Computers - Planning My Next Build

Okay. Did some more poking around. Installed the current version of Virtualbox by command line. That got passed the error trying to download the Guest Additions with the previous release. So, I was able to run in seamless mode. Figured out how to copy/paste text back and forth. Haven't figured out how to share files yet.
A couple of ways to share files, the simplest is to go to the devices menu on the virtual box frame, or to settings on the virtual box manager for the vm in question and select to share a folder from the host to the guest. You select automount and the additional file system appears. As usual there is a second way by setting up samba which how to do it does depend on the distribution, but eventually you want to export the desired folder. If as you suggest you are on Ubuntu here is a link to set up a samba server on ubuntu. You would then mount network drive on the windows guest. https://www.tecmint.com/install-samba-on-ubuntu-for-file-sharing-on-windows/ but the first option is far easier to do. There are lots of web pages detailing how to set up samba on your distribution.

I got seamless mode working while testing with Virtualbox. My understanding is seamless mode makes it appear as you virtualized machine is running as though it is not virtulized. Helpful for me as I want to run a Windows password gernerator and have quick copy and pasting without too many mouseclicks.

A couple of ways to share files, the simplest is to go to the devices menu on the virtual box frame, or to settings on the virtual box manager for the vm in question and select to share a folder from the host to the guest. You select automount and the additional file system appears. As usual there is a second way by setting up samba which how to do it does depend on the distribution, but eventually you want to export the desired folder. If as you suggest you are on Ubuntu here is a link to set up a samba server on ubuntu. You would then mount network drive on the windows guest. https://www.tecmint.com/install-samba-on-ubuntu-for-file-sharing-on-windows/ but the first option is far easier to do. There are lots of web pages detailing how to set up samba on your distribution.

I was able to set up file sharing with virtualbox between host anr guest.

But thanks for the link about samba. I will have to read about that anyhow. If not just dor curiosity.

No. The are other generatoes of course. But this one on Windows, I'm just one quicklaunch away for having a good complex password. Not many mouseclicks like in some.

I was able to set up file sharing with virtualbox between host anr guest.

But thanks for the link about samba. I will have to read about that anyhow. If not just dor curiosity.
Linux boxes for modern distributions have both Samba (windows file sharing) and NFS (Network File System for Linux to Unix communications) NFS was pioneered by Sun Microsystems in the mid 1980s. Of course if you set it up correctly you can also connect linux to linux with samba as well.(Actually easier than setting up NFS)
As was noted (although I have not tried it) it is possible to set samba up as a windows domain controller to provide a single sign on capability. The way large companies handle lots of pcs with file servers and possibly exchange. (The ability to join a domain is limited to pro and up versions of modern windows systems)

So the Windows password generator has no version to run in linux ?

Still doing some alternative program browsing. Did find a password manager, KeePassXC which is comparable to the password manager I currently use. The program is cross platform (works on Win, Mac and Linus) and does have a built-in password generator. Overall, I still like some features more of my current setup with the manager and easier password generation, but KeepPassXC is definitely a possible alternative. Plus, may be more convenient after all, since I'd want to run natively as often as possible. I nice feature of KeepPassXC is the ability to import from CSV file, which I did to test with my current password database. No need to re-enter about 200 passwords! Testing only on Windows for now.

Still doing some alternative program browsing. Did find a password manager, KeePassXC which is comparable to the password manager I currently use. The program is cross platform (works on Win, Mac and Linus) and does have a built-in password generator. Overall, I still like some features more of my current setup with the manager and easier password generation, but KeepPassXC is definitely a possible alternative. Plus, may be more convenient after all, since I'd want to run natively as often as possible. I nice feature of KeepPassXC is the ability to import from CSV file, which I did to test with my current password database. No need to re-enter about 200 passwords! Testing only on Windows for now.

Interesting, I use KeePass https://keepass.info/

Which what KeepPassXC , which forked from KeepPassL forked from.
I can see, why sometimes, as KeePass has a sometimes poorly displayed manner of the interface, the font's get weird sometimes.

I might migrate :)

I received my HP 6300 sff today from Newegg. This is refurbished small factor desktop pc with an I7 processor, 8 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD. Cost was $249. The Newegg ad said this was a grade "B" refurbish with scratches dents and so forth. I can not find a single scratch dent, or any other blemish. The PC looks brand new inside and out, completely clean no dust bunnies anywhere. Microsoft accepted the furnished windows 10 key so it came with a legitimate copy of windows 10. Everything seems to work so far and am now going thru Win 10 update hell. Jeez, it takes half an hour at most to install Linux get all updates and be done!

So, for your "new" pc, are you trying to go with Win 10 or use Linux?

Been doing some more reading/poking around in Linux. Glad it's not only me who finds all the various methods of package management a bit cumbersome. For me, that's probably the #1 reason haven't dove in yet to switch from Win where to install something is just a matter of downloading and EXE and double clicking.

That said, now I'm two legs in the linux water instead of one.

Been doing some more reading/poking around in Linux. Glad it's not only me who finds all the various methods of package management a bit cumbersome. For me, that's probably the #1 reason haven't dove in yet to switch from Win where to install something is just a matter of downloading and EXE and double clicking.

I use opensuse, and it automatically checks once a day to see if there are updates and notifies you. For installing new packages and a lot of other tasks there is yast their sysadmin tool. If you want to add a new package you bring up the add software option there, and then type the name in, and click accept and it is installed.

