Class of 2019

Class of 2019...52 work days to go.
Offered to stay part time in 2020 but may be changing my mind.

A part of me feels like I have "Stockholm syndrome" - a condition which causes hostages to develop a psychological alliance with their captors during captivity. Most days, I feel frustrated at the chaotic environment and foolish decisions by admin.

I thought I'd feel happier being this close to RE !

thoughts ?? :cool:

^^^^^^ While you are working, you feel like you are doing important things for your clients/projects, etc. And, you probably are. And your life and thoughts can revolve around this.

But, there is an entirely different life waiting for you out there that does NOT involve the stuff at your job. After you leave, you may miss it, and the people there, but they will get along without you, and you can concentrate on other things in life.

Be sure you at least try to have a rough plan for what you will do with yourself day to day...hobbies/projects around the house/travel/volunteer work, etc. This will help you as you change your focus to a (better) world that does not involve wasting 10 hours a day at w*rk.

A part of me feels like I have "Stockholm syndrome" - a condition which causes hostages to develop a psychological alliance with their captors during captivity. Most days, I feel frustrated at the chaotic environment and foolish decisions by admin.

I think my BS bucket is full. We have a new CEO, and the decisions coming down make me want to bang my head against the desk. I'm excited at times, but getting my successor in place has not gone smoothly to say the least.

I do smile to myself when someone says "we'll review this again next year"- cause I won't be here....

Many people likely go through stages of this feeling. We devoted ourselves to a cause or profession and decide to walk away from the playing field. If health is in sharp decline, if the game was rough or toxic, much easier to walk.

For me there was some inner turmoil until I told my boss about retiring. Next day, the birds sang more and the sun shone brighter. Still had to wrestle with some retirement anxieties, but all is better after a few months of FIRE!

I've been contemplating Dec 31, 2019 as my official date to stop W-2 income and focus on the next stage of life. DW and I will both be 55 years old then and we should have plenty of $ socked away. It's exciting to start planning for a different set of priorities. 2148 days to go!

I posted this back in 2014. Well, I officially pulled the plug earlier this week (on Sep 30, 2019) and did it at age 54. I'm calling it my "semi-retirement" because eventually I'll probably do some things that will bring in extra income - e.g., part-time, contract, entrepreneurial, etc. The nice thing is...we don't need to do anything if we don't feel like it. For now, I'm taking some down time after working for 42+ years nonstop (since I was a twelve year old with a paper route)! What a great feeling. Woohoo!

Good luck to everyone on your own journey toward accomplishing your goals.

Downtown

I posted this back in 2014. Well, I officially pulled the plug earlier this week (on Sep 30, 2019) and did it at age 54. I'm calling it my "semi-retirement" because eventually I'll probably do some things that will bring in extra income - e.g., part-time, contract, entrepreneurial, etc. The nice thing is...we don't need to do anything if we don't feel like it. For now, I'm taking some down time after working for 42+ years nonstop (since I was a twelve year old with a paper route)! What a great feeling. Woohoo!

Good luck to everyone on your own journey toward accomplishing your goals.

Downtown

Congrats on pulling the plug! You might find yourself enjoying your free days so much that thoughts about working part-time or whatnot will fade along with the thoughts of your working life!

Last edited:
I’m not able to join the Class of 2019 but I am thankful for all of you posting. It’s great motivation for those of us with slightly longer countdowns before we can retire. One day though I’ll be doing the retirement happy dance! :dance:

Thanks!

Hey, remember me? I started here in 2003 as a Young Dreamer (and even earlier in the old TMF REHP board), and Friday October 11 I'll be early retired at age 49! ("In my 40s")

Or at least semi-retired. I'll probably try to dabble in some computer-based side hustles for money.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/bigmoneyjim-is-back-13987.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f30/welcome-young-dreamers-14064.html

I'm done! :cool:

I have no job, no work laptop, no work phone, no badge, no responsibilities.

I'm starting to get cold feet. Anyone else have this problem?

Talk me off the ledge!! Or is that back on the ledge? I'm so confused.

^^^^ +1. Right up to the day you do leave, you can find a bunch of reasons not to (if you are trying to). If your financials are sound, and tools like FireCalc say you are good, then just do it. Life really is better on the other side of the fence.

Thanks simple_girl !

I'm starting to get cold feet. Anyone else have this problem?

Talk me off the ledge!! Or is that back on the ledge? I'm so confused.

I've been going through the process the past 2-3 weeks, and my last day of work (ever?) was Friday.

The intellect and emotion are two separate processes. For me, anyway. I have my plan, I know my contingencies (most of which are "go back to work", BTW, so definitely keep working now or only maybe go back to work later is the choice that helped me over the edge), and the value/risk proposition of continuing to work versus not working are weighed. Seeing celebrity deaths around age 70 and realizing that's 20 years away from me and 70 doesn't sound "too early" for said celebrities to leave...yeah I should quit working.

Anyway, the analogy going through my head lately is like jumping into a cold lake. You know there's going to be an unpleasant adjustment period, some involuntary shivering and maybe a good scream, but if you don't jump you don't get to swim. And if you try to slowly wade it you just drag it out and make the pain last longer.

So that's what the past couple of weeks have been like for me. There's a normalcy bias at play, and it feels wrong to change that, and coworkers react with surprise, and you might feel like you're abandoning or betraying some of them. But I got through it, and I knew I would. I'll adjust to this cold lake, and I'm already starting to swim a bit.

So I can't tell you whether or not you should retire. But you sound like you've intellectually determined you can and should do it. When are you going to get the opportunity to learn how to handle all the emotional challenges? (psst: never) So jump in or never swim.

