Combining IRAs in Vanguard

yofi

Dryer sheet aficionado
I noticed I have a traditional, SEP and rollover IRA account in Vanguard, is there any downside to consolidating them into one IRA account?

I also have a Roth that I know is separate.

My question would be can you?

They usually try and keep the info of where the money came from for some reason, but I do not know why...

AFAIK, in certain states IRAs that originate from 401ks receive additional protection from creditors. That extra protection would be lost if such an IRA were combined with one from a non-401k source.

AFAIK, in certain states IRAs that originate from 401ks receive additional protection from creditors. That extra protection would be lost if such an IRA were combined with one from a non-401k source.

Ah ok, makes sense, I'll just leave them all separate then.

I have insurance and won't be declaring bankruptcy so I just merged the 3 for convenience/simplicity. That was back when you could easily call Vanguard and talk to a representative .

This may not matter to you but ... if you invest in brokered CDs and you do Roth conversions then ... Vanguard will not allow you to Roth convert a CD, only the entire IRA account. So, that could be one reason to not combine accounts. Fidelity, by the way, allows you to Roth convert a CD and even part of a CD.

This may not matter to you but ... if you invest in brokered CDs and you do Roth conversions then ... Vanguard will not allow you to Roth convert a CD, only the entire IRA account. So, that could be one reason to not combine accounts. Fidelity, by the way, allows you to Roth convert a CD and even part of a CD.

They may have very, very recently changed this to convert in $1,000 increments. (I'll pop over and look later today or tomorrow.)

Back
Top Bottom