CNH Galapagos

jpjr

Recycles dryer sheets
We are looking into reserving space on a small ship cruise to the Galapagos and CNH Tours has great reviews. Still I'd like to know if any of my fellow FIRE members have experience with this particular tour.

Thanks

jpjr

We did a small ship trip there last year (Lindblad/NatGeo) and it was the best trip we ever had!

You should be fine no matter who you go with because the Ecuadorian government is extremely strict about tourism. Very small groups allowed on shore, only at specific places and times that are prearranged for minimum disruption to the animals. Very low naturalist to tourist ratio as well.

You can see from my avatar that I'm still basking in the glow of that trip.

I went on a 4 day tour that started with a flight into Baltra. You then take a ferry to the main Island. It was fantastic!
My only surprise was when I rolled off the panga into the water to snorkel. I had been practicing in the pool at home, and the water in the Pacific was about 70-no big deal.

We do inter island hoping via small airplanes. The waves might be too rough to feel comfortable in a small ship.

The number of tourist boats is strictly limited by the Ecuadorian government; if you want to bring a boat into the market you have to buy and remove one. What this means is that all travel agents are selling the same boats and the same tours. What I did a few years ago was to sleuth out the companies that actually owned their own boats in order to eliminate an extra markup and to negotiate directly on price. It was a slow post-recession period for them and I ended up saving about 40%.

From a quick look at their web site it looks like CNH is a reseller even though they specialize in the islands. If that's the case, it is the boat operators that are getting the good reviews; I suggest that you figure out the names of the well-regarded boats and try to buy direct. No need to pay an extra 20% for a fancy reseller web site.

When comparing prices be sure you are apples to apples. In addition to the boat cost there are big park fees and there is the airfare from Guayaquil. Sometimes a low-looking price is not so low. "Oh, sorry, you wanted wheels with that car?"

We did a small ship trip there last year (Lindblad/NatGeo) and it was the best trip we ever had!

You should be fine no matter who you go with because the Ecuadorian government is extremely strict about tourism. Very small groups allowed on shore, only at specific places and times that are prearranged for minimum disruption to the animals. Very low naturalist to tourist ratio as well.

You can see from my avatar that I'm still basking in the glow of that trip.

Yeah? I was wondering why you turned into an old tortoise!

Back
Top Bottom