I use opensuse, and it automatically checks once a day to see if there are updates and notifies you. For installing new packages and a lot of other tasks there is yast their sysadmin tool. If you want to add a new package you bring up the add software option there, and then type the name in, and click accept and it is installed.

When installing is opensuse something you can chose, or is are you pretty dependent on whatever package is with the distro? Of course, there is the command line too.

In the distro I'm using, Linux Lite, there is a repository that looks tailored to that distro but has a limited number of packages. There is also the synaptic. I was using Peppermint OS as the distro which used the software manager same as Linux Mint, but decided to go with Linux Lite as the interface I think is more friendly for linux noobs :rolleyes:.

I was playing around today with appimage. Plus, there is the command line.

Well, I've been using the win 10 that came pre installed in the computer and after update hell it seems to be working OK. I do find myself going back to my ancient pc with Linux mint periodically since I do miss the Linux look and feel. I've been pondering whether to install Linux in a dual boot configuration but it seems to me that with a 250 GB SSD I really ought to pick one or the other.

That's pretty much the way it works in Linux Mint as well (but no need to type in, it just lists the updates which one can select or not). I suspect a lot of Linux distros share a common approach to updates. I've only tried the more common ones ( Ubuntu, Linux Mint) and a variety of front ends (XFCE, Cinnamon, Unity, XDE, Mate) finally settled on Linux Mint XFCE but it was really a lot of fun to try the other ones. I haven't gone into some of the lesser traveled back roads of Linux but I'm sure as I settle into this ER business (I've only been at it for 15 years) I'll travel some of those backroads

Last edited:
When installing is opensuse something you can chose, or is are you pretty dependent on whatever package is with the distro? Of course, there is the command line too.

In the distro I'm using, Linux Lite, there is a repository that looks tailored to that distro but has a limited number of packages. There is also the synaptic. I was using Peppermint OS as the distro which used the software manager same as Linux Mint, but decided to go with Linux Lite as the interface I think is more friendly for linux noobs :rolleyes:.

I was playing around today with appimage. Plus, there is the command line.
Opensuse is a distinct distro that will give you a choice of a KDE or gnome interface when installing it. You download the distro write it to a cd or usb stick and install. I first delt with suse about 10 releases ago. Of course I spent from 1986 to 1993 being a unix sysadmin. (Sun Workstations SGI workstations, IBM Risk os and Convex computers). Yast does make a lot of set up much easier as it has forms to help you set up for example samba etc.
So for example you can choose in the ubuntu heritage kubuntu which is the KDE interface (which is more windows like than the gnome interface).

Well, I've been using the win 10 that came pre installed in the computer and after update hell it seems to be working OK. I do find myself going back to my ancient pc with Linux mint periodically since I do miss the Linux look and feel. I've been pondering whether to install Linux in a dual boot configuration but it seems to me that with a 250 GB SSD I really ought to pick one or the other.
How much memory does the newer computer have? If 8 gb or above, you can install virtualbox on windows10 and then run various linux guests on it. (or if you have windows 10 pro you can try the built in hypervisor, if you have the virtualization hardware which newer machines all have.)

Opensuse is a distinct distro that will give you a choice of a KDE or gnome interface when installing it. You download the distro write it to a cd or usb stick and install. I first delt with suse about 10 releases ago. Of course I spent from 1986 to 1993 being a unix sysadmin. (Sun Workstations SGI workstations, IBM Risk os and Convex computers). Yast does make a lot of set up much easier as it has forms to help you set up for example samba etc.
So for example you can choose in the ubuntu heritage kubuntu which is the KDE interface (which is more windows like than the gnome interface).

Ok. That was what I thought about Opensuse a distinct distro. Have heard the name a few times.

How much memory does the newer computer have? If 8 gb or above, you can install virtualbox on windows10 and then run various linux guests on it. (or if you have windows 10 pro you can try the built in hypervisor, if you have the virtualization hardware which newer machines all have.)
I do have 8 gb and windows 10 pro. I'll google hypervisor or if there is a quick primer you can point me to I would appreciate it.

I don’t care much about sound :) as use only for limited apps, one being Quicken

Had a chance to do some more poking around. I got an old copy of Win 7 and installed with that on KVM. Sound comes through okay. I guess the no sound issue was due to my old version of Win XP.

I'll probably still end up using Virtualbox eventually. Clunkier, I think than KVM but has that seamless thing again.

With KVM, I didn't know how to get the internal DVD write working, but was able to use an external DVD burner for some testing.

Ready or not ... here the build comes.

Kind of anti-climatic as just a short moment ago, bought a fixer-upper used Dell, i7-870, 8GB midtower. No OS (plan is to install with Linux), No HD. Total price of system (includes shipping and bought some HD caddies, as didn't come with) $89.89.

Not a build from scratch, but more a future patch job.

The only reason I run windows is for Turbo Tax. Otherwise Ubuntu has worked well for me.

Ready or not ... here the build comes.

Kind of anti-climatic as just a short moment ago, bought a fixer-upper used Dell, i7-870, 8GB midtower. No OS (plan is to install with Linux), No HD. Total price of system (includes shipping and bought some HD caddies, as didn't come with) $89.89.

Not a build from scratch, but more a future patch job.

I-7 processor...great! Who was the supplier?

You are welcome. Note that the bios admin password on them need a resest. But that shouldn't he an issue for foljs who like that kind of stuff, myself included :)

Back
Top Bottom