Colonoscopy prep / Miralax or Suprep

Thank you so much on the posts! My Suprep solution I took at 4pm and 11pm the day before my early morning procedure. It was an all liquid diet the day before also . I must have been in the bathroom at least 30 times but I really got flushed out! I only slept about 30 min that night. The doctor even noted my prep was excellent and my bowel was clean for him to inspect.

Reviving an old thread with an endorsement.

I had a colonoscopy yesterday and used SuTab as my prep. I've used the various liquid preps in the past, and was always disgusted by the vile taste and overall experience.

SuTab wasn't covered by insurance, so I had to pay $45 up front for it. By far one of the best investments I've made lately. It's so simple. 12 pills with water the evening before, and another 12 pills early on the morning of the day. Probably the best results ever -- my "output" was totally clear and the doc said it was a great prep.

The best part was that I didn't mind it a bit. It's extremely easy to do. Highly recommended if you have the option.

Thanks for the update, Braumeister.

This is from the same company that makes SuPrep. $45 isn't much in the scheme of things.

I took a look at their website and they are clear that this is an improvement over the tablets of old that were really hard on the kidneys (and required a black box warning). SuTab requires no black box warning.

I have one scheduled for Tuesday. My Cologuard came back as "abnormal":(
I have to do two doses of Miralax today. Two doses again on Sunday and then two doses of Suprep on Monday along with a light diet beginning yesterday and only liquids on Monday. Dang! I should be well cleaned out. I hate these things!

I've done suprep twice.

Did you ever see that scene in Harry Potter where Dumbldore has to drink all of the poison in order to find the horcrux? And then it turns out there wasn't really a horcrux there afterall?

I think its a bit like that.

Thankfully, no horcrux, but that's the best I can say for it!

HA - love this post. :LOL: I can't remember which one I used - some horrid orange salt tasting stuff. But it was not covered by insurance. So to add insult to injury, I had to pay $60 bucks. This was the one my doc recommended (claimed it was easier to tolerate than the stuff insurance paid for). Not so sure it was worth it.

I had a colonoscopy yesterday and used SuTab as my prep. I've used the various liquid preps in the past, and was always disgusted by the vile taste and overall experience.

It's so simple. 12 pills with water the evening before, and another 12 pills early on the morning of the day. Probably the best results ever -- my "output" was totally clear and the doc said it was a great prep.

I'm very anal about getting my colonoscopy prep done correctly, maybe I'll give SuTab a try next time.

I had my first one yesterday too. They gave me Clenpiq 2 dose, 1 @ 4pm & another @ 8...liquid diet day before too. All went well... Kinda stressed me out at first, next time not so much.

Insurance covered everything as it was my first.

I would take the tablets for sure!
Not due for another colonoscopy for a few years.

Suprep very difficult for me to drink without gagging. Way better than the Fleets I took the first time but that is about all I can say for it.

I am hoping by my next one there is another choice. I can't imagine drinking more though - I feel like my insides will explode as it is.

Last edited:

SuTab wasn't covered by insurance, so I had to pay $45 up front for it. By far one of the best investments I've made lately. It's so simple. 12 pills with water the evening before, and another 12 pills early on the morning of the day. Probably the best results ever -- my "output" was totally clear and the doc said it was a great prep.

The best part was that I didn't mind it a bit. It's extremely easy to do. Highly recommended if you have the option.

+1

I had a colonoscopy this past October, and also went the Sutab route. I paid $40, and it was well worth the cost. I had no problems getting the tablets down, and the "cleansing" occurred with relatively little discomfort.

What may also have helped was eating lighter foods the day before. My colonscopy was scheduled for a noon Monday. My last regular meal was Friday evening. I ate only soft, easy passable foods on Saturday before the Sunday "clear liquids only" diet.

I don't know what the stuff I had was but it came in a one gallon jug with powder in the bottom and a packet of flavor. So you filled up the jug and added the flavor and shook it all up and put in the fridge.

Yeah the taste was not great, but I just filled up a big tumbler and chugged it down all at once. I don't think I would pay $45 for pills that I still had to chug down a gallon of water with. I'd rather spend the $45 on a nice bottle of bourbon - :)

I made a note of Sutab - it sounds like a good option to me.

