Class of 2012

So sorry to hear about your mother. Good idea to take it one day at a time. I hope you were able to take some bereavement vacation. It is a necessity, IMO. Take care of yourself, and take care.

Thanks for your thoughts. My mom has suffered from end stage dementia and her quality of life was taking a very bad dip, so in some ways it was relief that we felt. And then guilt of course over feeling this way. She was not very much like my mom during this past year, so I have been grieving all along at the loss.

I did take a week off, but work feels worse now, like the nonsense level is so much higher. It is plenty of money, there really is no reason for me to continue to work, it essentially replaces 10 years of my net salary amt. I think my husband wants me to work as he has to keep working due to child support and private college costs for his youngest.

I will think about it more.

I did take a week off, but work feels worse now, like the nonsense level is so much higher. It is plenty of money, there really is no reason for me to continue to work, it essentially replaces 10 years of my net salary amt. I think my husband wants me to work as he has to keep working due to child support and private college costs for his youngest.

I personally wouldn't need long to think about it. It doesn't sound like there is any good reason for you to stay employed. Meanwhile, the stress is not healthy.

I too am very sorry for the loss of your Mom.

If I stay until April there are 3 money issues: my bonus is paid in April (about 8K net), a referral fee I would get for getting someone hired (2K net), and more stock options vest (difficult to judge what this would be but maybe 5K net). So hub feels for that amount of money over and above my salary, I should stick it out.

It would make a nice travel fund for a long trip to Australia/New Zealand we want to take. I am trying to think of it that way for now.

If I stay until April there are 3 money issues: my bonus is paid in April (about 8K net), a referral fee I would get for getting someone hired (2K net), and more stock options vest (difficult to judge what this would be but maybe 5K net). So hub feels for that amount of money over and above my salary, I should stick it out.

It would make a nice travel fund for a long trip to Australia/New Zealand we want to take. I am trying to think of it that way for now.

What about if you left effective Jan 1; provided your bonus is based on calendar year 2011, I believe they would have to pay you your bonus. The only issue I see with that is once your gone, they may undercut what they award you, but I guess that depends on how your company adminsters the bonus and how fair they are.

PS - you may also be able to accrue your full 2012 vacation time and take that off for some additional $s, but again, that may depend on your company's policy.

Last edited:
No, I wish it was that way. Our fiscal year ends Jan 31, and you have to be employed to get your bonus for the year, in mid April. It's terrible. I used up all my vacation time. Frustrating.

I will think hard about it. It's very stressful and not a hint of changing.

Thanks everyone!

Sadly, Pal and spouse are now looking at 2014. It's not that bad, and perhaps the housing market will also boost what we are able to get for the house. :greetings10:

Sorry to hear that

Sadly, Pal and spouse are now looking at 2014. It's not that bad, and perhaps the housing market will also boost what we are able to get for the house. :greetings10:

Sorry to hear that. Just hang in there; only a couple of more years.

I just submitted my retirement papers. All is in order to retire Sep 1, 2012. DW and I are in the process of having our dream home built in Northern MI. Should be ready to move in by next Sept.

Thanks for your thoughts. My mom has suffered from end stage dementia and her quality of life was taking a very bad dip, so in some ways it was relief that we felt. And then guilt of course over feeling this way. She was not very much like my mom during this past year, so I have been grieving all along at the loss.

BellBarbara, I'm very sorry for your loss. And far be it from me to tell anyone to keep working, but it's been good advice for me when I was told not to make any major changes in my life while still suffering from the shock of a major loss. If you are ready to go and now financially set, well and good. But taking your time and letting things settle a little might not hurt either. The nice thing about the FI part of FIRE is the change in attitude about your job tends to make the little annoyances just become laughable instead of unbearable.

Met with the director of human resources today. I was given my "so you're considering retirement" packet with timelines, info and schedule of monetary perks. Very fun. All your help on this site plus a financial advisor that understands teachers has me feeling 3 steps ahead of the game. Armed with those tools is making this the enjoyable experience it should be. Smiling everyday.

Thought for sure, DW and I were slated for the class of 2011. But, best laid plans were dealt a blow by the realities of realty. Had everything lined up, then put the house on the market in May...thinking it would sell by end of summer, and we'd be on our way.

The good news - escrow just closed. The bad news - we got beat up on price worse than expected.

So, we're in a rental now on a 6 month lease, working a while longer to fill the piggy bank back up. Certainly not the end of the world, and on the bright side - the last major unknown has been removed from our plans, and we'll be joining the Class of 2012 on May 1.

Thought for sure, DW and I were slated for the class of 2011. But, best laid plans were dealt a blow by the realities of realty. Had everything lined up, then put the house on the market in May...thinking it would sell by end of summer, and we'd be on our way.

The good news - escrow just closed. The bad news - we got beat up on price worse than expected.

So, we're in a rental now on a 6 month lease, working a while longer to fill the piggy bank back up. Certainly not the end of the world, and on the bright side - the last major unknown has been removed from our plans, and we'll be joining the Class of 2012 on May 1.

