Confused 30 Year Old

I crossed $500k in the summer, but then took on a mortgage.

Since the beginning of 2021, I Moved from Arizona to California back to Arizona. Sold a 1 BR Co-op right before the market started heating up, bought a 2BR condo about a month ago, a relatively bad time but it's nice having space to comfortably Work From Home.

I switched gears in my government agency - from auditing to facilities management. It has been fun to try something totally different.

Still hopelessly single though. :(

Your greatest allies are TIME and COMPOUNDING.
And you've got a good start on a long term savings program.
Just keep on saving, and pay close attention to the market and which equities are in vogue at the time. Be moderately aggressive.
You have the time to be fully funded and ride out any expected peaks and valleys.
And don't forget to enjoy life while you're saving.

You are only 36. I started saving from 0 when I was 36. I am 44 now, still single, and I don't think it will change.

I do have $1m nw and look forward to retire when I am 54. Hopefully by then I have relatively good health because One of my plans after FIRE is live on the road for several years.

You are only 36. I started saving from 0 when I was 36. I am 44 now, still single, and I don't think it will change.

I do have $1m nw and look forward to retire when I am 54. Hopefully by then I have relatively good health because One of my plans after FIRE is live on the road for several years.

Nice! I was on the road for about 2 months in 2017, but I found it a bit lonely. I had originally planned to go an entire year, see a bunch of different national parks, but obviously that didn't happen.

Right now my plan is to in government until 57, when I'm eligible for lifetime retiree health insurance, but that could certainly change.

... With the spring 2020 crash, I did not sell anything, I also did not look at my balances for my typical monthly account check.
You are wiser than most. We've been riding Mr. Market since the 1987 crash and have done exactly as you have done. It gets easier and easier as you keep doing it.

Don't worry too much confusion is part of your growth talking from a personal experience. It's okay to get confused before reaching your goal. so it won't be a problem in a very years of time.

Back
Top Bottom