I don't know what the stuff I had was but it came in a one gallon jug with powder in the bottom and a packet of flavor. So you filled up the jug and added the flavor and shook it all up and put in the fridge.

Yeah the taste was not great, but I just filled up a big tumbler and chugged it down all at once. I don't think I would pay $45 for pills that I still had to chug down a gallon of water with. I'd rather spend the $45 on a nice bottle of bourbon - :)

Sutab requires less than a gallon, and is spread out. I recall each of the 2 doses was 16 ounces with 12 pills in about 20 minutes, then 16 ounces about an hour later, then 16 ounces about 30 minutes after that.

But, I am landlubber, so I cannot handle water as well as you sailors :).

I acquired chugging skills back at college at the Fraternity. Chugging skills were a team event - :)

I acquired chugging skills back at college at the Fraternity. Chugging skills were a team event - :)

See, now RobbieB is one of my people. Somewhere upthread I may have mentioned the same thing. I had no problem with SuPrep because I just channeled my college days and chugged it in one shot.

I will second your vote for SuTab. I'd attempted a couple years ago with SuPrep with resulting projectile vomiting from so much gagging - and had to cancel the procedure.

By the time I finally was brave enough to try again I explained my issues and they recommended SuTab. No nausea whatsoever and I followed the instructions to a "T". Doctor said it was an excellent prep.

BTW, I did the procedure with NO sedation and despite having a colon which is extra long and with an extra turn, had no problems or discomfort and will definitely repeat in ten years.

Being at higher risk than some, I’ve had several procedures. The first time was the old pills and LOTS of liquid, which wasn’t too bad. Then was the suprep liquid, ugh.

Thanks for the recommendation, as I’m due again soon. I’ll ask for the sutabs.

My first time, while I was waiting to be rolled into the procedure room I could hear the nurse asking the patient next door if he had eaten anything that morning. “Oh, no ma’am. Just a couple of scrambled eggs and some toast.” :facepalm:

BTW, I like to eat. On prep day, I drink all the regular Mt. Dew I want, drink plenty of clear broth, and consume quite a bit of honey.

Doctor has always been happy with that.

Scrambled eggs and toast are nowhere to be found. :facepalm:

See, now RobbieB is one of my people. Somewhere upthread I may have mentioned the same thing. I had no problem with SuPrep because I just channeled my college days and chugged it in one shot.

Hehe, Yeah Baby! If something tastes bad you certainly don't want to sip it and prolong the agony.

And I've given up chugging beer too in my old age - :)

But Colon Blow...by all means. I can do a pint in under 5 seconds - :)

Sutab requires less than a gallon, and is spread out. I recall each of the 2 doses was 16 ounces with 12 pills in about 20 minutes, then 16 ounces about an hour later, then 16 ounces about 30 minutes after that.

Exactly. The extra $5 I paid was for four chewable simethicone tablets that I had to take (with just a glass of water) in between the two Sutab doses. That was to eliminate gas buildup in the intestine (which is why some of those preps cause a bloated feeling).

Very happy with the whole process, and even happier that this was, in all likelihood, my very last colonoscopy ever!

I told me wife about the method for prep. She said she was aware of the product and she would like to take the pills rather than drink the solution. Like she said it does depend on Doc if they will allow that choice.

I told me wife about the method for prep. She said she was aware of the product and she would like to take the pills rather than drink the solution. Like she said it does depend on Doc if they will allow that choice.

Mine offered the choice of several types of prep. They describe them all and let you choose. I asked for the SuTab, and was told of the cost, since it wasn't covered. But $45 to avoid the nasty stuff was well worth it to me. Certainly worth asking for it.

Dang! Mine were 2 small bottles with fruity flavors. About the size of a small Nyquil bottle. Not much chugging here. I did have to down 40 oz of water within 4 hours of the first & 24 oz after the second. It definitely worked...

Dang! Mine were 2 small bottles with fruity flavors. About the size of a small Nyquil bottle. Not much chugging here. I did have to down 40 oz of water within 4 hours of the first & 24 oz after the second. It definitely worked...

SuPrep is only 6 oz, but you have to mix it with water to equal 16 oz.

"Drink chug-a-lug, drink chug-a-lug."

Then follow it up with 32 oz water in 2 hours. I chug those too.

Next morning, do it all over again.

Back
Top Bottom