The peace of mind is definitely worth it and it's amazing on what you can save in 7 months when you put your mind to it. Also, we all know how fast Nov and Dec go by with the holidays and May will be here very quickly.

No, I wish it was that way. Our fiscal year ends Jan 31, and you have to be employed to get your bonus for the year, in mid April. It's terrible. I used up all my vacation time. Frustrating.

I will think hard about it. It's very stressful and not a hint of changing.

Thanks everyone!

Probably worth it for 15k, depending on what you have. Just be sure Aapril doesn't turn into, well how about Aug, etc.. I am preparing for that myself and being on a bonus system, it's easy to get caught up in another 6 months.

May 2012 will be here soon. :D

Although, one groggy Monday morning I made the mistake of counting how many w*rking Mondays I have between now and the last day of school. It was 26. Wish I hadn't checked.:(

I am still working, I seem to be able to make my peace right now. I like the money coming in. But I continue to take it day by day.

I have been working on scheduling lots of fun things to make myself feel better about this decision.

ohyes said:
May 2012 will be here soon. :D

Although, one groggy Monday morning I made the mistake of counting how many w*rking Mondays I have between now and the last day of school. It was 26. Wish I hadn't checked.:(

That is SO manageable and worth smiling about. The other day I saw my assistant coach dressed up and remembered they were interviewing for my position. Weird, cool feeling.

It’s general election day, and today when I voted I realized that a year from now when we are all voting for the next president of the United States, that I will be retired.

Now that brought a smile to my face! :ROFLMAO:

Nice!

I went to the dentist, and they gave me a reminder card about my appt in 6 months. I went to my work computer and started to put the appt in my calendar, then realized I would not have the account in 6 months. :)

Nice!

I went to the dentist, and they gave me a reminder card about my appt in 6 months. I went to my work computer and started to put the appt in my calendar, then realized I would not have the account in 6 months. :)

I remember doing that, and thinking, "what will I do? I rely on calendar reminders all the time!"

Google calendar is great. And for the really important stuff you can have it send a text to your cell phone.

I remember doing that, and thinking, "what will I do? I rely on calendar reminders all the time!"

Google calendar is great. And for the really important stuff you can have it send a text to your cell phone.

Google calendar is indeed great. If it seems like overkill once you are retired, you can always just leave text note reminders on your computer desktop. I leave mine in my Excel file (the one I check every day, with my investments, personal finance, budget, etc). That seems to work for me.

OMG!! I had to mention my plans to retire in 2012 yesterday. My boss came up to me and asked if I would like to get the next installation of several very nice advances in technology. Of course I would! I am a geek. But, the learning curve is steep and in reality i would not be putting it to full use until the next school year. So, I turned acted very indifferent to it.

Later, to explain my seeming indifference, I informed the boss that since I probably would not be here next year, it would be better for somebody else to get the technology this year, and start to master it.
I believe this was the right thing to do.

So the cat is out of the bag, the beans have been spilled and the pancakes have hit the griddle. And I am getting nervous at the thought of actually not working and not getting a paycheck. What have I done:confused:

Last edited:
OMG!! I had to mention my plans to retire in 2012 yesterday. My boss came up to me and asked if I would like to get the next installation of several very nice advances in technology. Of course I would! I am a geek. But, the learning curve is steep and in reality i would not be putting it to full use until the next school year. So, I turned acted very indifferent to it.

Later, to explain my seeming indifference, I informed the boss that since I probably would not be here next year, it would be better for somebody else to get the technology this year, and start to master it.

So the cat is out of the bag, the beans have been spilled and the pancakes have hit the griddle. And I am getting nervous at the thought of actually not working and not getting a paycheck. What have I done:confused:
It's not bad to let the business know you intend to retire or leave. And it's normal to have some butterflies. If you are confident in your preparations you can change that confused face for a smiley one.
What have I done:)

Google calendar. I was not aware of this - but I don't use The Google very much. I do need a calendar and like that text reminder function - very helpful for those of us approaching senility. Good tip. Thanks

I think you have a great set of ethics in passing on the latest technology based on your plans. Hopefully your boss appreciates it as well.

I'm really a 2013-er, but....lately the fed govt. has stepped up offering "early outs" to employees who meet certain time & age requirements, and I'm well past those, so....

They made the offer last year & I wasn't ready. Next time, if & when...I might have to really consider it. As it stands right now, I'm due to check out in January '13. If they make an offer sometime around the mid-year mark, I might be persuaded to jump into the class of 2012.

I'm really a 2013-er, but....lately the fed govt. has stepped up offering "early outs" to employees who meet certain time & age requirements, and I'm well past those, so....

They made the offer last year & I wasn't ready. Next time, if & when...I might have to really consider it. As it stands right now, I'm due to check out in January '13. If they make an offer sometime around the mid-year mark, I might be persuaded to jump into the class of 2012.

That sounds like a good plan. I hope it works out for you. :)

Back
Top Bottom