One month in and going well. Traveling quite a bit through next week before it gets too cold, will stay home next month and work on our daily routine.

I'm still trying to pull our new home together. We've been here two weeks and I've unpacked the last box. Next I need to install hooks and holders in the garage, get the pictures on the walls, and install cabinet pulls. We have workers coming to install gutters, and install the lighting and fans and screens for the lanai; better than me climbing up to 11 foot ceilings! So there hasn't been much "retirement" yet.

Sign me up

I calculated I was safe to retire a couple of years ago, but I wasn't mentally ready yet to select an exit date. Too much was swirling around in my head: excitement, fear, hopes, doubts, questions with conflicting answers... same as just about everybody else on this thread.

So I clung to what was familiar and figured that The Truth would emerge and I'd know exactly what to do. After a stretched OMY, I now have the answer. My last day on the j*b will be 31 December 2019.

You, the reader of this post, are probably saying, "Frabjous, Mdlerth! Pray, what was the key to penetrating the fog, unraveling the enigma and unlocking Revelation?" (I've heard you people really do talk that way. It's a little weird, but cool! :D )

My first hint was when the boss came furtively into my office, closed the door behind him, and in a hushed voice said "Management completed another downsizing study. You were selected." He then handed me the Holy Grail of Retirement: a savory severance package.

With trembling hands, I opened the precious folder and examined its contents. It's the real thing, baby. Two months of turnover (mostly cleaning out my cr*p), followed by a year's pay plus vacation buyout plus pension plus company-subsidized health insurance up til Medicare plus a Supplement allowance for life plus few more minor goodies. (pauses to wipe drool off chin)

***​

My Megacorp has been merging and divesting for a long time, which often precipitates RIFs. To be honest, while I was busy dithering over my RE timetable, my fondest hope the past two years was that some company executive would make the decision for me. In the end, that's what happened.

It feels surreal, and I'm half-expecting to wake up and find I dreamed the whole thing. I saw Washington win the World Series; maybe that also was a dream? It's the explanation that makes the most sense. :LOL:

I calculated I was safe to retire a couple of years ago, but I wasn't mentally ready yet to select an exit date. Too much was swirling around in my head: excitement, fear, hopes, doubts, questions with conflicting answers... same as just about everybody else on this thread.

So I clung to what was familiar and figured that The Truth would emerge and I'd know exactly what to do. After a stretched OMY, I now have the answer. My last day on the j*b will be 31 December 2019.

You, the reader of this post, are probably saying, "Frabjous, Mdlerth! Pray, what was the key to penetrating the fog, unraveling the enigma and unlocking Revelation?" (I've heard you people really do talk that way. It's a little weird, but cool! :D )

My first hint was when the boss came furtively into my office, closed the door behind him, and in a hushed voice said "Management completed another downsizing study. You were selected." He then handed me the Holy Grail of Retirement: a savory severance package.

With trembling hands, I opened the precious folder and examined its contents. It's the real thing, baby. Two months of turnover (mostly cleaning out my cr*p), followed by a year's pay plus vacation buyout plus pension plus company-subsidized health insurance up til Medicare plus a Supplement allowance for life plus few more minor goodies. (pauses to wipe drool off chin)

***​

My Megacorp has been merging and divesting for a long time, which often precipitates RIFs. To be honest, while I was busy dithering over my RE timetable, my fondest hope the past two years was that some company executive would make the decision for me. In the end, that's what happened.

It feels surreal, and I'm half-expecting to wake up and find I dreamed the whole thing. I saw Washington win the World Series; maybe that also was a dream? It's the explanation that makes the most sense. [emoji23]
That's fantastic! Congrats!

Super, Mdlerth! You've been considering for a long time, and I'm curious as to how quickly you switch into post-FIRE planning and thinking! That is, are you already looking ahead to next year?

A life of leisure begins with... labor

Super, Mdlerth! You've been considering for a long time, and I'm curious as to how quickly you switch into post-FIRE planning and thinking! That is, are you already looking ahead to next year?

As soon as I could I called DW, and she is now rethinking her own exit date. Naturally there are a bunch of details we need to crunch through. A big one is our planned move to the retirement house we bought last year.

We have been keeping two houses now, since the city house is handier for commuting to w*rk as long as it lasted. But the sooner we make the full move the sooner we can sell the city house and pay off the mortgage on the lake house and be debt-free again.

I learned an interesting lesson about owning a second home. Initially it we felt like vacationers when we went there every weekend. But after a month, ordinary household chores began to pile up and we transformed from vacationers to homeowners. Two toilets needed their guts replaced, the a/c shorted out, the dryer vent clogged, the well water filter filled with sand, etc. Every weekend we spend out there is a weekend we're not at the main house which has its own maintenance needs: mow lawn, blow leaves, repaint a bedroom, replace faucet washers, etc. The retirement agenda is going to kickoff with a list of all the fixes and cleanups necessary to prep the old house for sale. Whew! I feel tired just thinking about it - it's gonna be more work than w*rk! :LOL:

I learned an interesting lesson about owning a second home. Initially it we felt like vacationers when we went there every weekend. But after a month, ordinary household chores began to pile up and we transformed from vacationers to homeowners.
Congrats! Being offered any FIRE hopeful's dream closure...makes everything easier. When I started dating my wife, we had two places, just 14 miles apart. We spent weekends at my place, and weekdays at hers, in town. We had to move groceries, laundry, etc., back and forth, and had to maintain and clean two places. My then girlfriend almost left me over it (and threatened to). Just like keeping an extra car. Extra washing, waxing, detailing, fueling, insuring, etc.

Anyhow, congrats! And enjoy. I'm assuming you're both well-prepared....!

Back
Top Bottom