Consolidated 2020 (2d half) RIP Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I ever saw him without a cigarette in his mouth or his headstock, even in a few videos. At least, back in the day. Not sure about more recently. It's a huge loss, but not a surprise to me.
A few years back, I went to see an exhibit of guitars belonging to famous musicians at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. His had charred spots on the headstock from where his cigarettes had burned down while still wedged under the strings.

As someone who was heavily into hard-ish rock in the 70's, 80's, and beyond, I never really "got" Van Halen. The band or the guy.

Eddie always struck me as a very fast, clean, guitar exhibitionist, not a musician. For great rock musicians, see Blackmore, Clapton, and Schenker (Michael, not Rudi).

David Lee Roth always sounded to me like some drunk guy they pulled out of the crowd when the real singer didn't show up. For great rock singers, see Janis, Paul Rogers, and Lou Graham.

Ok, commence throwing things. I'm already ducking. :hide:

A few weeks back Valerie Bertinelli gave an hour long interview about her life. Like many rockers, Eddie engaged in drugs and drink but Valerie had so many warm and loving things to say about him. He was kind and generous. She did not like David Lee Roth, a bully and a jerk.

I don't think I ever saw him without a cigarette in his mouth or his headstock, even in a few videos. At least, back in the day. Not sure about more recently. It's a huge loss, but not a surprise to me.

Remember the cover for his album 1984? Baby New Year with a smoke in his hand.

I'm feeling older by the minute. All my heroes are leaving too early.

Loved the guy. He was already a popstar in the sixties and on a trip to Jamaica gave a lot of support (and later a record deal) to Bob Marley and the Wailers. First American (he was born in Texas) to do Reggae. Will be missed. Check out this wonderful rendition of his 1972 hit, "I can see clearly now." https://youtu.be/HbX87g7wzJI

-BB

RIP - Whitey Ford

RIP - Whitey Ford :(.
Hall of Fame pitcher Whitey Ford, the New York Yankees’ cheerful ‘Chairman of the Board,’ whose big-game reputation and World Series accomplishments secured his place among baseball’s greatest left-handers, has passed away at age 91.
"The Yankees are incredibly saddened to learn of the passing of Hall of Famer Whitey Ford,'' the club said in a statement Friday. "The Chairman of the Board was one of the best lefties to ever toe the rubber. He will be deeply missed.''
A quintessential New Yorker, raised in the Astoria, Queens, the 5-foot-10 inch Ford used excellent control – and perhaps a scuffed ball on occasion later in his career – to compile a 236-106 record and 2.75 ERA over 16 big-league seasons.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ees-hall-fame-pitcher-dies-age-91/5938471002/

I had a childhood friend who was the spitting image of Whitey Ford. We always joked that it would have been much better if he could have pitched liked Whitey instead.

Glory Days. RIP Whitey

OMG, they are dropping like flies. (and not fly balls)

Another one that I remember well.... RIP

Boy, hearing this makes me feel old. I was a young boy in grade school, and then high school, when he was in his prime. I was and still am a big Yankee fan.

As a childhood fan of the Yankees, Whitey was one of my favs. It's a bit of a sad feeling seeing so many of our heroes from a different era passing.

He was a monster in historical fantasy baseball - always a high draft pick. This was because he was durable and consistent. I liked to have Whitey and Old Hoss Radbourn as my lefty-righty ace starters.

I always chuckled at his beer commercials.:LOL: I think of Whitey's tenure as the Golden Age of baseball though YMMV.

I love hearing the stories of the Yankee teams he played on. Whitey would socialize with Mickey Mantle & Billy Martin after the games at a local bar. When the fights would break out it was Whitey's job to guard the drinks.

With all that’s going on in the world, a little JP seems appropriate today.

RIP Roberta McCain

Senator John McCain's mother passed away at 108 years. RIP Mrs McCain!

The picture of her at her son John McCain's funeral absolutely broke my heart. No parent should have to bury their child.

She was a feisty woman, no doubt. R.I.P. Mrs. McCain.

Here in the Islands, long life is almost accepted. I just lost a male friend at age 100. I have a female friend who is 104. I probably know a dozen folks (mostly female) in their 90s. Amazingly, most of these aged folks are still fairly sharp and most even still get around pretty well.

108 for Mrs. McCain is still quite amazing. RIP indeed.

RIP
Also his group obviously included the great Stevie Winwood singing at only 15 years old!

Very sad. But what a great performance of that song!

I recall when it first came out, over a crappy AM radio, I wasn't sure what the instrument was - distorted harmonica, maybe playing with an organ? I just never heard that distorted (in a very good way!) Hammond organ sound before. In this video, you can hear a lot of variation in the sounds, mellow, bright, with and without the fast rotary/Leslie speaker, various levels of distortion. He really new how to work that thing.

ETA: At 1:17 to 1:20, listen for these little highly distorted key 'slaps', just a little accent. I love that sound!

A few years ago, I bought a "clonewheel" keyboard, a Crumar Mojo61, which does a very faithful replication of a Hammond, complete with rotary speaker and distortion simulation. I love playing some of this tune, and it needs the distortion cranked up all the way for that famous intro! Fun stuff!

-ERD50

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom