out for sure no later than the fall and hopefully the offload date will be the last workday in January as it was this year for the directors and VPs.

2012 is going to be a GREAT year to retire. :dance:

DH and I have hit a little snag--not a snag exactly - just a pain in the neck thing. We plan to use some money from our 403b between retirement and SS. Our plan administrator is a young guy (music background) who has recently joined his father as a MetLife rep. He told us we couldn't use any of the 403b before 59 1/2. I know we can as we will both be over 55 when we retire.

Several emails back and forth, including a link to a MetLife distribution form that states in plain English that we can do this with no penalties. Once we get all that straightened out with him, I will sleep better with very few worries and only joy in my heart about upcoming retirement.

I still need to find a computer app that will show the countdown to retirement. Now, THAT will be fun.

I have updated again and added a few earmarks.
Those who come new to this thread or would like to add their earmarks please feel free to copy and paste the list.

Cato
DFW M5
Masquernom
Traineeinvestor
Gary M
Scony
Ohyes 7/12
Worker Bee
Plattj 1
Unallowable
Bellbarbara
Ksols
Aviator
JJPies60
Obgyn65
65walkon
Blackwoodt
Chris2008 7/12
Mexico 7/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave
Bellbarbara
druba50
Piano88
o2chim2
Dancingmama

Added some detail:

Cato
DFW M5 1/12 @ 62
Masquernom
Traineeinvestor
Gary M
Scony
Ohyes 7/12
Worker Bee
Plattj 1
Unallowable
Bellbarbara
Ksols
Aviator
JJPies60
Obgyn65
65walkon
Blackwoodt
Chris2008 7/12
Mexico 7/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave
Bellbarbara
druba50
Piano88
o2chim2
Dancingmama

For a countdown widget, go to Yahoo widgets, or use the link. http://widgets.yahoo.com/widgets/retirement-countdown I like their retirement countdown widget!

I also found a place on Etsy (an e-commerce website focused on handmade or vintage items as well as art and craft supplies) where I had my own special calendar necklace made, marking my final day in 2012!

It comes with, or without a personalized disc. I had mine engraved 505. 505 was a code word for meeting at the local pub, 5 minutes after 5:00, well on September 28th, 2012 it will be my last 505! I love it, and wear it everyday.

I've attached a photo, and here is a link to Etsy for any of you that might wish to mark your own calendar! (and no, I don't know the person making the necklaces, I just thought they were great!)

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62488363/mark-your-calendar-necklace-tm?ref=pr_shop

Attachments

• Date.png
    Date.png
    512.1 KB · Views: 14
Hey, thanks for the retirement countdown widget link. Got it downloaded and rolling right along.

Appreciate it. DH only has 3 more days so he probably doesn't need it, lol.

Yahoo! Met with financial advisor today and he says it will work! 2012 here we come!

Hello. I'm new to this site and have enjoyed reading and learning from the posters here. I'll be retiring from my teaching career on 5-25-2012, one week before I turn 51. My DH(also a teacher) will follow me into retirement in 2013 at the age of 55. I'm still a little nervous anticipating the changes ahead, but also very excited.

Hello. I'm new to this site and have enjoyed reading and learning from the posters here. I'll be retiring from my teaching career on 5-25-2012, one week before I turn 51. My DH(also a teacher) will follow me into retirement in 2013 at the age of 55. I'm still a little nervous anticipating the changes ahead, but also very excited.

Congrats on your soon to be ER! You will skate out a few months before me. I just hope that the next 14 months fly by, then slow way down!

Thanks Blackwoodt! Yes, hopefully things do slow down once things aren't so hectic. Ive already turned in the paperwork which definitely took some weight off my shoulders.

Jammer said:

2 teacher retirement incomes...now that rocks!
Have fun.

chris2008 said:
I have updated again and added a few earmarks.
Those who come new to this thread or would like to add their earmarks please feel free to copy and paste the list.

Cato
DFW M5
Masquernom
Traineeinvestor
Gary M
Scony
Ohyes 7/12
Worker Bee
Plattj 1
Unallowable
Bellbarbara
Ksols 6/12
Aviator
JJPies60
Obgyn65
65walkon
Blackwoodt
Chris2008 7/12
Mexico 7/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave
Bellbarbara
druba50
Piano88
o2chim2
Dancingmama

Added KSols at 6/12

DH's last day of work was yesterday. Cannot believe the day finally came. He doesn't believe it either.

We also will have two teacher pensions, but after health insurance, DH's will only have $500.00 remaining. (That is not until after I retire next year). Some teacher's pensions are more than others, lol. However, we plan to make it work!

DH's last day of work was yesterday. Cannot believe the day finally came. He doesn't believe it either.

We also will have two teacher pensions, but after health insurance, DH's will only have $500.00 remaining. (That is not until after I retire next year). Some teacher's pensions are more than others, lol. However, we plan to make it work!

Congratulations to your spouse on a very significant day. I am counting the months.

Congrats on your soon to be ER! You will skate out a few months before me. I just hope that the next 14 months fly by, then slow way down!

That's about my timeline. I have already started the adjustment period and while I am still trying to get the job done, I have made a significant hurdle in that I am not stressing about sales. This is the fun part and the next yr will go by fast.

I am starting my extended vacation on April 1st next year. I am counting the days. I must admit that telling my co-workers about my intentions may have been a mistake. Right now, I feel like a lame duck. I don't get dragged into projects like I used to and they pretty much leave me alone I guess because they assume I have lost interest. The same applies to my management. It feels a bit strange to me.

they pretty much leave me alone I guess because they assume I have lost interest. The same applies to my management. It feels a bit strange to me.

I'm not sure that I'm seeing the downside! :LOL: I'm in the same boat, and kind of enjoying it!

Don't get me wrong. I am kind of enjoying it too. It's just that lately my wife is asking me what, exactly, I am retiring from (tongue planted in cheek, I assume)

A thread I started pointed me here. I'm planning on joining you in the Class of 2012! I'm not a teacher but will be getting State teacher's retirement package and I'm fully vested! DW & I have been socking it away for years and the fee only financial advisor says we're set so time to pull the plug on the daily grind! I think 26 years is ENOUGH!

Right now, I feel like a lame duck. I don't get dragged into projects like I used to and they pretty much leave me alone I guess because they assume I have lost interest. The same applies to my management. It feels a bit strange to me.

Before I retired in 2009, I appreciated any empty time that developed at work. I used the time to try to ensure a smooth transition of my duties from me to the next person.

I went through 20,000 e-mails and culled them down to those few hundred worth transferring to my successor. I no longer needed those I kept for CYA, and being cautious in a tough environment, that represented quite a few.

I went through all my paper files and shredded whatever was no longer needed (such as interim progress reports on projects that were finished, and so on).

I had any of our technical reports that had become available online in PDF, and any duplicates, shredded. I organized the rest by topic since my job was being divided up between three people and this way each could take the relevant reports.

I organized papers and journal articles on topics that my successor(s) would need, into boxes by topic and clearly labeled each.

I personally took classified/confidential materials to my supervisor and made sure the transfer was done correctly.

I even went through my office supplies and gave away all that I didn't need immediately to co-workers, for government use only.

I gave Holli my little stress-reliever alligator that she had asked for.

There was a LOT of work of the types I have mentioned. It took a huge amount of time. Also, I was invited to those meetings where they needed an extra bright smiling face representing my unit, but didn't really need any thought or input. This allowed others in my unit to skip the meeting and actually do work.

I spent several hours each week training one of my successors on the most politically touchy part of my job. I actually even wrote a 100 page manual on how I did that job, in case she had questions after I left. I printed two and gave a copy to our supervisor.

By my retirement day, my drawers and file cabinets and closet were empty. My remaining office supplies were neatly arranged on top of one counter, and several neatly labeled boxes of government owned books and other technical material were neatly arranged on the other counter. I knew that I had left my job in good hands, and that my successors would not need to contact me because they had all the information I could give to them.

This is a GOOD feeling - - I felt I had wrapped things up neatly and tied with a bow, figuratively speaking.

Last edited:
W2R,

You show a lot more loyalty than I can muster.

I felt like my job mattered, at least in some small way, and besides I need to look in the mirror every morning when I brush my hair. My actions and accomplishments met my own standards both when I was working and when I was in the process of winding down for retirement.

Back
Top Bottom