Colorado in Early April

By unattractive I mean crowded, overbuilt, beetle kill forests, busy highway corridor. There are so many incredibly beautiful parts of Colorado, but it requires a little bit of a drive off the major highways so most people don’t take the time to visit them. One of the prettiest drives in the state is just east of the Utah border along the Delores River. We saw maybe 2 cars and a motorcyclist in the hour or so it took to drive the canyon up to Gateway. There is also a cool car museum in Gateway owned by the guy who started the Discovery Channel. Classic Cars at The Gateway Colorado Auto Museum

Then I agree it was unattractive, unfortunately the beetle kill forests seem to be everywhere. ....it's a big problem in that area.

Have found early September a good time to visit CO, good hiking/biking, less crowded then the summer months, and Oktoberfest activities on weekends (Beaver Creek, Vail, Breckenridge) that are lots of fun.

It's possible I might wait until then. Still hot here in early Sept so would be a good get away. I was just thinking about breaking up the Summer. Of course anywhere you go during the Summer is crowded if it's a pretty area.

It's possible I might wait until then. Still hot here in early Sept so would be a good get away. I was just thinking about breaking up the Summer. Of course anywhere you go during the Summer is crowded if it's a pretty area.
Second week in September can be awesome in RMNP. It's Elk rut and they put on a show.

Then I agree it was unattractive, unfortunately the beetle kill forests seem to be everywhere. ....it's a big problem in that area.

There’s large parts of the state without the beetle blight. Unfortunately Grand and Summit counties are the hardest hit and that is where most tourists go.

Utah has been hit hard with beetle blight...so many dead trees...

A real shame. They were one of my favorite bands...

If there were only 4 beetles eating the trees, it wouldn't be a problem:LOL:

Having lived in Colorado for 25+ years while I'll agree that mud season is to be avoided you have a good chance of decent weather in a (very) few parts of the state in April. Fruita near Grand Junction is a mountain biking mecca that'd be on your way to Moab anyway, and in south central Colorado Cañon City, about an. hour west of Pueblo, has the mildest climate in the state, fantastic mountain biking and hiking and is also an under-the-radar retirement place. It's quite conservative but there's a great outdoor scene, a good brew pub and plenty of places to explore. You could easily luck out and have sunshine and highs in the high 60's or low 70's that time of year. Otherwise Canyonlands!

Last Fall we were in the Aspen/Crested Butte area the third week of September and the colors were hitting their peak.

Attachments

• CO1.jpg
    CO1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 20
Early last October

Attachments

• 20171006_140120.jpg
    20171006_140120.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I can't update the above. This is a week later in Silverton. Should be a train down there.

20171011_130915.jpg

April is early for hiking in the high mountains unless you like snow-shoeing. Most ski resorts will still be open. This hasn't been the snowiest of winters, but you're still looking at snow above 10,000 ft till sometime in May. That said, the foothills are wonderful to hike in at that time of the year. Get yourself a pair of micro-spikes because there may still be ice on the trails when they pass through thick forest or on northern slopes.

The southern areas may be better. Using Durango as a base, you could see Ouray and Telluride, visit Mesa Verde, go east to the Great Sand Dunes National Park. The Crested Butte area is beautiful, but its quite high up. We hiked there at the end of May one year and enjoyed it though we had stay low. Don't know what its like in April. If in that area, you could also check out the Black Canyon of Gunnison NP.

The eastern plains will be fine, but most people don't think of that when they think of Colorado. We haven't done much on the Western Slope of Colorado, but that could be an option.

The Santa Fe suggestion is sound. Or consider Utah near Moab.

+1. I would add Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction.

When does fall color hit the higher elevations in Colorado?

In the mountains within an hour of so of Denver, mid-to-late September. If you come to see the fall colors, keep your schedule flexible so you can react to the season. The "peak" sometimes lasts only a few days in the high country. A storm can wipe out the leaves in an area overnight.

This was taken on 9/25/15 hiking near Kenosha Pass.

Attachments

• Kenosha Pass-6.jpg
    Kenosha Pass-6.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom