Community College Grads?

For me, I don't believe I would have finished 4 years of college right out of HS. Being from a very small rural school I really don't think I could have handled the large college atmosphere.

The CC was a great fit and with many there that had the same background and came from surrounding towns and some I actually knew helped being away from home. I adjusted better and was excepted and could get involved with so many more things in a small CC.

I got 3 AAS degrees from my time in the Air Force. Most of the credits came from courses required for job training, while the traditional courses were taught by various schools. I also took advantage of tuition assistance that paid for my BS and MA degrees. After I retired, I used my GI Bill to get my JD (law school).

I could probably be a poster child for college education being paid for by military service, especially since I was a HS drop out when I joined. The best part? All those degrees combined probably cost me less than $5,000 out of pocket.

For me, I don't believe I would have finished 4 years of college right out of HS. Being from a very small rural school I really don't think I could have handled the large college atmosphere.

The CC was a great fit and with many there that had the same background and came from surrounding towns and some I actually knew helped being away from home. I adjusted better and was excepted and could get involved with so many more things in a small CC.

+1

I didn't like high school that much. I did okay, not good enough to probably get into the local prestigious colleges. I wasn't getting along great with my friends and family and after I had my graduation party at my parents house, I got in my car and drove as far south as I could before hitting the gulf of mexico. I ended up in Mississippi lol. Stayed with my cousin while I attended CC. I paid for the first semester myself with my DF promising he would repay me if I got B's or better. I got a C in Calculus so he never did repay me. I drove home after my first semester because I was broke, and working at Wal-mart wasn't going to allow me to keep going to CC without taking out loans which I was against.

I joined the USAF. Took some more CC classes through the military. When I got out, I went back to CC for Business Administration and took a few part time classes. It never added up to a degree, mainly because I went to so many different colleges where none of my credits transferred to a viable degree.

I turned out alright, and ended up working for some banks and investment firms around town in the IT department. I can't say college didn't help, as I learned some important skills and how to be a little more extroverted.

I did like the teacher's I had at CC and never attended a 4 yr state or public university so I can't compare to that. I remember one of my college professors back in 2002 totally obsessed with how Globalization was going to be a massive "thing". FF to today, and I couldn't disagree with him. It seems like everything is now globally connected one way or another.

The best class I took was Business 101 or something similar where I learned how to start a business, the different business types you can create, the different accounting methods one can use etc. It has really helped me get an edge, as I've owned a few businesses that got me through the "tough times" and now own my own consulting business' so I get paid Corp 2 Corp, vs a Full Time salary with benefits...C2C commands a higher hourly "rate" so I am making out handsomely and just handling all the taxes and insurance myself.

I have some CC classes and credits. In high school myself and others in the highest math levels went to the local CC for calculus, since it wasn't offered at the high school. Received college credit, not high school, which were transferable and did transfer to my state university. Sort of an advanced placement before that was a thing in high schools.

I also took a CC welding course that was part of the welding certification program while I was on co-op during college. Most all the students were in the program to become certified welders for a job. I just took it for fun and to learn welding better. I had the highest test scores on the written tests in the class, helped by the fact I was Metallurgical Engr major in college. In fact I didn't even study for the tests, finished them first, and got highest score. The teacher knew I was MetE in college, and he was a great instructor. I also did quite well on the practical welding tests, but wasn't best in class for those. The CC instructors did seem to be mostly people that came from the working world and much more practical in their teaching than the more academic only professors at state university.

It's great to see many of you took advantage of the CC route. I think that is smart and a good way to get started especially if you are not sure on the path out of high school. Back in my CC days, the cost of a course was like $10-12 per credit hour. Although in defense, my state university was about $325-350 per quarter; so approx $1000 year. CC was still less, but I think the gap is a lot wider now.

Last edited:
I was homeless so had to decide what made more sense .... finish high school or fake my way into college. Took 1 night class, next semester enrolled as a continuing student, after a year did summer school at SFSU, then transferred to Berkeley. Right before I graduated the registrar noticed that my HS diploma was missing. Yes, definitely not there. Still haven't gotten one but all grad school cared about was my BA

Every professor knew my situation and every one was supportive. Even when a paper was late

Last edited:
I was homeless so had to decide what made more sense .... finish high school or fake my way into college. Took 1 night class, next semester enrolled as a continuing student, after a year did summer school at SFSU, then transferred to Berkeley. Right before I graduated the registrar noticed that my HS diploma was missing. Yes, definitely not there. Still haven't gotten one but all grad school cared about was my BA

Every professor knew my situation and every one was supportive. Even when a paper was late

Wow! From homeless to Grad school. An impressive feat. I remember reading somewhere that folks who have faced immense adversity often have stories of incredible perseverance and drive/motivation. How did you end up homeless if you don't mind me asking? And you ERd as well! Incredible.

I have some CC classes and credits. In high school myself and others in the highest math levels went to the local CC for calculus, since it wasn't offered at the high school. Received college credit, not high school, which were transferable and did transfer to my state university. Sort of an advanced placement before that was a thing in high schools.

I also took a CC welding course that was part of the welding certification program while I was on co-op during college. Most all the students were in the program to become certified welders for a job. I just took it for fun and to learn welding better. I had the highest test scores on the written tests in the class, helped by the fact I was Metallurgical Engr major in college. In fact I didn't even study for the tests, finished them first, and got highest score. The teacher knew I was MetE in college, and he was a great instructor. I also did quite well on the practical welding tests, but wasn't best in class for those. The CC instructors did seem to be mostly people that came from the working world and much more practical in their teaching than the more academic only professors at state university.

It's great to see many of you took advantage of the CC route. I think that is smart and a good way to get started especially if you are not sure on the path out of high school. Back in my CC days, the cost of a course was like $10-12 per credit hour. Although in defense, my state university was about $325-350 per quarter; so approx $1000 year. CC was still less, but I think the gap is a lot wider now.

You make a great point. One of my most affluent instructors in CC was teaching my Construction Management class I took at night. He owned a multi-million dollar well established and well known Engineering firm in town. He had designed some of our cities most recognizable (and largest scale) projects...like the Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome for instance. I remember thinking, if these professors are so great and knowledgeable why aren't they practicing in their own specialties and why are they teaching. Then I came across the Instructor/Professor that owned that Engineering firm, and he explained that he felt it was important to pass along his knowledge and wisdom to younger generations. (The guy was pushing 80 and definitely didn't need the $$).

Very interesting!!
You did very well and took hard work. Great job!

Yes, the CC where I went and many (most?) of the CCs in Maryland have accreditations and agreements that all classes are transferable to Maryland U. and I think most other four-year schools in MD.

Florida has the same agreement between state CC (now referred to as State College) and the state Universities. My wife went to an excellent large State College in our area for her Associate Degree and later finished at the State University across the street to graduate Cum Laude with her Bachelors Degree. I think she received a good foundation at the College.

Cheers!

... Florida has the same agreement between state CC (now referred to as State College) and the state Universities. ...

Not all Florida community colleges have changed names to "State College". Only the CCs that now offer limited 4-year degrees have done this name change.

Not all Florida community colleges have changed names to "State College". Only the CCs that now offer limited 4-year degrees have done this name change.

I believe there are 28 Colleges in Florida and only 2 (Hillsborough and Tallahassee) still have their name reflecting "Community". Regardless they all have the same agreement with the State Universities for transfer.

Cheers!

Transfer agreements are great. Families save money on the tuition, plus in our state the 4 years have to allow students to graduate in no more than 2 more years as long as they fulfill they side of the contract. No more spending 6 years in college involuntarily because the classes kids need weren't offered or full, or having to repeat similar courses because the credits didn't transfer.

Being from a very small rural school I really don't think I could have handled the large college atmosphere.

Being from a very large urban school (Chicago Public Schools) I really don't think I could have handled the large college atmosphere.

I remember thinking, if these professors are so great and knowledgeable why aren't they practicing in their own specialties and why are they teaching.

I agree. I took on a new j*b at megacorp and learned my profession the hard way. Years later, I became an instructor and helped to set up a university degree program in my new profession. I thought I would be a good instructor because I actually did the w*rk. The professor - who had only done a little consulting w*rk in the field prior to becoming a professor agreed - plus megacorp supported the program by allowing me to use company equipment for lab w*rk. The program eventually competed equally with other universities known for the degree. I got compliments over the years on the program. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom