Comparison Site for Vanguard/TDAmeritrade Funds

stevemac

Recycles dryer sheets
Greetings:

I have Vanguard ETF/Funds in my TDAmeritrade account and am considering switching to the same (or as close as possible) TDA funds to save on trading costs. The Funds involved are VTSAX and VDADX. I checked similarstocks.com but it does not include TDA.

I like having the TDA office nearby and would like to stay there, but as some/most of you may already know TDA can charge a high cost to trade Vanguard funds.

As an aside, I also have a Schwab account, and similarstocks.com works with Schwab, but if anyone knows of an alternate comparison site for Vanguard/Schwab, for VTI, BND and/or SCHP, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

TDA does not charge anything to trade stocks or ETFs now so why not just use the ETF version of whatever Vanguard fund you prefer? I am at TDA and currently own a few Vanguard ETFs - no trading costs for those.

TDA does not charge anything to trade stocks or ETFs now so why not just use the ETF version of whatever Vanguard fund you prefer? I am at TDA and currently own a few Vanguard ETFs - no trading costs for those.

Thanks for responding. I wrote the thread because I get the following message when I got to trade VTSAX on TDA:

"Fund name: VANGUARD TOTAL STOCK MARKET INDEX FUND ADMIRAL
Fund symbol: VTSAX
This fund is a transaction fee fund.
Notice: Be aware that this transaction is subject to a TD Ameritrade fee."

I think it's time I call and ask for clarification. :)

Thanks again for the response.

VTI is the ETF version of VTSAX -- there is a fee to trade VTSAX but not to trade VTI.
VIG is the ETF version of VDADX.

Last edited:
Update:

I spoke with TDA and it does in fact charge for mutual funds ($49.99), plus an additional same amount if you've held the fund less than 180 days. But no fee for the ETF version of a fund (here, VTI instead of VTSAX).

I learned something new.

VTI is the ETF version of VTSAX -- there is a fee to trade VTSAX but not to trade VTI.
VIG is the ETF version of VDADX.

I found out the same information from my phone call. I should have come back to the thread while I was on hold! :)

I don't recall why last year I went with VTSAX at TDAmeritrade, but VTI at Schwab, but today I learned something new. :)

Thanks again for the help.

Greetings:

I have Vanguard ETF/Funds in my TDAmeritrade account and am considering switching to the same (or as close as possible) TDA funds to save on trading costs. The Funds involved are VTSAX and VDADX. I checked similarstocks.com but it does not include TDA.

I like having the TDA office nearby and would like to stay there, but as some/most of you may already know TDA can charge a high cost to trade Vanguard funds.

As an aside, I also have a Schwab account, and similarstocks.com works with Schwab, but if anyone knows of an alternate comparison site for Vanguard/Schwab, for VTI, BND and/or SCHP, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Call your investment contact at TDA or the 1-800#. That fee can be negotiated based on account size.

I’m charged $14.95 to purchase VWINX and FFNOX. I’m planning to purchase some VGWIX once a bond matures in a few weeks. Again, the out of network charge will be $14.95.

By the way, I purchase large positions and reinvest the dividends and there is no charge for this. At some point, I’m going to use the aforementioned funds to pay out dividends and I’ll just take a quarterly withdrawal when I want money.

I

or just wait. Schwab is buying TDAmeritrade, so your local office will either be closed or have a Schwab sign installed on the front. Either way, it is highly likely that Schwab's rules and fees will apply to your account fairly soon.

At some point it would not surprise me if most or all TDAm funds will be merged into similar Schwab funds as well.

I have used Vanguard ETFs with no-commission at TDAmeritrade for more than 10 years. It is rather strange to me that some customers of TDAmeritrade did not know that there has been a list of no-commission ETFs at TDAmeritrade for more than 10 years.

The list has changed over the years, but recently TDAmeritrade capitulated and made virtually all ETFs no-commission because practically every other broker has done the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom